Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you going to the Falmer Forum at Hove Town Hall on Tuesday?

Will you be at the Falmer Forum on Tuesday

• Yes

Votes: 73 59.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • Hang on ........just off to the other thread to get some info!!

Votes: 6 4.9%

• Total voters

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Anyhoo, you're a bottler, you're dealing in wrong information, and taking the information you do have and deliberately misrepresenting it.

So what is your agenda?

Perhaps its just an opinion that differs from yours? Doesn't necessarily mean there is an agenda.

Folk on here tend to be died in the wool Albion fans for whom the club can do no wrong. Sadly people who disagree get shot down in flames as liars and fantasists while the attendences slip down to the 4000 mark. There are some real problems that aren't being dealt with.

Personally I think that this has dragged on far too long, whoevers fault it is. LDC's seem to be a convenient doorstep to dump all our faults. I think a more agressive legal team could have had a lot of the delays sorted far quicker. To be honest wild horses couldn't drag me along to Withdean anymore. Local football has far more interest nowadays (look at the rising fortunes/attendences of Boro & Lewes, those new fans have to come from somewhere).

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I see where you're coming from. It's obviously a HUGE risk to be throwing away the massive opportunity for success that Withdean presents.

Especially when we are soooo close to cashing in.

Your condescending attitude is 'sooo' grating.

Because you're too busy being the best friend the club has got, have a look at the crowds for the last couple of games.

Sorry to come across as "condescending". I'm experimenting with it as an alternative to being fuckin' angry with people who never miss an opportunity to undermine the progress that this club IS making.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I think a more agressive legal team could have had a lot of the delays sorted far quicker.
Are you a lawyer, so you know this? Or is it just more shite?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Perhaps its just an opinion that differs from yours? Doesn't necessarily mean there is an agenda.

Folk on here tend to be died in the wool Albion fans for whom the club can do no wrong. Sadly people who disagree get shot down in flames as liars and fantasists while the attendences slip down to the 4000 mark. There are some real problems that aren't being dealt with.

Personally I think that this has dragged on far too long, whoevers fault it is. LDC's seem to be a convenient doorstep to dump all our faults. I think a more agressive legal team could have had a lot of the delays sorted far quicker. To be honest wild horses couldn't drag me along to Withdean anymore. Local football has far more interest nowadays (look at the rising fortunes/attendences of Boro & Lewes, those new fans have to come from somewhere).

And your evidence for that is? You honestly believe that a 'more aggressive legal team' could hurry the government up? Or tell Lewes DC not to challenge? Or not to get the government to call the Planning Application in in the first place? Or tell the Planning Inspector to recommend permission?

Tell us, how would you have done it differently? I am very keen to find out.

Or could it be that the club employed just about one of the best legal teams there is (£1,000 an hour and counting), and managed to turn a very difficult and highly contraversial planning application into an ultimately successful one?

And perhaps you can tell us what the size of the crowds have to do with the planning process?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Are you a lawyer, so you know this? Or is it just more shite?

Without wanting to rock the boat (and I don't think I have a high enough post count to be be allowed to do that on here), I have actually heard this.

As I type this I realise how it sounds like it could be totally made up, and I don't want to go into too much detail, but someone I know, a planning expert, was involved in the case. Their verdict is that LDC got certain people in who knew what they were doing in disrupting the application, but that it was only ever buying time. Had Albion taken the right measures and got certain people in, this wouldn't have arisen and it could have been finalised much quicker.

I realise that that is way too vague to properly illustrate the point but I don't want to make it obvious who I mean (not that anyone here would know/care). The point is I do believe that in some areas the Falmer campaign HAS been a bit of a fuckup, but the point now is that the ball's rolling, and we're not going to get anywhere by not giving out our full spport.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Without wanting to rock the boat (and I don't think I have a high enough post count to be be allowed to do that on here), I have actually heard this.

As I type this I realise how it sounds like it could be totally made up, and I don't want to go into too much detail, but someone I know, a planning expert, was involved in the case. Their verdict is that LDC got certain people in who knew what they were doing in disrupting the application, but that it was only ever buying time. Had Albion taken the right measures and got certain people in, this wouldn't have arisen and it could have been finalised much quicker.

I realise that that is way too vague to properly illustrate the point but I don't want to make it obvious who I mean (not that anyone here would know/care). The point is I do believe that in some areas the Falmer campaign HAS been a bit of a fuckup, but the point now is that the ball's rolling, and we're not going to get anywhere by not giving out our full spport.

Can you give us a 'for instance?' ???

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

I see where you're coming from but the delaying and disrupting tactics from Lewes came to play at public inquiry and decision letter stages. At that point the club lawyers could do no more as it was the government and treasury solicitor who had to resolve the 'cock up' Up to then they had no impact. I heard this too from a planning consultant who was tasked by LDC to try and prove waterhall as a better site. She refused the job as she said it was a non starter and would affect her professional credibility. She also advised that the people claiming LDC were buying time missed the point that it wasn't the expensive lawyers who found the error in the decision letter but a simple planning clerk (on c£18k a year she told me) who spotted it after the lawyers had missed it.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Your condescending attitude is 'sooo' grating.

