Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you happy with your job?

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
I didn't like my job.. Always worked hard though.. Got sacked yesterday.. Exactly 2 weeks before the end of my 6 month probation.. They even waited until 5pm, so they could get every last bit of work out of me first. Arseholes.. Here's hoping for a better job.. Search will start again this afternoon

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Work in food retail. Hours are shite. work every saturday. Pay is crap and my boss is an ardent Palace fan. Though to be fair to him he does let me have time off for midweek games. The plus side is that is also secure job as everybody needs to eat.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I've been self employed since 1989, everyone thinks you make a mint but only the lucky ones do.
I ended up with a shop, a factory and a small work force.
I enjoyed it in the beginning, setting up growing over time meeting lots of good and bad people.
It got to a time where I was only working to pay others wages especially when it got tight, which happened now and again.
I came here and was forced to do the same thing till I hit all the targets for permanent residence and then citizenship.
I ended up being exceptionally good at what I do but loathing every minute as I had proved I could do it and there were no more challenges.
I decided to stop manufacturing and working hard on site and started doing free lance estimating and materials buying, consulting with manufacturing companies about production and making for more efficient running.
I nearly went broke, down to my last $90 in bank, but now I have a regular weekly time table with four businesses and my recommendations are really making a difference for them.
I have a good hourly rate and rarely have to do any real manual labour, though very capable of doing it.
I am qualified in Production and Mechanical Engineering and this combined with my self employed experience is now paying off.
Jobs around the house are getting done as I like to work with my hands now that I don't have to, so to speak.
I started playing music again after more than 20 years and gig with a band.
However after all this I still get the Sunday evening blues because to be honest I'd rather be playing music above anything else now.
It's a hard life.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
That was a shitty trick. Good luck with the search!

Cheers mate.. Bit shell shocked tbh... No warnings, everyone happy with my work, then the IT Manager from England tells my manager over here in Germany that he wants rid. Doesnt even have the balls to speak to me himself. She tells me and gives me a few bollox excuses, even she couldn't look me in the eye.. The company seems to be pretty cut throat, I am the 3rd person in a 15 person office that was sacked without warning in my 5 1/2 months there... At the moment feel angry, let down and disappointed, but in the long run, I will probably be glad to be outta there...

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Cheers mate.. Bit shell shocked tbh... No warnings, everyone happy with my work, then the IT Manager from England tells my manager over here in Germany that he wants rid. Doesnt even have the balls to speak to me himself. She tells me and gives me a few bollox excuses, even she couldn't look me in the eye.. The company seems to be pretty cut throat, I am the 3rd person in a 15 person office that was sacked without warning in my 5 1/2 months there... At the moment feel angry, let down and disappointed, but in the long run, I will probably be glad to be outta there...

Do you not have a workers council ?

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Do you not have a workers council ?

Dont think so... I think it is very easy to make an excuse to get rid of someone in theor probation period, will probably not have much of a leg to stand on.. Just trying to let it all sink in today, then will actually start asking questions, finding out what I can do, looking for a new job tomorrow..

LE19

I wouldn't take it too personally. I imagine lots of people are ditched (and replaced) just before the end of their "probation", so they don't get too many employment rights. Doubt it's your fault.

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
Happy is an odd concept. How to measure it is very difficult.

I make a lot of money and I'm very good at what I do. My dissatisfaction is more at the stupidity of the system and those who constantly attempt to justify it.

The concept of 35-40 hours a week, 45+ weeks a year is nonsensical. As is the complete inability for organisations to progress beyond "them and us".

