Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Agree completely. I've watched Denmark, Greece and Portugal win this thing. Despite our insipid, imagination-free, dullard of a manager, and his squad of injured and out of form players, far stranger things have happened than England doing very well.

I think a lot of international success is determined by the likeability of the manager. Capello was a top coach but clearly didn't get on with the team. Southgate is probably more likely to succeed. Whatever people feel about him as a tactician, they seem to play for him. That's half the battle. A number of managers have won these tournaments without top CVs. Aimé Jacquet was a prime example.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Chances of Ben White being included, slim.

It’s funny really, he’s probably our fourth best centre back after Dunk, Webster and Veltman (who obviously couldn’t be chosen for England). I hope he is in the finals but why select him now and not during the warm up games. Baffling, confusing stuff from the management of England.

I do agree with the theory.
Assuming the theory is 'you'll clearly be here one day let's get the jitters out of the way now, have a good look at you, then when you're ready there's nothing in the way'.

Sven did it with Walcott great idea, right up until you realise he had 47 caps and a handful of goals in 11 years as an international.
At that point it looks a bit shite.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Agree completely. I've watched Denmark, Greece and Portugal win this thing. Despite our insipid, imagination-free, dullard of a manager, and his squad of injured and out of form players, far stranger things have happened than England doing very well.

Harsh on Southgate who’s results have been very good overall which people seem to have forgotten - he’s done far better than many expected. 7 of the squad just played in the biggest club final of all, 4 played in the Europa final - I really wouldn’t say out of form squad is fair.

And don’t get me started on the Southgate doesn’t pick BHA players cos he’s palace rubbish - he’s a professional, he’s made a terrible decision picking Mings etc ahead of Dunk but the White thing just made that mad palace theory of some even more laughable...

It seems the negativity on Southgate not picking Dunk has suddenly made his record with England shit to some - when it’s actually pretty decent.

Get behind the lads this Summer and enjoy it everyone :thumbsup:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think a lot of international success is determined by the likeability of the manager. Capello was a top coach but clearly didn't get on with the team. Southgate is probably more likely to succeed. Whatever people feel about him as a tactician, they seem to play for him. That's half the battle. A number of managers have won these tournaments without top CVs. Aimé Jacquet was a prime example.

It also comes down to a coach vs a manager. International teams don't need a "manager", as there is no way they can get a disparate squad from multiple clubs playing in a certain style in 5 or 6 10 day windows per year. This is why the likes of Guardiola or Potter would be terrible national managers. What they need is someone to drill them a bit and make them all happy when they're away for 6 weeks at a tournament, but doesn't overthink the tactics as you'll never get the chance to properly incorporate it. Southgate would crash and burn at club level for this reason, as many others who have had some international success have also done around the world.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
moan moan moan jesus

2 weeks to go and we have a genuine chance to do something special like the last world cup.

Get behind the lads

Agreed.

Russia 2018 was ****ing fantastic - most fun England has had at a major tournament since 1996.

We've got a pretty likeable bunch of players, a lot of whom are fairly key players playing at the top level, club wise. There's every reason to be looking forward to the Euros.

I really am thinking there should be a proper threads for the English football fans like us, who were born in England and support their football team without the need to turn into arrogant BIG 6 fans when it comes to England and just criticise anything and everything. I may start one. So many foreign BHA fans or non football fans on here - I always thought it was a football forum...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is it not OK to think Southgate’s a bit useless then?

He has some decent players to pick from, he doesn’t pick all of them and clearly has favourites. Form seems to count for nothing.

I think he’s really shite manager but yes of course I’ll be hoping we do well but if we do it will be in spite of rather than because of him imo.

That run to the semis brought him way more credit than he actually deserved imo. We were useless, not just not very good, once we met decent teams with managers with nous.

All imo of course, let him prove me wrong and win the Euros but don’t tell me to blindly wave a flag and swallow the hype. Did I mention I don’t rate him? But yes, of course, Come On England!!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not included.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I really am thinking there should be a proper threads for the English football fans like us, who were born in England and support their football team without the need to turn into arrogant BIG 6 fans when it comes to England and just criticise anything and everything. I may start one. So many foreign BHA fans or non football fans on here - I always thought it was a football forum...

Good idea. Head it up with the tag “no negativity on this thread please” and here’s one poster who’ll respect it.......and possibly not post on it all :shrug:

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
[tweet]1399758152384589826[/tweet]

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I reckon he's looking at 5 at the back. With either James or Walker at CB

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Was obvious all along surely, it was just an invite to a few training sessions for the future

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
A very strange unbalanced squad selection full of out of form players. I wouldn’t be too disappointed if England crash out in the first round providing it means Southgate gets sacked.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That was inevitable, as he plays for Brighton.

I put his chances at about 10%.

I've been highly critical of GS throughout on CB's, but finally he saw the light on hopeless Dier and Keane .... it only took him 2 years to catch up with rest of us.

Mings is shite imho, a guaranteed critical ball-watching error or two in almost every EPL game.

For our nation's sake, I hope that **** gets nowhere near the England starting 11.

Ward-Prowse is unlucky.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The squad picks itself apart from the defence, but with Pickford, 4 right-backs, an injured Maguire with one of Stones, Coady and Mings set to play alongside him we're going to have to score a lot of goals to go the distance.

I come back to the 4 right-backs thing. In Jack Grealish you have the most fouled player in the Prem, and in James Ward Prowse you have the best free-kick taker since Beckham. So take him and bin one of the four off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here