Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you happy with your job?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I have a very stressful job, and the responsibility can be difficult at times. However I do earn fairly good money and I love (really love) what I do; So from that point of view it's fantastic. I work hard, travel a lot, but wonder if it's something I'll be able to maintain long term. It's a 'young' industry and I have no idea where people go when they hit 40..

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I don't earn amazing money or anything, but I love my job. I always told myself that I would never sell out and sell my soul in order to make the big bucks. That might happen in the future, who knows how things are going to pan out, but not quite yet. I don't have any baggage in terms of a wife or kids to worry about yet, so I don't need to worry about selling out for the next few years at least. I'm very happy with my job at present though- I think I'd hate my life if I hated my job.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
This time last year I got kicked out/left college with nothing, including D-G grades after my exams. I was then sitting around on my arse for a few months before I started claiming JSA. While I was on JSA I started doing voluntary work which then lead to me getting a full time apprenticeship ( 30 hours a week, earning £82.50 ). I'm still currently doing the apprenticeship which I do enjoy, some days. Last week I got myself another job. I'm now working as a part time youth worker two days a week after I finish my normal job. Oh, I also do volunteer football coaching 1 night a week.

Now, at the age of 18 I currently have two jobs while volunteer coaching 1 night a week and also organising a jobs fair in Brighton for 16-25 year olds. Personally, I'm proud of myself and where I've come from with nothing to be in the position I am now.

That's my shitty story :thumbsup: :lolol:
Big respect to you:thumbsup:

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
I had a job I enjoyed. i Worked my way up in teaching for 19 years to suddenly be told like many of my colleagues we are now the problem rather than the Solution and am now being made redundant... Brilliant!

Now I have to endure a rubbish time period between now and when I can leave..... Oh and for he record I used to love going to work.... Now I dread it.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
An average day in the office for me is 8.00 - 6.30, so it's a long old week - downtime logging into NSC here & there helps! Anyway, there's nobody to blame if I don't like bits of my job as I own the company (well, co-own so I suppose I could blame my business partner, but it's all within my power to change it).

I enjoy 95% of my work - the most rewarding part being developing my team and seeing their knowledge, confidence and competence grow. I am very conscientious, hence the long hours, and I find it very hard to switch off. I have not enjoyed the process of firing people when I've had to.

I think one of the strangest things these days at work is the expectation of the younger people, they seem to just do a job for a year maximum then expect to do something else so never really ever commit themselves - I suspect employees may find this quite a challenge in future years.

I think you're spot on with this Beach Hut. It's safe to say they are not all like it, but those who have grown up in the 'I want it all now' era of instant gratification can be difficult to keep engaged. I don't blame them though - their attitude is just a product of the world they grew up in and they just need to be managed in a different way.

Last edited:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Happy with my job, and I'd even go as far to say as I actually enjoy what I do. I just wish it wasn't based in Tottenham!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Very happy with my work but I have land in Cornwall and I often dream of getting away from it all and building a cabin on there and staying there for an extended period. Probably will in 2014 for a year.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I like my job and I'm good at it, love my colleagues but not necessarily the higher ups in the company. I get to work on lots of Brighton and Hove Albion jobs as well which helps.

The daily grind paying high rents and high rail fairs and not being able to save up for a house gets frustrating though but that's another matter and something wrong in terms of this country rather than my job. Keep telling myself its only the UK that's obsessed with home ownership.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I have a great job in an interesting industry. I work good hours, local to home but with enough travel to keep me keen. The biggest drawback is that I don't earn what I think I'm worth. I have had job offers from people I do a lot of business with(so I must be doing something right)however this would ultimately mean commuting, and the extra money just isn't worth the grief of getting a train to London every day

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've worked for the same company for 29 years, started at the bottom and risen to the dizzy heights of "nearly bottom". I work shifts so I have a lot of quality time off (although I work the same number of hours as "day" staff) and I work at home for all but 5 shifts a month.
Money's ok, allows me to run 2 (modest) cars, have a couple of holidays and buy my season tickets and I can do overtime if I need a bit more.
I don't like or dislike my job, but I am rather bored with it and looking forward to moving on to something different in about 18 months when a lot of things come together.

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
Left my job after 23 years a couple of years ago and decided I would semi retire, work 2 to 3 days a week to suit and get my golf handicap down to single figures!

6 months down the line, bored senseless! Unfortunately, no mates to play golf with as they were all at work!

Got a call from a mate to fill in for a couple of months working shifts and 2 years down the line, now part of the furniture and also run my own business on my days off! So much for semi retirement!

The idea of lots of time off is a dream, the reality is boredom!!

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Following a response i made on another thread and various others over the last few days it seem a lot of people genuinely do no like what they do.
Obviously doing it for the money. I've been there in the past, earning good money granted but hated it.
Stressful, always at the end of a phone, big bosses phoning all hours any day of the week, long travel, dreading Mondays morning, always looking to the weekend.

As a result family suffered because of me not being there, from 6-12 month i only saw my eldest at weekends because work was so far away and them all recognising i weren't the person they used to know as i was more "stressy" etc.

As we all know we spend a very high percentage of our lives working so realised it need to be something I actually like doing.

Two years i made the step to change to something i actually liked doing (went self employed) and now i do not fear Monday morning and my life is a lot better and my family actually like me more as a result.

My point is,do all on here enjoy what they do, or tolerate it, or hate what they do?

Job would and should be great, except for poor management and office politics..oh, and getting a redundancy letter the week before Christmas. I'm sure I'll miss the job when I'm gone.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
I would love to try my hand at something self employed! But bills, debt and a family to feed have put paid to that for a while. Admire anyone that does it and seen a couple of mates become succesfull.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
I spent 15+ year working in jobs I hated the last 10 yrs in a local medical insurance company. Started at the bottom a d worked my way up. Was ok at first but the higher I went the less I enjoyed it. By the end I hated it, largely down to a snidey c*unt of a boss. Job started making me ill and I started to suffer from depression.

Then, 2 yrs ago I was offered the opportunity of redundancy. As I'd been there a while and was fairly high up the package was decent so took the money and ran. Had some breathing space and chose a new career.

I started off as a community football coach for a club close to our hearts. This lead to other opportunities and I'm just about to sign a full contact delivering a fantastic project working with 15 & 16 year olds. Money isnt great and found it difficult at times but have never regretted it for a moment. I'm really enjoying it and feel like a different person as a result.

I wish I'd had the balls to make the move sooner but I got there in the end. It's really easy to get wrapped up in earning as much as you can and make wrong decisions as a result. It's not all about the money. You spend a lot of your life working so why spend that time doing something that makes you unhappy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here