Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
moan moan moan jesus

2 weeks to go and we have a genuine chance to do something special like the last world cup.

Get behind the lads

I'm with you on this. I get the anti Southgate sentiment because of how he has chosen Dunk, which by the way I think he has messed up on, BUT overall what Southgate has achieved is getting a group of players that seem a damn sight more motivated and together than under Hodgson.

I was at the Iceland game and have been to a fair few internationals since and it clear to me that the effort and a good degree of talent that is being shown from this England squad is much much higher than then. Talent comes and goes, and arguably we have another crop of great talent, but what is down to the manager is the motivation. I think he has generated a spirit of togetherness and a mentality that England players are no longer scared to play and can express themselves. Much of this is down to picking younger players and working with them from under 21s through to full internationals. I think it works.

Ben White has missed out until now because he missed the under 21 boat (there is an argument here that he shouldn't have done, but he did). It also happened to Dunk.

But in fairness when he started the season he didn't shine, he took half a season to settle in I'd say and looked a bit below the radar under a very dominant Dunk. There were definitely people on this board questioning White at that stage. It is only the second half of the season and in particular the last couple of months where he has hit top form. And Gareth has now included him. I would imagine White will be in the England squad for many years to come now, even if he misses out this time.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
England players are no longer scared to play and can express themselves.

You've got to hold and give but do it at the right time. You can be slow or fast but you must get to the line. They'll always hit you and hurt you, defend and attack; there's only one way to beat them - get round the back.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I suppose you could do it all by process of elimination. tenuous links to U21's, Palace and VIlla, then a propensity to waist coats and cardigans. . . .

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I'm with you on this. I get the anti Southgate sentiment because of how he has chosen Dunk, which by the way I think he has messed up on, BUT overall what Southgate has achieved is getting a group of players that seem a damn sight more motivated and together than under Hodgson.

I was at the Iceland game and have been to a fair few internationals since and it clear to me that the effort and a good degree of talent that is being shown from this England squad is much much higher than then. Talent comes and goes, and arguably we have another crop of great talent, but what is down to the manager is the motivation. I think he has generated a spirit of togetherness and a mentality that England players are no longer scared to play and can express themselves. Much of this is down to picking younger players and working with them from under 21s through to full internationals. I think it works.

Ben White has missed out until now because he missed the under 21 boat (there is an argument here that he shouldn't have done, but he did). It also happened to Dunk.

But in fairness when he started the season he didn't shine, he took half a season to settle in I'd say and looked a bit below the radar under a very dominant Dunk. There were definitely people on this board questioning White at that stage. It is only the second half of the season and in particular the last couple of months where he has hit top form. And Gareth has now included him. I would imagine White will be in the England squad for many years to come now, even if he misses out this time.

Pretty much this.

I’m definitely going to enjoy the Euros. England aside I usually enjoy watching most the games. How can you not. Lots to like for a football fan.

Dunk situation has slightly tarnished Southgate for me admittedly, but I do agree there’s still a lot to like with him, I hope we do well, semi’s would be brilliant.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Pretty much this.

I’m definitely going to enjoy the Euros. England aside I usually enjoy watching most the games. How can you not. Lots to like for a football fan.

Dunk situation has slightly tarnished Southgate for me admittedly, but I do agree there’s still a lot to like with him, I hope we do well, semi’s would be brilliant.

I absolutely can't wait. I live for the World Cup and Euros.

They're the best thing about football for me.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ben White and Robert Sanchez are both 23 years of age. Their respective national managers are letting then know that tho although they may miss out this time around, they are clearly being earmarked earlydoors for future campaigns

Agreed.

Russia 2018 was ****ing fantastic - most fun England has had at a major tournament since 1996.

We've got a pretty likeable bunch of players, a lot of whom are fairly key players playing at the top level, club wise. There's every reason to be looking forward to the Euros.

