Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are people getting a little too touchy on here??

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Different people find different things offensive and funny. There is a thread on here which is a caption competition for a picture of Brian may and Jessie J at the Closing ceremony. I thought it might be worth a look, but soon realised that it was full of unfunny sexual innuendo. I didn't object to it because of the sexual innuendo, but there just wasn't any wittiness in evidence. It just wasn't funny.

I have a close member of my family who is gay. I would not complain on here about the use of expressions like "licking the other side of the stamp", but I don't like them. One just realises that some people who post on here are fairly pathetic in their understanding and treatment of other people. Part of the gist of this thread seems to be that to be a football fan you have to be a totally insensitive and offensive clod. I know plenty of people - some of them even Southampton fans - who would give the lie to that.

I would also realise it is possible to upset people unthinkingly. I didn't say anything about it at the time, but I was in a gathering before a meeting about five years ago when someone was bemoaning how depressing something she had been doing at work had been. She use the expression "I could have slit my wrists". A week before a cousin of mine had decided to take his own life by jumping over a cliff (not beachy head). I didn't burst in to tears or anything, but it meant I did not concentrate properly on the proceedings for about the next two hours. If the woman who had said it had known, she would have been mortified.... which just goes to show that perfectly reasonable people can give offence fairly innocently.

But a lot of what goes on here is way, way beyond that and is offensive for the sake of being offensive. People trying to be funny but , in the eyes of many others, failing miserably.

Its very sad what happened to your cousin, but you really do need to man up a bit, that sort of expression that left you "unable to concentrate" is an everyday throwaway one . If you were that upset perhaps you shouldn't have been in work ?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I think the point of what i was saying was that the expression is an everyday throwaway one. And i wasn't that upset. An everyday throwaway expression can remind you of something without it absolutely wrecking you.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think the point of what i was saying was that the expression is an everyday throwaway one. And i wasn't that upset. An everyday throwaway expression can remind you of something without it absolutely wrecking you.

But that was just a comment that reminded you of a tragic personal circumstance.

If our starting position was that there are always consequences to any communication we just as well pack up and all go home now.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You just dont get it do you ... What you said is wrong.. it doesnt matter whether its aimed at men or women. Its horrid,its homophobic and and you obviously dont understand because you are asking me if its ok to be aimed at 'lezzers". THAT is, in itself, a derogatory comment . We dont need it, or you putting this sort of stuff here.
Go away and learn about human beings...quite frankly , i know who i would rather be around...and its not you !
Blimey. I have to say, and this is just my opinion, that given a choice of an NSC full of people like junior or people like you I would choose the 'juniors'.

I guess that makes me a bad person :(

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We do now seem to inhabit a world in which it is very easy to be offended, often on behalf of someone else.

I blame the death of Diana, after that the whole country turned into a bunch of shandy drinking bedwetters, blubbing at the first opportunity when hearing good or bad news, revelling in mawkish sentimentality that makes 'celebrities' out of mediocre singers and reality TV nonentities who are on their 'journey' following some tragedy that may or may not have befallen them in the past (not that I wish any such tragedy on anyone) , and others who believe that getting their tits out or shagging someone and posting it on the internet is indicative of some exclusive talent.

I blame the hand wringers of this world.

I don't live in a perfect world myself, I accept that and neither do I want to live in a perfect world. That would be very, very f***ing boring.

I just wish the hand wringers would accept it too, and if they can't then maybe NSC is not for them.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
You just dont get it do you ... What you said is wrong.. it doesnt matter whether its aimed at men or women. Its horrid,its homophobic and and you obviously dont understand because you are asking me if its ok to be aimed at 'lezzers". THAT is, in itself, a derogatory comment . We dont need it, or you putting this sort of stuff here.
Go away and learn about human beings...quite frankly , i know who i would rather be around...and its not you !

f*** me:lol: Are you the sort of person that writes into points of View complaining about swearing on TV and stuff like that? In fact - Are you Armish?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
But that was just a comment that reminded you of a tragic personal circumstance.

If our starting position was that there are always consequences to any communication we just as well pack up and all go home now.

Well, there are always consequences to any communication, intentional or not. What is need is for people to be responsible for how their words land with others. Plus those who are experiencing words that hurt them would gain from practising having them be like water off a duck's back.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Well, there are always consequences to any communication, intentional or not. What is need is for people to be responsible for how their words land with others. Plus others who are experiencing words that hurt them to practise having them be like water off a duck's back.

I had a pet duck once called Arnold, he was eaten by a fox, you've upset me know by reminding me of the incident.

RIP Arnold x

Arnold-duck.jpg

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Christ what a thread to read.

Personally I think that people are a little touchy at times but, by the same token, others are gleefully pushing the edge to see how much of a tit they can be before they do offend someone, at which point they blame the person that's been offended for not finding the joke funny.

Neither way is the right way to be on a forum really, you shouldn't ever need to be outright offensive/insulting to put your point across to someone unless you lack wherewithal/ability to make your point like a grown up.

I now anticipate someone claiming to be offended or telling me I'm not actually a football fan...

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Well, there are always consequences to any communication, intentional or not. What is need is for people to be responsible for how their words land with others. Plus those who are experiencing words that hurt them would gain from practising having them be like water off a duck's back.

Do you never think of how others may be effected by what you say, is it not something you consider before speaking?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Do you never think of how others may be effected by what you say, is it not something you consider before speaking?

Yes, I do. Why?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here