Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you happy with your job?

The judge

Sep 28, 2011
Portslade
Used to work for Edwards Engineering then three years ago got made redundant . Could not get a job for love nor money then the old feller next door said he was packing in his gardening round had about ten customers would i like to go out with him and do a bit . Two years on i have a guy who works with me and we are partners . Do a lot of fencing landscaping and Hedge and tree cutting . Did not hate my old job but enjoy what i do a lot more and met some great people along the way . Some times you need to be pushed to move on .

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Been driving coaches for 20+ years. I've been to just about every tourist city/place in Europe and now bored tbh... Would like to try something else now but I'll probably still be doing this for the next 20+ years. It has it's moments but can't say that I get a buzz anymore.
Lucky to have a secure job in the current economic climate so no way should I be complaining.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Totally sick of my job and one director in particular who docked me a days wages for attending my dads funeral yet can swan off for a day to go to her friends mothers funeral and take twice as much holiday as anyone else (along with a lot of other issues like me being the only person not to get a bonus at Christmas). I work in an "office" that is nothing more than a store cupboard with no windows and no heating, my desk is 2 ft away from a toilet pan (but there is a wall in between) and I can hear every splash and fart

Hoping to hear from Rockstar soon (them of the Grand Theft Auto fame) but if that falls through it will end up with a pow wow with another director which will probably end up with me telling them to poke it and go full time app writing

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I do generally enjoy my job and the moneys good only 35 hours a week Mon-Fri but it has started to lack a challenge even my team i manage are spot on and never an issue even though its taken a while to get it that way. I currently i can't see where in the company i am likely to go next would not fancy my managers job as he always seemed stressed and gets no end of hassle from directors other more senior management plus i'm not political enough to be arsed with it all, Catch 22 situation been with the company 11 years, final salary pension scheme, job is easy, steady away even - 32 days holiday a year i get three four holidays a year - only 20 minutes walk from the office.Decent bonus every year.
Also in teh current economic climate not alot about.
Partly i think i'm to comfortable/lazy to change but i'm sure i'm not the only one out there.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Totally sick of my job and one director in particular who docked me a days wages for attending my dads funeral yet can swan off for a day to go to her friends mothers funeral and take twice as much holiday as anyone else (along with a lot of other issues like me being the only person not to get a bonus at Christmas). I work in an "office" that is nothing more than a store cupboard with no windows and no heating, my desk is 2 ft away from a toilet pan (but there is a wall in between) and I can hear every splash and fart

Hoping to hear from Rockstar soon (them of the Grand Theft Auto fame) but if that falls through it will end up with a pow wow with another director which will probably end up with me telling them to poke it and go full time app writing

Blimey, you're not Bob Cratchit, are you?

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Happy is an odd concept. How to measure it is very difficult.

I make a lot of money and I'm very good at what I do. My dissatisfaction is more at the stupidity of the system and those who constantly attempt to justify it.

The concept of 35-40 hours a week, 45+ weeks a year is nonsensical. As is the complete inability for organisations to progress beyond "them and us".

Finally as I work in a fairly high pressure environment, I hate the constant politicking and exploitative methods people use in order to further their own profile.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Think we are near on perfect as well, eldest leaves for the USA in July, we have plenty of good holidays and wife is an HLTA so gets good money as well

Don't forget the free first class rail travel.

Seat Stealer

Jun 23, 2012
Job OK, hours ridiculous, treated like an idiot, lousy pay, can't afford a holiday, car, or luxuries. Rent a house , 50 odd years old and stuck. Cannot even afford to watch the Albion. Dead would be better.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Happy is an odd concept. How to measure it is very difficult.

I make a lot of money and I'm very good at what I do. My dissatisfaction is more at the stupidity of the system and those who constantly attempt to justify it.

The concept of 35-40 hours a week, 45+ weeks a year is nonsensical. As is the complete inability for organisations to progress beyond "them and us".

