Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Anyone still in denial?

andys320

Jan 10, 2014
I was Potter out, had a brief flirtation with in, but now I think out again.

However, that's only my opinion and (quite rightly) counts for very little.

Ultimately it comes down to one person, Tony Bloom and to be fair, he's not done badly for us and it is his money at potential risk after all.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I was Potter out, had a brief flirtation with in, but now I think out again.

However, that's only my opinion and (quite rightly) counts for very little.

Ultimately it comes down to one person, Tony Bloom and to be fair, he's not done badly for us and it is his money at potential risk after all.

All managers go eventually but Gus didn't end well , Hyppia was a nightmare , Hughton's dismissal caused a media backlash and Potter has us on goal difference from a relegation position.

It's a tricky job but selecting a manager has not been plain sailing for TB.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
You really think he is going to say to the press that he is unhappy with the squad that TB has provided him with!!!

We are led to believe we missed out on some targets, Darwin, Brewster and who knows who else we might have been bidding for.

Why would he be "unhappy with the squad that TB provided him with"?

Zeqiri, Trossard, Tau (recalled), Moder, Karbownik, Wellbeck, Lallana all joined on Potter's watch. They are players HE has brought in. Unless you want me to believe that this kind of conversation is a regular event:

TB: Great news. We have just paid an absolute fortune to sign up Wellbeck and Lallana

GP: But boss. They are a couple of sicknotes whose best days were long ago and i really do not want them in my first team squad

TB: Tough. You are having them anyway. Live with it

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
All managers go eventually but Gus didn't end well , Hyppia was a nightmare , Hughton's dismissal caused a media backlash and Potter has us on goal difference from a relegation position.

It's a tricky job but selecting a manager has not been plain sailing for TB.

If you just judge from how it ended and conveniently ignore things like Poyet taking the club to the Championship and Hughton taking it to the Premier League... then sure, its going to look bad. Considering how things ended with Arsene Wenger in Arsenal, you could say David Dein made the wrong decision to hire him. If you see more than that, the appointment looks a bit better.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Why would he be "unhappy with the squad that TB provided him with"?

Zeqiri, Trossaard, Tau (recalled), Moder, Karbownik, Wellbeck, Lallana all joined on Potter's watch. They are players HE has brought in. Unless you want me to believe that this kind of conversation is a regular event:

TB: Great news. We have just paid an absolute fortune to sign up Wellbeck and Lallana

GP: But boss. They are a couple of sicknotes whose best days were long ago and i really do not want them in my first team squad

TB: Tough. You are having them anyway. Live with it

Nope.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
If you just judge from how it ended and conveniently ignore things like Poyet taking the club to the Championship and Hughton taking it to the Premier League... then sure, its going to look bad. Considering how things ended with Arsene Wenger in Arsenal, you could say David Dein made the wrong decision to hire him. If you see more than that, the appointment looks a bit better.

Comparing Potter's current situation with Wenger's at Arsenal, even for the purpose of supporting a line of thought, is....well.....quite frankly.......preposterous.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Yup. That's a coherent contribution to the thread. Thank you.

If you really believe that any PL manager or coach does not have any veto over players joining the club then you are living in cloud cuckoo land fella.

I know it's pointless because like there are a few here for whom CH can do no wrong, and will still defend him until the end of time, you are exactly the same with Potter.

You are so fawning in your adoration for Potter that you are blinkered by his shortcomings and errors. But dont get too upset; I was the same with David Bowie when he formed Tin Machine.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
It’s too late to replace him now but let’s be honest now are we suggesting that other than Bruce or Allardyce type appointment there isn’t a manager across world football with good top level experience (better than Swedish noddy league and a year at Swansea) that couldn’t do a decent job?

Leeds found Bielsa, Wolves Nuno, Saints Ralph H. How many of them would fans had picked?

We are a Premier league club and would be attractive to almost every single manager in global football outside those in the Champions League.

bielsa is a one off, nuno is part of an expensive package, and saints got lucky, loads of duds after poch. and what would [MENTION=1517]junior[/MENTION] say if we got tonked 9-0 twice!

bloom will want any new manager to fit into his system at the club,

and i'm sure potter will improve his own game and ours, given time

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Specifically asked for "his" recruitment man to come with him from Swansea.

Or, put another way, whose idea do you think it was to replace Duffy with Webster? Is it not interesting there were goalkeeper rumours doing the rounds in the summer and now Ryan is out on loan? Andy Carroll - could do a job? Or totally unsuited to Potterball. Etc etc.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yup. That's a coherent contribution to the thread. Thank you.

If you really believe that any PL manager or coach does not have any veto over players joining the club then you are living in cloud cuckoo land fella.

I know it's pointless because like there are a few here for whom CH can do no wrong, and will still defend him until the end of time, you are exactly the same with Potter.

You are so fawning in your adoration for Potter that you are blinkered by his shortcomings and errors. But dont get too upset; I was the same with David Bowie when he formed Tin Machine.

Specifically asked for "his" recruitment man to come with him from Swansea.

Or, put another way, whose idea do you think it was to replace Duffy with Webster? Is it not interesting there were goalkeeper rumours doing the rounds in the summer and now Ryan is out on loan? Andy Carroll - could do a job? Or totally unsuited to Potterball. Etc etc.