Finally as I work in a fairly high pressure environment, I hate the constant politicking and exploitative methods people use in order to further their own profile.
What do you do , if you dont mind me asking ?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I don't think you'll ever find someone who is happy every minute of every day at work. Most of us have the occasional ' finger-licking ' good day and the occasional ' arse-wiping ' bad day. The rest of the time, we just move a little below or a little above the line.
Most people end up doing a job of work that is different from their main hobbies and interests. Most people, given the choice, would like to change. Most people hesitate about change because they have become comfortable where they are and are worried about ' risk-taking ' ( every new challenge has an element of risk )
Sometimes, you have to grab life by the wotsits and say..' sod it...I'm only here once, I'm going to give it a go. Its never too late to change if you are not happy. You have to be prepared to fail sometimes. All these high profile millionaires on television have all had setbacks. Some have lost large businesses. But it doesn't put them off because they have confidence in their own ability and know they will bounce back.
Have confidence in yourself and if you are unhappy, make that move.
I was at one of my lowest ebbs in life ( expensive and unhappy divorce )when a business opportunity suddenly presented itself. I had no capital ( all gone in the divorce ) but managed to borrow some money and went for it. It has been a struggle, battling the banks ( who have little or no interest in helping the small businessman ) but I'm still here and most days are fairly happy ones. I know I am doing the best I can at present and thats all I can ask of myself.
Good luck to everyone out there. Its a tough old work-place. Just make the most of your opportunities and don't look back with regrets if you make a change.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I don't think you'll ever find someone who is happy every minute of every day at work. Most of us have the occasional ' finger-licking ' good day and the occasional ' arse-wiping ' bad day. The rest of the time, we just move a little below or a little above the line.
Most people end up doing a job of work that is different from their main hobbies and interests. Most people, given the choice, would like to change. Most people hesitate about change because they have become comfortable where they are and are worried about ' risk-taking ' ( every new challenge has an element of risk )
Sometimes, you have to grab life by the wotsits and say..' sod it...I'm only here once, I'm going to give it a go. Its never too late to change if you are not happy. You have to be prepared to fail sometimes. All these high profile millionaires on television have all had setbacks. Some have lost large businesses. But it doesn't put them off because they have confidence in their own ability and know they will bounce back.
Have confidence in yourself and if you are unhappy, make that move.
I was at one of my lowest ebbs in life ( expensive and unhappy divorce )when a business opportunity suddenly presented itself. I had no capital ( all gone in the divorce ) but managed to borrow some money and went for it. It has been a struggle, battling the banks ( who have little or no interest in helping the small businessman ) but I'm still here and most days are fairly happy ones. I know I am doing the best I can at present and thats all I can ask of myself.
Good luck to everyone out there. Its a tough old work-place. Just make the most of your opportunities and don't look back with regrets if you make a change.

Agree totally!!

I am just trying to get the balls to go on my own. I am in a great position ( depends if your glass is half full ) that I have only 5 weeks left before being made redundant, so now is the time to do something for me,or just jump into another 9 - 5 job.

The safer although not easy at the moment is to get another job. Or work my it's off, do the training I need, and go self employed. Tough call and time is flying by. I am not quite 40 yet so not too late to try something else.

I need inspiration ands kick up the backside.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Dont think so... I think it is very easy to make an excuse to get rid of someone in theor probation period, will probably not have much of a leg to stand on.. Just trying to let it all sink in today, then will actually start asking questions, finding out what I can do, looking for a new job tomorrow..

yep looks that way. A few useful snippets below about notice periods, which you might want to check. - Good luck

http://www.businessweekly.co.uk/export-to/europe/14177-employment-law-guide-germany

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Thanks, is that like a management consultant ? Ive seen adverts for those sort of jobs but never known what exactly they entail.

Sort of. I work specifically within software development.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
yep looks that way. A few useful snippets below about notice periods, which you might want to check. - Good luck

http://www.businessweekly.co.uk/export-to/europe/14177-employment-law-guide-germany

Yes, after 6 months of employment, they are protected against unfair dismissal if the Company employs more than 10 people (calculated on the basis of fulltime employees). In that case, a termination is only permissible if it is on the grounds of redundancy, the employee’s behaviour or personal reasons. In the case of redundancies, a fair selection, based on social criteria elements such as: seniority, age, family duties and disabilities, must be made.
Hence they do it now, so that my employment is not protected against unfair dismissal

Thx anyway [MENTION=12901]CheeseRolls[/MENTION]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here