I think what made Russia 2018 so much fun was that because we had low expectations and it was just great fun seeing how far we could go with that squad. The players did not have that weight on their shoulders and played with more freedom. Now the expectations are higher and a lot of the spontaneous joy will be removed by people whinging because we have only beaten somebody 1 or2 nil.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
moan moan moan jesus

2 weeks to go and we have a genuine chance to do something special like the last world cup.

Get behind the lads

I guess much like counting the rings in a tree trunk you can predict a posters exact age by how jaded they are as England approach an international tournament. :lolol:

I'd love to be up for this.
I'd love to be backing the manager.
I'd love to be backing the captain.
I'd love to be backing the media hype (the big problem)
I just can keep going back to the well.

Obviously I'll shamelessly jump onboard the inevitable bandwagon, when it looks like 'nothing can go wrong now' and that'll be at the precise moment something does go wrong, badly wrong.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I guess much like counting the rings in a tree trunk you can predict a posters exact age by how jaded they are as England approach an international tournament. [emoji38]ol:

I'd love to be up for this.
I'd love to be backing the manager.
I'd love to be backing the captain.
I'd love to be backing the media hype (the big problem)
I just can keep going back to the well.

Obviously I'll shamelessly jump onboard the inevitable bandwagon, when it looks like 'nothing can go wrong now' and that'll be at the precise moment something does go wrong, badly wrong.
Absolutely. The England football team have never failed to let me down. Shockingly consistent. We now have one of the worst managers ever, hopeless, and continue to have players that would fail to deliver whatever manager was installed.

Last tournament was like having a path cleared for us to succeed and we still screwed up.

These days it isnt just football, we're a nation that prefers little slogans to policies, self harm to progression, division to inclusion.

**** the ****ing lot of us! Looking forward to England screwing up again and seeing a tiny nation punching above their weight like Wales or Switzerland in addition to Belgium/Holland.

Unless Ben White plays of course.....

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Absolutely. The England football team have never failed to let me down. Shockingly consistent. We now have one of the worst managers ever, hopeless, and continue to have players that would fail to deliver whatever manager was installed.

Last tournament was like having a path cleared for us to succeed and we still screwed up.

These days it isnt just football, we're a nation that prefers little slogans to policies, self harm to progression, division to inclusion.

**** the ****ing lot of us! Looking forward to England screwing up again and seeing a tiny nation punching above their weight like Wales or Switzerland in addition to Belgium/Holland.

haha

last tournament we were expected to do nothing. What happened was a bunch of likeable players united a nation behind them and made the semis. What a great summer.

Since then they got to the final of that noddy uefa cup thing.

Next test - The Euros.

Soutgate may turn out to be a dud but he's done ok so far and seems to have some decent likeable players playing for the cause.

Things have moved on from Roy.

I think we'll have a good tournament and give the country a lift. Up to you if you want to twist it negatively

Whats more predictable is people like you being England knockers. Suits me but just all a bit sheepish when things have actually evolved and changed

Looking back on when we first met ............

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I think what made Russia 2018 so much fun was that because we had low expectations and it was just great fun seeing how far we could go with that squad. The players did not have that weight on their shoulders and played with more freedom. Now the expectations are higher and a lot of the spontaneous joy will be removed by people whinging because we have only beaten somebody 1 or2 nil.

We all got a bit carried away because Spain and Germany both collapsed and the pathway opened to give us a chance, but when you look back on it we won three, lost three (one aet) and drew one (won on penalties). Belgium beat us fairly easily twice. They rested De Bruyne in the group game. We beat Panama, Tunisia and Sweden. It was fun while it lasted and having the chance of a final was very exciting. We were excellent on set pieces. However, when we met a top quality team, we crumbled in the second half, retreating into our shell and letting them dominate the midfield. Our manager had no answer, because he was and still is tactically out of his depth. The Euros are usually harder than the World Cup.
I can only speak for myself, but my expectations are definitely not higher.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Sky Sports reporting that TAA is now set to be included in the squad.