Finally as I work in a fairly high pressure environment, I hate the constant politicking and exploitative methods people use in order to further their own profile.

What would you suggest instead?

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
What would you suggest instead?

That dear boy is clearly the problem!!!

It won't change as significant change requires a completely different perspective.

For example. The most productive and satisfying working environments I have ever worked in are ones where there is no concept of management (via hierarchy).

Unfortunately the majority of places I have worked have a hierarchical management structure and that concept is so embedded it will not change.

Another example. Think about the people you know, and the jobs they do. How many of them do a job that really benefits the community in which they live or has a tangible positive effect on others?

Or simpler than that. How many of them produce something? a real product?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
That dear boy is clearly the problem!!!

It won't change as significant change requires a completely different perspective.

For example. The most productive and satisfying working environments I have ever worked in are ones where there is no concept of management (via hierarchy).

Unfortunately the majority of places I have worked have a hierarchical management structure and that concept is so embedded it will not change.

Another example. Think about the people you know, and the jobs they do. How many of them do a job that really benefits the community in which they live or has a tangible positive effect on others?

Or simpler than that. How many of them produce something? a real product?

The trick is to find something that you genuinely care about, and do something which falls within it. Took me over a year to get back into doing something I care about, but there now with a massive slice of luck in my favour. Personally, I'm passionate about raising standards of service and being a point of contact for whem things go wrong. I am new in my job and don't pretend to be an expert, but I can confidently say I am having a positive impact overall on the customers I deal with.

A good friend of mine is really passionate about charity work, and I have great respect for her. She devotes hours a day and week to volunteering work in a variety of capacities and that is what she does. She is really happy with her lot as I am with mine. We would be quite seriously depressed roles reversed though!

It's all relative. I like shift work and the variety it brings, others like a set pattern and routine. Some people would probably hate my job, but I really enjoy it. I spent the whole of last year doing crap jobs to get by, so I have a lot of respect for people doing jobs they hate to keep going. The trick is to keep going.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
The trick is to find something that you genuinely care about, and do something which falls within it. Took me over a year to get back into doing something I care about, but there now with a massive slice of luck in my favour. Personally, I'm passionate about raising standards of service and being a point of contact for whem things go wrong. I am new in my job and don't pretend to be an expert, but I can confidently say I am having a positive impact overall on the customers I deal with.

A good friend of mine is really passionate about charity work, and I have great respect for her. She devotes hours a day and week to volunteering work in a variety of capacities and that is what she does. She is really happy with her lot as I am with mine. We would be quite seriously depressed roles reversed though!

It's all relative. I like shift work and the variety it brings, others like a set pattern and routine. Some people would probably hate my job, but I really enjoy it. I spent the whole of last year doing crap jobs to get by, so I have a lot of respect for people doing jobs they hate to keep going. The trick is to keep going.

Sorry, I think you're missing the point of what I said.

I think there are better ways of working. I also think that economics and the modern world mean that we continually focus on producing more meaningless crap, and have skill sets that reflect that.

BTW I think it's cool that you enjoy what you do!

As it goes, I'm agnostic about my job, but I do my best to make it enjoyable for me and the people I work with (not in a David Brent way).

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
After losing my job I ended up self-employed, and loved the flexibility and being my own boss. But I'm now back to working full-time - a necessity really to pay the bills and get a more regular income and be able to afford all the things I had to give up while self-employed.

Now actively looking for a new job, and applying for about one a week, but only jobs that I would really like to do.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Can’t say I’m that happy with mine – I mean, seriously, could anyone be happy being a quantity surveyor? But it did enable me to get a job in New York which was somewhere I always wanted to live. So a means to an end I guess.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Don't forget the free first class rail travel.

You clearly can't, must make you so jealous as well

Still being in the Groovy Gang doesn't get you everything.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I am not sick of my job, I am sick of the idiots who I have to deal with in the new build sector. Having said that it is a daily challange which I do actually enjoy making them look stupid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here