Of course GP got a big say in signings and could say no to a player. Its still not him bringing them in though. He give a list of positions and attributes he'd like to strengthen the team with, the recruitment team give him a list of players and they work something out. I know GP watches a lot of football but I think there is very little chance of him knowing **** all about Zeqiri, Moder and Karbownik before they were shown to him by the recruitment team. Its not his job bringing in players, hence they are not the players "HE" brought in.

Comparing Potter's current situation with Wenger's at Arsenal, even for the purpose of supporting a line of thought, is....well.....quite frankly.......preposterous.

Depends on your relation to thoughts, if they are a bit difficult then I definitely agree it looks preposterous.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021

Almost as amusing as when he compared Messi's technique at finishing with Neil Maupay's. Up there with one of the most jaw dropping illustrations of knowing sod all about football since the England manager left Barnes and Waddle on the bench against Argentina.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't think Welbeck is what we would think of as a "traditional number nine". Not a "cross it in and he'll bury it with his head" type of player. And I've not been impressed with his hold up play either. He runs the channels just like Maupay.

Jogs?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Almost as amusing as when he compared Messi's technique at finishing with Neil Maupay's. Up there with one of the most jaw dropping illustrations of knowing sod all about football since the England manager left Barnes and Waddle on the bench against Argentina.

It was a comparison between Tony Bloom and David Dein, not Graham Potter and Arsene Wenger.

Not that I think explaining it helps as some people are just not very clever, but I'll give you another chance:
Some dude said TB had troubles with his coaches and mentioned Poyets and Hughtons exits as examples. I pointed out that if you look at more than just the exits, it suddenly looks a lot better. To reinforce what I meant, I used David Dein signing Wenger as the example: it ended in tears, but does it mean Dein had a trouble appointing a coach?

As for the Messi vs Maupay example, it was not a comparison between the two players.

You had your deluded idea that Maupay is a shite player because he, "like a U10 player", watches the ball when he takes a shot. I showed you a picture of Lionel Messi watching the ball when he was taking a shot (because thats how players generally do in most situations). It was a comparison between your flawed idea and the real world, not a comparison between Maupay and Messi. Get it?

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
It was a comparison between Tony Bloom and David Dein, not Graham Potter and Arsene Wenger.

Not that I think explaining it helps as some people are just not very clever, but I'll give you another chance:
Some dude said TB had troubles with his coaches and mentioned Poyets and Hughtons exits as examples. I pointed out that if you look at more than just the exits, it suddenly looks a lot better. To reinforce what I meant, I used David Dein signing Wenger as the example: it ended in tears, but does it mean Dein had a trouble appointing a coach?

As for the Messi vs Maupay example, it was not a comparison between the two players.

You had your deluded idea that Maupay is a shite player because he, "like a U10 player", watches the ball when he takes a shot. I showed you a picture of Lionel Messi watching the ball when he was taking a shot (because thats how players generally do in most situations). It was a comparison between your flawed idea and the real world, not a comparison between Maupay and Messi. Get it?

Dude? Wrong, country, I'm English, not American. One difference (and there are many) between Messi and Maupay (if anyone really does need this to be explained!?!) is that Messi already will have clocked where the keeper is, but Maupay whacks it and trusts to luck more often than not. Messi really isn't lucky and Maupay, really isn't unlucky. And yes, it's still daft to compare Wenger, the manager of one of the biggest cubs in England, who won it all, but the European Cup and a young manager who can do wonders with a midfield down at the Albion but who still has lots to learn.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Of course GP got a big say in signings and could say no to a player. Its still not him bringing them in though. He give a list of positions and attributes he'd like to strengthen the team with, the recruitment team give him a list of players and they work something out. I know GP watches a lot of football but I think there is very little chance of him knowing **** all about Zeqiri, Moder and Karbownik before they were shown to him by the recruitment team. Its not his job bringing in players, hence they are not the players "HE" brought in.

That's how it works. So these players were brought in for Potter-era football by a recruitment team that he forms part of and that also includes a bloke specifically hired from Swansea.

That's a bit of a mouthful when you're responding to a one word denial though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Don't talk daft. Just dont say you are happy with the squad. You dont have to blame anyone.

In reality managers have to say they’re fine with the squad.

To do otherwise could undermine player morale and will end badly with their employer.

Mourinho in recent jobs and Poyet bucked that unwritten rule with open budget whinging and Mourinho’s bitched about players. It doesn’t help anyone except football reporters and fans opposed to club owners.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Dude? Wrong, country, I'm English, not American. One difference (and there are many) between Messi and Maupay (if anyone really does need this to be explained!?!) is that Messi already will have clocked where the keeper is, but Maupay whacks it and trusts to luck more often than not. Messi really isn't lucky and Maupay, really isn't unlucky. And yes, it's still daft to compare Wenger, the manager of one of the biggest cubs in England, who won it all, but the European Cup and a young manager who can do wonders with a midfield down at the Albion but who still has lots to learn.

:ffsparr:

"It was a comparison between Tony Bloom and David Dein, not Graham Potter and Arsene Wenger.

You had your deluded idea that Maupay is a shite player because he, "like a U10 player", watches the ball when he takes a shot. I showed you a picture of Lionel Messi watching the ball when he was taking a shot (because thats how players generally do in most situations). It was a comparison between your flawed idea and the real world, not a comparison between Maupay and Messi. Get it?"

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

But that’s not what he was doing? It was clearly a comment that if you look at how managerial stints end you would say Wenger was a poor choice because you have failed to look at the previous 20 years

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here