Because you're too busy being the best friend the club has got, have a look at the crowds for the last couple of games.

You are referring to someone who was called a 'patsy' by the main witness for the unsubstantiated. But when he has a response you turn all harsh on him.

Having seen Lord B in action challenging the board, he is certainly someone I would describe as a friend of the club. Not because he sucks up but by providing free advice and having prevented the club from making some mistakes along the way. Not sure that Arthur could say that. But heh Arthur has made insinuations at two people in his diatribe so far and many of his points have failed to stand up to credibility.

I rarely go to Withdean myself for a number of reasons now. One being that having worked relatively hard on assisting in securing a new stadium (not as hard as LB) I have just about had enough of the professional knockers and whingers who could have done so much better but didn't quite get around to it. That and the pseudo voice of the fans types who now pollute the ground with their consipracy theories and Ben Elton style 'alternative' fan world. So with crowds dropping to 4000 I dont see that these people are any less to blame for our problems that LDC, the board, the team or The Witchsmeller Pursuivant

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Can you give us a 'for instance?' ???

Not easily but I'll give it a go. Plus I have very little understanding of the case or planning law, so any particulars were completely beyond me anyway.

For instance, LDC hired some people to work on the case, obviously. These people advised what they believed the necessary measures to delay the stadium under planning law, but were well aware of how these could have been countered by the Albion, and had themselves or similar people been in place, perhaps this might have been done.

Anyway I only brought these up because people were completely dismissing the idea that the project was not perfectly managed. But thats the same with most things in life, and I don't think its relevent any longer, especially now planning permission is in and is no longer the issue.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I see where you're coming from but the delaying and disrupting tactics from Lewes came to play at public inquiry and decision letter stages. At that point the club lawyers could do no more as it was the government and treasury solicitor who had to resolve the 'cock up' Up to then they had no impact. I heard this too from a planning consultant who was tasked by LDC to try and prove waterhall as a better site. She refused the job as she said it was a non starter and would affect her professional credibility. She also advised that the people claiming LDC were buying time missed the point that it wasn't the expensive lawyers who found the error in the decision letter but a simple planning clerk (on c£18k a year she told me) who spotted it after the lawyers had missed it.

Like I say I have no idea of the particulars of planning law, and I don't know the case in too much detail (it all becomes a blur after so long!). I think this obviously refers to a stage in the planning process before the issue with the decision letter, but I have no idea where.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Anyway I only brought these up because people were completely dismissing the idea that the project was not perfectly managed. But thats the same with most things in life, and I don't think its relevent any longer, especially now planning permission is in and is no longer the issue.

There are no perfectly managed projects (and I say that as a Project Manager). The main skill is risk management and if you achieve the project being delivered then you are some way to success. After each project you have a Post Implementation Review to identify what you can learn from it.

However, validly saying a project was not perfectly managed is a million miles from accusing the main person on the project as a liar or a charlatan and inventing denials that never happened or ignoring statements that were made which move an item from conspiracy theory to old news if only you could have been bothered to read it.

It's like saying that the British Government have covered up the death of Harold Wilson just because you'd forgotten he'd died and had only just found out about it.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Unfortunately its the same with most things if it goes against the grain.

Well I'm not really trying to go against the grain and I 100% have faith in the club to deliver Falmer (although I am a pessimist and will wait till I see it before I relax!), and certainly recognise what a challenge it has been.

Just wanted to point out that I think there is some merit in saying that things could have been done better and mistakes have (possibly) been made. But like I said, thats the same with all things in life, and once we get in the ground it will all be insignificant.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
However, validly saying a project was not perfectly managed is a million miles from accusing the main person on the project as a liar or a charlatan and inventing denials that never happened or ignoring statements that were made which move an item from conspiracy theory to old news if only you could have been bothered to read it.

I agree, maybe in that aspect I jumped into the wrong argument here. Like I said, you couldn't expect it to be "perfectly" managed, I was just trying to add some balance to the argument.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
In any case like this there will be things which, with the power of hindsight, could have been done better.

I don't claim to be an expert in planning matters but I would guess there were things the club AND Lewes DC could have done differently.

I am not sure the posters who are arguing similar are having a POP at the club as such.

They certainly don't deserve the stick they are getting just for having the audacity to suggest the club, Knight, Perry et al did not do everthing PERFECTLY.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
In any case like this there will be things which, with the power of hindsight, could have been done better.

I don't claim to be an expert in planning matters but I would guess there were things the club AND Lewes DC could have done differently.

I am not sure the posters who are arguing similar are having a POP at the club as such.

They certainly don't deserve the stick they are getting just for having the audacity to suggest the club, Knight, Perry et al did not do everthing PERFECTLY.

Richie, the point is not whether things were done perfectly or not. Any sane minded individual would accept mistakes were made. However that is different from the personal levels of abuse that get thrown at the board (Charlatan being one etc) and then hurling abuse at supporters who may challenge some innaccuracies in the original argument.

As for why Liz Costa got abused as she is neither on the board or posts on here? I suppose it was just Arthur being ironic!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here