Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Some Arsenal fans getting a bit similar to Leeds fans last year, thinking Brighton are being greedy, too big for their boots, White is good, but not at that price etc. If this move doesn't happen, and I hope it doesn't, I think they will see the same next season, us fending off bids considerably above this years supposed "asking" price, and wishing their club had gone the distance with the pursuit. He is going to be watched more intently next season, and the real money bags clubs are going to become interested, and I think we will be a side that is pushing for European competition, may even achieve it, if we don't sell off all the family silver this window.

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
This thread is funny.

Anyone who thinks Arsenal aren’t a massive step up from us is having a laugh!

And/or that we might be pushing for Europe next year.

Personally would like BW to stay but £50m to Arsenal is a good deal.

And prefer Bissouma to stay of the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
+ the Arse definitely trying to demonstrate to their disillusioned fan base that they are real players in the current market. But are they???

Some Arsenal fans getting a bit similar to Leeds fans last year, thinking Brighton are being greedy, too big for their boots, White is good, but not at that price etc. If this move doesn't happen, and I hope it doesn't, I think they will see the same next season, us fending off bids considerably above this years supposed "asking" price, and wishing their club had gone the distance with the pursuit. He is going to be watched more intently next season, and the real money bags clubs are going to become interested, and I think we will be a side that is pushing for European competition, may even achieve it, if we don't sell off all the family silver this window.

And that is perhaps the full circle; show that fans they are trying to spend money, but selling clubs are just being so unreasonable the fans don't want you to spend.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
And that is perhaps the full circle; show that fans they are trying to spend money, but selling clubs are just being so unreasonable the fans don't want you to spend.

Its a myth that Arsenal doesnt spend money though. Its from the Wengerian days.

Sure, they dont spend as much as some but in the last five years they've bought players for over £500m. Now when they have finally get rid of a lot of expensive players I could see them spending £150m+ this transfer window (especially if they make a few sales).

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I'm thinking that Arsenal will need to sell before they buy big. Players like Willock, Nketiah, Ainsley Maitland-Niles are all players they'd love to get off their books before they know their true budget.
What is for sure though is that they are the club that seem to be linked with the most players. Whether it's desperation, a leak within their club, or perceived PR to keep their needy fans happy, I don't know.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is there anything to stop them letting his agent know how much they are prepared to offer?

I don't suppose there is. Anyway, presumably the agent can talk to anybody he wants to - and if he's touting his player, I would guess "How much would you pay him if I can engineer a move?" (in other words, how much would I get out of it?) would be part of the conversation.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It has more than a hint of deja vu about it, again.

'Arsenal will buy for £40m'.
'Rejected'.
'Arsenal will buy for £45m'.
Silence.
'Arsenal will buy for £50m'.
Offer is actually £42m.

As said a while ago, of all chairmen in the EPL, why does a team seem to think Tony's the man they want to play poker with.
It makes absolutely no sense.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I'm thinking that Arsenal will need to sell before they buy big. Players like Willock, Nketiah, Ainsley Maitland-Niles are all players they'd love to get off their books before they know their true budget.
What is for sure though is that they are the club that seem to be linked with the most players. Whether it's desperation, a leak within their club, or perceived PR to keep their needy fans happy, I don't know.

I'm not sure I understand their desire to get rid of Willock....I watched most of Newcastle's last 10 fixtures and Willock was frustratingly very decent. He certainly knows where the goal is!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Don't currently arenal owe more to other clubs in transfer fees than any other club in the premier league, or am I misremembering that from when accounts were released? Perhaps this is why we would want more money upfront from them...

Correct, according to a dullard:

https://www.football365.com/news/tottenham-arsenal-net-transfer-fees-owed-list

Bournemouth went down owing around £77m, but sold a few players (Ake, Ramsdale, Wilson) so are probably off the hook depending on how the sales were structured.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
This thread is funny.

Anyone who thinks Arsenal aren’t a massive step up from us is having a laugh!

And/or that we might be pushing for Europe next year.

Personally would like BW to stay but £50m to Arsenal is a good deal.

And prefer Bissouma to stay of the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are not offering £50M though, that seems to be the sticking point, they are coming up a few £M short.

Leeds were 6 or 7 points off 6th, West Ham finished 6th, we beat Leeds home and away and drew with west ham home and away, we can compete at that end of things, and maybe we have another season where we can't get the points the performances suggest, but I am not having a laugh when I say it's possible to compete for the 5th to 7th positions if we don't sell the best players we have.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It has more than a hint of deja vu about it, again.

'Arsenal will buy for £40m'.
'Rejected'.
'Arsenal will buy for £45m'.
Silence.
'Arsenal will buy for £50m'.
Offer is actually £42m.

As said a while ago, of all chairmen in the EPL, why does a team seem to think Tony's the man they want to play poker with.
It makes absolutely no sense.

I also gather it isn’t even £42m up front but a bit now and a bit next year etc, which is why Brighton are saying No Deal.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If the rumours about Arsenal bidding for him is true (which could be the case) then I think, at this stage, its hard to say anything about the fees. Its not really about "playing poker" or Arsenal "believing they can buy any Brighton player cheaply"... its just how negotiations work. Arsenal wants to pay as little as they can, Brighton want to get as much as possible. It may or may not result in a deal. What could be said for sure is that Ben having three years left on his contract gives Brighton a very nice position in these alleged negotiations.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Isn't almost every large transfer fee paid over the length of the contract?

Often paid in installments, but I think what is the difference here is "add ons" so certain milestones have to be reached or the money is not due at all, like x number of appearances for an additional £2M, then xx number of appearances for another £3M. These could be managed by Arsenal so as to avoid the payments, say if we had an add on for 25 appearances, and he was injured for 10 games, Arsenal may decide to drop him for a further 3 games to avoid the payment, or sell him on before the next milestone, etc.
We had a sell on clause for Steve Cook when he went to Bournemouth, which allowed them to get him for £150,000 cash, unfortunately he has stayed there ever since and doesn't look like he will move for a fee ever.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
If we're resigned to White going the best result will be the right fee for Brighton and we manage to hold onto Bissouma.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Very much so. Lots of parallels to the Leeds saga. A lack of understanding of the selling clubs perspective.

“He ain’t worth £50m” - who cares? it’s not our job to give fair market value.

“He’s worth £35m” - we have no need to sell, so that offer isn’t enough for us to consider.

He may not be worth £50m to you, but he is to us.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Who is saying that? I may have missed it but I’ve not seen anyone suggest Arsenal are not a step up from us?

Arsenal obviously a big step up from us, but I expected Ben to go to one of the bigger clubs consistently in the CL. Arsenal have regressed and are now in the same pool as Everton, Leicester and West Ham, rather than City, Chelsea, Liverpool.

They do have some excellent young players though so might get back up there soon, and Ben might help with that, but for now they are not the draw they were.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here