Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Religious People Nutters?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Christianity was not the first commonly accepted and practiced belief system on these shores.

True. People were worshipping the cult of Disco-Tex and his Sex-o-Lettes for 2000 years before Christ came along, as this 4000-year-old cave painting found recently in Wookie Hole proves:

bodpostersqr5.jpg

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
True. People were worshipping the cult of Disco-Tex and his Sex-o-Lettes for 2000 years before Christ came along, as this 4000-year-old cave painting found recently in Wookie Hole proves:

bodpostersqr5.jpg

Brilliant....................... i remember them at our school disco.................

get dancing dancing dancing

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I try to follow the teachings of the bible as much as I can, I mean it was only yesterday when I was knocking seven shades of s**t out of one of my slaves when I remembered this passage from sunday school

"When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property." Exodus 21:20-21

Todays teaching is know when to stop as in the religious world there is a fine line when it comes to keeping your slaves in line.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sound moral advise there, seasider.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Clearly Phillip, you haven't met my cousin.

I wonder is she's met my Born Again Christian cousin in Canada, one of the stupidest people I have ever met ! There are some great stories but the one she tells that beggers belief is this one -

She doesn't get along with one of her daughter in law's as she was disgusted that the DIL and her son lived together before they married (I gather they were not virgins when they wed).

I should point out that she was PREGNANT with the same son when she got married (at 16).

Her answer to this ? 'Well that's different because I wasn't a Christian then !!!!!'

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I have the 'privilege' of working with a young and very devout Muslim bloke. As there's not too many mosques in Bromley he does his praying in the build room even while others work along side him. Now I don't mind him doing this (why should I anyway ?) because unlike other Muslims I have worked with they he doesn't take an over long lunch break to say his prayers.

However, I don't ask him about his religion but he does try and provoke me as well as others. I have made it clear that I am not interested in any religion but he's welcome to his. He gets rather upset when I say I have no belief in any higher authority and if he's bored trys to debate it. The other day I was bored too so I asked him why Allah was better than God ? His (standard) reply was that 'it was the one true faith'.

Seemed stumped when I asked him who decided that ?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Its the 'pick and choose' attitude that gets me. Its all fair and well doing the not stealing and love thy neighbour bit but some of the nastier bits of the bible are overlooked. Saying that worth getting into if not to enforce this little gem

You wives will submit to your husbands as you do to the Lord. For a husband is the head of his wife as Christ is the head of his body, the church; he gave his life to be her Savior. As the church submits to Christ, so you wives must submit to your husbands in everything. Ephesians 5:22-24

How does that play out at home "Look love I know its the third time you have made the tea this evening, don't blame me its written in the scriptures now two sugars please"

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Its the 'pick and choose' attitude that gets me. Its all fair and well doing the not stealing and love thy neighbour bit but some of the nastier bits of the bible are overlooked.

exactly, and how have we determined which bits are good to keep and which should be ignored, if not through an innate moral sence that exists beyond religion and believes?

Its the 'pick and choose' attitude that gets me. Its all fair and well doing the not stealing and love thy neighbour bit but some of the nastier bits of the bible are overlooked. Saying that worth getting into if not to enforce this little gem

You wives will submit to your husbands as you do to the Lord. For a husband is the head of his wife as Christ is the head of his body, the church; he gave his life to be her Savior. As the church submits to Christ, so you wives must submit to your husbands in everything. Ephesians 5:22-24

How does that play out at home "Look love I know its the third time you have made the tea this evening, don't blame me its written in the scriptures now two sugars please"

And the problem with that is ??

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
exactly, and how have we determined which bits are good to keep and which should be ignored, if not through an innate moral sence that exists beyond religion and believes?

I imagine it was decided by comittee although as with a modern day manifesto the Moses version was probably more palatable than the possible alternatives

1) If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father

2) No one whose testicles have been crushed or whose penis has been cut off may be admitted into the community of the Lord

3) "If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives

4) A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death

5) If two Israelite men are fighting and the wife of one tries to rescue her husband by grabbing the testicles of the other man, her hand must be cut off without pity

6) Wives, be subordinate to your husbands, as is proper in the Lord

Oh how different the world could have been!! Suppose trying to get any of the above pushed through was like trying to push the Euro no wonder they went with the easy option!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
And the problem with that is ??

Nothing at all!! In fact this bible is a definitive 'how to' guide for life

All these parents messsing about with the naughty step take a little advice from our favourite religion and the kids will soon be behaving

Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

Thats the trouble these days there is not enough traditional Christian upbringing!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I follow the ten commandments even though I am an atheist.

Apart from coverting my neighbours ass. I`ve always done that

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
This debate is getting crap now. Lots of christians, muslims, jews, hindus and sikhs are gentle caring people whose faith is a great source of comfort for them. The codes by which they live is exactly the same as most atheists just that they draw their points of reference from somewhere else.

It's quite obvious that the christians you mock do not follow the advice about slaves, virgins etc. They somehow are able to see the bigger picture from their bible to see the basics of the message after stripping out all the guff about shellfish etc. Why can't you lot accept that? I don't know too many christians who do believe in the infallibility of the bible yet their faiths can inspire great acts of heroism, humility and even great art. More power to their elbow in that case.

I'm damn sure that there'd be a damn uproar if a christian came on here and mentioned that atheist creeds have caused the deaths of hundreds of millions of people in Russia, China, Cambodia ergo atheism is a moral code for murderers and despots.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
This debate is getting crap now. Lots of christians, muslims, jews, hindus and sikhs are gentle caring people whose faith is a great source of comfort for them. The codes by which they live is exactly the same as most atheists just that they draw their points of reference from somewhere else.

It's quite obvious that the christians you mock do not follow the advice about slaves, virgins etc. They somehow are able to see the bigger picture from their bible to see the basics of the message after stripping out all the guff about shellfish etc. Why can't you lot accept that? I don't know too many christians who do believe in the infallibility of the bible yet their faiths can inspire great acts of heroism, humility and even great art. More power to their elbow in that case.

I'm damn sure that there'd be a damn uproar if a christian came on here and mentioned that atheist creeds have caused the deaths of hundreds of millions of people in Russia, China, Cambodia ergo atheism is a moral code for murderers and despots.

Buzzer whats your favourite biscuit ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
good question.

ummm...My heart says hobnob but my head says fig rolls.

and you?

Fig rolls ? Sometimes I worry about your sanity with some of the stuff you come out with on here.

Hobnobs ....... obviously but its Bourbon ........... Bourbon for Christs sake.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Fig rolls ? Sometimes I worry about your sanity with some of the stuff you come out with on here.

Hobnobs ....... obviously but its Bourbon ........... Bourbon for Christs sake.

Bourbon? f*** off. There's only one biscuit worthy of carrying a revolutionary movement's name and that's Garibaldi.

Or is it custard cream? I forget.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here