IMG_0867.jpeg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We all got a bit carried away because Spain and Germany both collapsed and the pathway opened to give us a chance, but when you look back on it we won three, lost three (one aet) and drew one (won on penalties). Belgium beat us fairly easily twice. They rested De Bruyne in the group game. We beat Panama, Tunisia and Sweden. It was fun while it lasted and having the chance of a final was very exciting. We were excellent on set pieces. However, when we met a top quality team, we crumbled in the second half, retreating into our shell and letting them dominate the midfield. Our manager had no answer, because he was and still is tactically out of his depth. The Euros are usually harder than the World Cup.
I can only speak for myself, but my expectations are definitely not higher.

While I agree with [MENTION=365]Napper[/MENTION] that the Euros are great and, personally, I'm really looking forward to a big summer tournament with loads of beers either in a pub or at a mate's BBQ as an ideal antidote to lockdown, I do think our chances are limited.

We have some absolutely fantastic talent. Unfortunately all of it either plays right back, centre forward or "number 10" (aka CAM if you play FIFA). The rest of our spine is shocking. We'll have a very ordinary keeper protected by very ordinary centre backs (unless White plays :wink: ), in turn protected by two pedestrian CDMs, neither of whom I would swap for Biss. The result will be a 4-2-3-1 with very little emanating from our left hand side and a frustrated Mount and Foden wanting to take it up with a bit more "oomph". We should get through the group stages, but after that we'll have a very tough draw compared to 2018. Look for us to make an exit soon after on that either on penalties or to a goalkeeping error.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Spot on.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Chances of Ben White being included, slim.

It’s funny really, he’s probably our fourth best centre back after Dunk, Webster and Veltman (who obviously couldn’t be chosen for England). I hope he is in the finals but why select him now and not during the warm up games. Baffling, confusing stuff from the management of England.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
While I agree with [MENTION=365]Napper[/MENTION] that the Euros are great and, personally, I'm really looking forward to a big summer tournament with loads of beers either in a pub or at a mate's BBQ as an ideal antidote to lockdown, I do think our chances are limited.

We have some absolutely fantastic talent. Unfortunately all of it either plays right back, centre forward or "number 10" (aka CAM if you play FIFA). The rest of our spine is shocking. We'll have a very ordinary keeper protected by very ordinary centre backs (unless White plays :wink: ), in turn protected by two pedestrian CDMs, neither of whom I would swap for Biss. The result will be a 4-2-3-1 with very little emanating from our left hand side and a frustrated Mount and Foden wanting to take it up with a bit more "oomph". We should get through the group stages, but after that we'll have a very tough draw compared to 2018. Look for us to make an exit soon after on that either on penalties or to a goalkeeping error.

In real analysis, that is pretty much the case. That said, it's the Euros and mad stuff happens. Interesting that the competition has had 15 finals with 12 nations and 10 different winners. Never England. It's about time really and not beyond possibility.

I follow European football and prefer the Euros to the World Cup so it should be an enjoyable month. England doing well is a secondary thing, but in neutral observation I would say it is possible- along with about 8 others...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In real analysis, that is pretty much the case. That said, it's the Euros and mad stuff happens. Interesting that the competition has had 15 finals with 12 nations and 10 different winners. Never England. It's about time really and not beyond possibility.

I follow European football and prefer the Euros to the World Cup so it should be an enjoyable month. England doing well is a secondary thing, but in neutral observation I would say it is possible- along with about 8 others...

Agree completely. I've watched Denmark, Greece and Portugal win this thing. Despite our insipid, imagination-free, dullard of a manager, and his squad of injured and out of form players, far stranger things have happened than England doing very well.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So much for picking in form players. J-Lingz (tm) has been superb recently.

If you're going purely on form in that attacking 4 (based on one striker and three attacking support players) he's probably the fourth name on the list behind Mount, Foden and Kane. He'd certainly be in ahead of Rashford, Sterling and others likely to make the cut.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here