Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
England’s Ben White

Arsenal obviously a big step up from us, but I expected Ben to go to one of the bigger clubs consistently in the CL. Arsenal have regressed and are now in the same pool as Everton, Leicester and West Ham, rather than City, Chelsea, Liverpool.

They do have some excellent young players though so might get back up there soon, and Ben might help with that, but for now they are not the draw they were.

Exactly. I ageee, that’s what I’ve said from the start too. I feel the same.

I’m questioning the poster who said people here were suggesting Arsenal were not a step up from us. I think it’s more the above point. He can do better than Arsenal.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Simon Jordan said it wasn't much of a step up.
More towards 'he's better than that ' but a clear hint at us being well run and on the up as opposed to a bit of a mess.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If the rumours about Arsenal bidding for him is true (which could be the case) then I think, at this stage, its hard to say anything about the fees. Its not really about "playing poker" or Arsenal "believing they can buy any Brighton player cheaply"... its just how negotiations work. Arsenal wants to pay as little as they can, Brighton want to get as much as possible. It may or may not result in a deal. What could be said for sure is that Ben having three years left on his contract gives Brighton a very nice position in these alleged negotiations.

But allegedly we don’t want to or need to sell him. I think he will still be with us next season.

If not, it will mean either:
1. Arsenal have made us an offer we can’t refuse. We are in the driving seat in any negotiations.
Or
2. White expresses the desire to go and the club decides not to stand in his way……. Although we could also tell him to forget it and knuckle down - viz how we refused to let Dale Stephens go to Burnley.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
But allegedly we don’t want to or need to sell him. I think he will still be with us next season.

If not, it will mean either:
1. Arsenal have made us an offer we can’t refuse. We are in the driving seat in any negotiations.
Or
2. White expresses the desire to go and the club decides not to stand in his way……. Although we could also tell him to forget it and knuckle down - viz how we refused to let Dale Stephens go to Burnley.

I actually think brighton are pretty relaxed about losing Ben White. I’m not saying they are resigned to selling him but I believe they expect a pretty busy window in terms of offers and hope that one of them is good enough to make it a commercially sensible decision to cash in and reinvest.

Keeping Ben White for another season isn’t really in our best interests and I don’t think the dale stephens saga is comparable as we hope to have multiple interested parties willing to pay big money. I think only Burnley wanted dale for a nominal fee.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Very much so. Lots of parallels to the Leeds saga. A lack of understanding of the selling clubs perspective.

“He ain’t worth £50m” - who cares? it’s not our job to give fair market value.

“He’s worth £35m” - we have no need to sell, so that offer isn’t enough for us to consider.

He may not be worth £50m to you, but he is to us.

I don't think so. I think more. Young, improving, already shown his quality in the England team and and looks certain to have a top club and international career.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I actually think brighton are pretty relaxed about losing Ben White. I’m not saying they are resigned to selling him but I believe they expect a pretty busy window in terms of offers and hope that one of them is good enough to make it a commercially sensible decision to cash in and reinvest.

Keeping Ben White for another season isn’t really in our best interests and I don’t think the dale stephens saga is comparable as we hope to have multiple interested parties willing to pay big money. I think only Burnley wanted dale for a nominal fee.

I agree with all that. I was only using the Dale Stephens comparison to say that we won’t just lie back and take it. If Ben White ends up going, it will be because we are HAPPY for it to happen. We have other young guns around!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Do the terms of Ben's contract not count?

If a bid at or in excess of a stated fee comes in, the club might have little choice. Any bid below they can do what they want.

I think because Dibley was talked into not having such a clause, his club could stand firm.

To state the obvious, nobody knows anything especially private contract terms - it is largely speculation until something is announced formally.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Burnley offered 8-9m for Stephens in the end, which was a decent offer for a Championship midfielder in 2016. Trouble was that they didn’t get round to making that offer until the last 24 hours of the window when we’d have had no chance of replacing him.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Do the terms of Ben's contract not count?

If a bid at or in excess of a stated fee comes in, the club might have little choice. Any bid below they can do what they want.

I think because Dibley was talked into not having such a clause, his club could stand firm.

To state the obvious, nobody knows anything especially private contract terms - it is largely speculation until something is announced formally.

It’s quite rare for Premier League players to have a release fee, isn’t it?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
It’s quite rare for Premier League players to have a release fee, isn’t it?

They happen, but it's not that common. It's extremely unlikely there is any minimum release fee in any of our players contracts.

They are much more common in Europe. I believe it's a requirement in Spain due to their laws, which is why we were able to get Andone for a quarter what we were originally willing to pay for him before Deportivo got relegated from La Liga.

Veltman had one in his contract with Ajax but it was only triggered if a PL club came in for him.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Excellent post.

In an unrealistic world I’d love White and Bissouma to see out their careers with us, as we’d undoubtedly ascend with them.

The second best option is to take £50m now (with no strings/p*ss-takes from Arsenal), perhaps with Bissouma leaving for a similar sum.

Then part reinvesting the vast proceeds on a striker, LWB and DM, the rest used to balance the books so that we don’t carry on forever with TB having to subsidise annual losses.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I still don’t understand how any of this can actually happen during the Euros.

We’ve had City signing Kane/ grealish/James. United signing Sancho and Arsenal signing White.

I may be missing something here but surely these players can’t be involving themselves in transfers away when they are holed up with England?

When it’s all over (probably Tuesday) then I think we’ll expect players to make it known whether actually want to leave and who they want to play for. Which may prompt other bids....

Think White nailed on to go btw...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I still don’t understand how any of this can actually happen during the Euros.

We’ve had City signing Kane/ grealish/James. United signing Sancho and Arsenal signing White.

I may be missing something here but surely these players can’t be involving themselves in transfers away when they are holed up with England?

When it’s all over (probably Tuesday) then I think we’ll expect players to make it known whether actually want to leave and who they want to play for. Which may prompt other bids....

Think White nailed on to go btw...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agents do all the heavy lifting

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Both Foden and Saka quoted saying White is the player they've been most impressed with in the England camp...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Both Foden and Saka quoted saying White is the player they've been most impressed with in the England camp...

Which is lovely. As long as we get to see him play for England as a Brighton player.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Issuing a 'come and get me' plea to Arsenal:-

[tweet]1409246405382791169[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here