Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are people getting a little too touchy on here??

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Do you never think of how others may be effected by what you say, is it not something you consider before speaking?

I think the vast majority of people do think, but you cannot rule out someone taking offence at any remark.

I like toilet humour, due to having read every edition of Viz for the last 25 years, others find it tasteless, lacking decency and offensive.

We do try to accommodate people by having an 'ignore' button on NSC, but it can't work 100% of the time as you don't know who will be offended by what, and also sometimes people want to be offended, if not, the Daily Express and Mail would not exist (and whether you like it or not, the Mail has decent circulation).

Jan 30, 2008
I don't post or participate on here anywhere near as much as I used to and have done for 12 years because I can guarantee as sure as Black is Black and White is White that any thread I do will have one of the trolls make a comment trying to get a bite and start a binfest, normally within a couple of pages and sure enough it happened again on my Dog Lovers thread. I did not report it. It was a low rating on the scale of offensiveness as to some of the shit I have seen over the years. I have however invented a game for myself called " NSC Troll Bingo " and I have a card with the 7 or so main Trolls and mark them off as they come on one by one trying to wind up and offend. I try and get a full house within 100 replies and most times I do.
ha ha , i'm on it then ???

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
I think the vast majority of people do think, but you cannot rule out someone taking offence at any remark.

I like toilet humour, due to having read every edition of Viz for the last 25 years, others find it tasteless, lacking decency and offensive.

We do try to accommodate people by having an 'ignore' button on NSC, but it can't work 100% of the time as you don't know who will be offended by what, and also sometimes people want to be offended, if not, the Daily Express and Mail would not exist (and whether you like it or not, the Mail has decent circulation).

I quite agree, I can be very black when I need to be but people have to expect some 'strong' comments to be mentioned and in some cases objected to. Surely if people are allowed to make those type of 'strong' comments here others are allowed to pick them up on it, there has to be give and take on both sides.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
You really are very, very thick.

The more I think about it, the more I cant work out what's supposed to be " thick " about my post? At worst you could level an accusation of insensitivity , and judging by the syntax in your post , you're the last person who should be questioning others intelligence .

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I can be very black when I need to be.

Uh-oh, does this mean Martyn is a racist?

minstrels200.jpg

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Well, there are always consequences to any communication, intentional or not. What is need is for people to be responsible for how their words land with others. Plus those who are experiencing words that hurt them would gain from practising having them be like water off a duck's back.

We probably agree that having a level of empathy with others, is a good trait.

But to somehow 'police' words to ensure no offence could possibly been taken by a recipient, even if there is absolutely no intention to do so, is quite wrong.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
As much as there is a lot of divs on here now, looking for a quick laugh... I do like it when NSC does come together in times of need...

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Because you said this

What is need is for people to be responsible for how their words land with others.

Does that mean you do think about it but don't particularly care

People being responsible for how their words land with others will take care with the impact of how their words are received.

So, for example, even if there is no racist intent, a white teacher would refrain from using the term 'silly monkey' if they think it may trigger memories of racist insults for a black child in their class they are speaking with. They won't merely hide behind the fact there was no racist intent nor would they blame the other person for being over-sensitive.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
i'm not , just pragmatic thats all, you've just shown that you're not the sharpest tool in the box with a stock response like that .

You're as choosy as the next person about what we should and should not be offended by. Mention anything derogatroy about the army and the lego flies everywhere. If anyone dares to question your dubious views on race, it's "freedom of speech". You're a hypocrite.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You're as choosy as the next person about what we should and should not be offended by. Mention anything derogatroy about the army and the lego flies everywhere. If anyone dares to question your dubious views on race, it's "freedom of speech". You're a hypocrite.

Hard to argue with that.

(he will though, obviously)

Before i say anything else, yes i am aware that something went on with Bozza and the Police yesterday and i am not suggesting for one minuite that anything that could become further problems should be classed as what i am about to say.

However, what is going on with some people on here at the moment??

Yesterday i made an ironic comment that included the words 'Bat for the other side' in it. I have seen FAR worse go unpunished on here in the past. Someone took offense to it and i recieved some sort of infringment points (whatever the fcuk that means!).

In the thread about the Olympic closing ceremony last night, more than one person made joke about Jessie J being a lesbien, some of the comments included 'she licks the other side of the stamp' Explain how that is less naughty than what i said yesterday? It, and the other comments, went un-punished.

Someone has just made a comment in the Dog Lovers thread that they obviously thought was amusing. It really wasnt and they soon apologised. Now unless someone has actually had their dog put in the oven before, surely it shouldnt cause that much offence????? The comment was removed by a Mod after the person that said it apologised. Bad taste in jokes but surely nobody took it seriously enough to piss their pants and report it to a moderator???

Are some people having major sense of humour failures and reporting these type comments, or are the Mods getting power crazy and getting kicks out of controlling other peoples speech??

Can't say i've noticed anyone getting the hump:moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here