Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you starting to think sacking Wendy might have been the right thing to do?

Do you think sacking Wendy was the right move by the club

• Total voters

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
Why would people lie? You have to face the fact that Wilkins had not won the majority of fans over, 7th place or not. This poll backs that up rather.

Not strictly true...

This poll shows people are happy because he was replaced by Micky Adams.

I don't think many people were pleased with the way Wilkins' removal was handled. Had it been to be replaced by someone without Adams' connection to the club I would suggest more fans would still be angry.

But, with the season approaching, perhaps time to just get on with things.

Every single time a manager is sacked I imagine some fans will be pleased, some will be happy.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Did you see EVERYTHING that was going on at the club?

Absolutely not. I never claimed to. I am simply questioning this part of the quoted post "Believe it or not, there is much more to being a good manager than the short term results."

A full season is not short term and whatever happens now Wilkins deserves recognition for what he achieved.

D

Deleted member 2719

It is about time some of you showed a little more faith in DK. He has earned it, in my book.

I have always had faith with DK until his latest flexing of muscle.

Dick like everyone else is only as good as his current form, i only hope Mickey can keep the pressure off DK.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Well, lots of people based their sense of injustice on his 7th place finish. That is ONE season finish. I'm not sure you can have fewer than one and still make a judgment based on that criterion. So, yes, it is short term.

So from a results perspective alone he deserved another season bit it was everything else that meant he had to go (the Hammond saga basically)?

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Absolutely not. I never claimed to. I am simply questioning this part of the quoted post "Believe it or not, there is much more to being a good manager than the short term results."

A full season is not short term and whatever happens now Wilkins deserves recognition for what he achieved.

Perhaps 7th place was achieved in spite of Wilkins, not because of Wilkins?

A lot of players didnt get on with him, he favourtised certain players and was generally not good behind the scenes.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The level of play in 'League One' last season was uniquely puerile IMHO

To achieve more than seventy points just reflected that :shrug:

No way would last season's side have picked up seventy points in any other normal running of a league

We were worth no more than a mid-table place. At best.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Firmly still on the fence. Will make my mind up something like 10 games in.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Perhaps 7th place was achieved in spite of Wilkins, not because of Wilkins?

A lot of players didnt get on with him, he favourtised certain players and was generally not good behind the scenes.

On the first point, poppycock. Give credit where credit is due FFS.

Second point - the players that didn't get on with him were the ones he was marginalising, something that many of the Brighton fan base wanted to happen for a long time. I don't think messers Hart and Mayo have been welcomed back with open arms. Paul Reid has not been snapped up by a big club. There has little to suggest that the nucleus of the squad disliked him. What manager does not favour certain players? You can only play eleven. The previous incumbent is a great example of someone who fell out with players. Wilkins is not in the same league on that front.

Finally, not good behind the scenes - well, I just can't comment on that and neither can you really unless you Dick Knight's nephew or something (and I dont think you're Michael Standing). The Dean Hammond saga certainly pissed people off but I still think that plenty of other managers pull stunts like that and get away with it. All that most people feed off is the chinese whispers and rumours on here and who knows what is true and what is bullshit. I know one thing, I'd love an hour in the pub with Dean Wilkins to hear his side of the story because that's one viewpoint very few people seem to have heard.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The bottom line is Adams is a far better manager than Wilkins will ever be. Clubs haven't been exactly knocing each over to Wilkins door offering him a managers job have they.
Clubs weren't exactly been knocking each other over to Adams door were they? ???

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The level of play in 'League One' last season was uniquely puerile IMHO

To achieve more than seventy points just reflected that :shrug:

No way would last season's side have picked up seventy points in any other normal running of a league

We were worth no more than a mid-table place. At best.

It does'nt matter if it was the best league in the world or the worst we were the 7th best team in it and that aint bad.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
On the first point, poppycock. Give credit where credit is due FFS.

Second point - the players that didn't get on with him were the ones he was marginalising, something that many of the Brighton fan base wanted to happen for a long time. I don't think messers Hart and Mayo have been welcomed back with open arms. Paul Reid has not been snapped up by a big club. There has little to suggest that the nucleus of the squad disliked him. What manager does not favour certain players? You can only play eleven. The previous incumbent is a great example of someone who fell out with players. Wilkins is not in the same league on that front.

Finally, not good behind the scenes - well, I just can't comment on that and neither can you really unless you Dick Knight's nephew or something (and I dont think you're Michael Standing). The Dean Hammond saga certainly pissed people off but I still think that plenty of other managers pull stunts like that and get away with it. All that most people feed off is the chinese whispers and rumours on here and who knows what is true and what is bullshit. I know one thing, I'd love an hour in the pub with Dean Wilkins to hear his side of the story because that's one viewpoint very few people seem to have heard.

Other players didnt get on with him other than Mayo, Reid and Hart. The biggest example is Murray. So answer this question: If you had the choice which person would you get rid off, knowing Micky Adams was avaiable to take over, Glenn Murray - the most talented striker we've had since Zamora, or Dean Wilkins - a manager who couldnt handle things off the playing field.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Other players didnt get on with him other than Mayo, Reid and Hart. The biggest example is Murray. So answer this question: If you had the choice which person would you get rid off, knowing Micky Adams was avaiable to take over, Glenn Murray - the most talented striker we've had since Zamora, or Dean Wilkins - a manager who couldnt handle things off the playing field.

Ah yes, this fresh nugget of information which seems to have been gleaned from a "read between the lines" comment from our esteemed chairman tonight. Hardly a "from the horses mouth" categorical panning of Wilkins is it?

Is Glen Murray the most talented striker we've had at the club since Zamora? In my opinion, no. Leon Knight and a certain Nicky Forster take that accolade. Is he a better and more manageable prospect when you take age into account? Yes.

So, what may have caused this hinted at disharmony? Well, if you trust NSC (which largely, I don't), Murray was Lloyd and Knight's signing not Wilkins. That's something akin to the Schevchenko and Ballack situation at Chelsea and I seem to remember that going down like a ton of shit with Mourhinio and no doubt contributing to his departure. The decision appears to be made well ahead of Murray joining anyway. Wilkins wanted to keep Hammond on higher wages. They were not made available and the club promptly went and spent £300,000 on a player that the manager (in theory) had little to do with. No source of tension there then.

Should one player be bigger and more important at a club than a manager? Absolutely not. I think Murray has bugger all to do with the equation. It's got everything to do with the Adams/Knight/Wilkins love triangle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here