Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Anyone still in denial?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Resigned to relegation now.

I don't think it matters who is the manager so might as well stick with Potter.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
The season hinges on our next 2. A final chance to get back on track. 4 points minimum. Get those 4 points & absolutely no reason why we cant stay up. We'll have 9 games to go with say 8+ points needed. Fail to get those 4 points from Newcastle and Southampton & we're done.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The season hinges on our next 2. A final chance to get back on track. 4 points minimum. Get those 4 points & absolutely no reason why we cant stay up. We'll have 9 games to go with say 8+ points needed. Fail to get those 4 points from Newcastle and Southampton & we're done.

2 wins would ease the pain . . . . Burnley and Fulham have a run in they could garner points from. I think Newcastles run in is hardest, we must beat them. we've failed to beat anyone else around us so it may well be our defining moment. Mays fixtures for us aren't looking very pointy!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I really won’t.

Are you saying that regardless of well Potter might do from this point on, you still want him sacked, or are you just absolutely convinced that our players will continue to miss glorious chance after glorious chance, and concede from a handful of opportunities afforded to the opposition?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Junior agree 100% with everything you say, there must be someone else who could play instead of that Giraffe who is incapable of jumping off the ground to head a ball, who's cost us so many points this year with bad defending and the in ability to score a simple goal.

blimey, [MENTION=1517]junior[/MENTION] is taking the piss, but your'e not... :ffsparr:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Given that OP suggested that nobody had damaged the club as much as the current set up, since Archer and Belotti, I thought it was worth making another comparison to counter that argument. Look at Sheffield Wednesday at the moment, right on the brink. Not that long ago, our two clubs were battling each other in the championship playoffs. Since then they have mismanaged their finances, gambled against FFP and it hasn't worked out. Sadly they're now paying the price.

On the other hand we've been careful and shrewd, and not over stretched ourselves. We've been surving in the Premier League, and yes we may be involved in a relegation battle but the fact is if we went down we won't be staring into the abyss. The foundations are there for us to pick ourselves up and go again. Like all clubs there will be ups and downs on the pitch but our long term stability is secure.

How Sheffield Wednesday is being run is damaging their club. You can't say that about our current set up. They have a plan in place, and its a good plan, and it would be a shame if we suffered a setback with relegation, but thats all it would be, a setback, not the end of the club.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Given that OP suggested that nobody had damaged the club as much as the current set up, since Archer and Belotti, I thought it was worth making another comparison to counter that argument. Look at Sheffield Wednesday at the moment, right on the brink. Not that long ago, our two clubs were battling each other in the championship playoffs. Since then they have mismanaged their finances, gambled against FFP and it hasn't worked out. Sadly they're now paying the price.

On the other hand we've been careful and shrewd, and not over stretched ourselves. We've been surving in the Premier League, and yes we may be involved in a relegation battle but the fact is if we went down we won't be staring into the abyss. The foundations are there for us to pick ourselves up and go again. Like all clubs there will be ups and downs on the pitch but our long term stability is secure.

How Sheffield Wednesday is being run is damaging their club. You can't say that about our current set up. They have a plan in place, and its a good plan, and it would be a shame if we suffered a setback with relegation, but thats all it would be, a setback, not the end of the club.
People are going to food banks in 2021 and your worried about a massive football club? Disappointing.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
People are going to food banks in 2021 and your worried about a massive football club? Disappointing.

Thats just a bizarre comment. Does that mean that we should scrap all talk of football, on this football forum because people are going to foodbanks?

If the topic of this thread had been about social inequality then maybe I would have made a post about foodbanks, but as the post was about the situation of our football club I kept my comment on topic. Something you may want to consider if you want your posts to appear coherent.

Perhaps if you feel so strongly that replying to a post about football, with an opinion about football, on football forum, is inappropriate, then maybe you're on the wrong forum.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

Agree with this. Whilst it would be hugely disappointing, the sale of a couple of players and a chance for 3/4 young fringe players to come through would put us back on track.
So, relegation, a huge disappointment, yes, but not the end of the world if we manage the transition right. Burnley did it, Norwich look like doing it and WBA have too albeit they look Championship bound again.
However, for all that, let’s give ourselves every chance of staying up.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He is just passing through, like all the managers who have gone before and all those still to come. The record books will not tell you how they played, only what results they achieved. In time, he will be judged with all the others. If he keeps us in the PL, for the length of his tenure, his legacy will be very good. If we get relegated and bounce back, his legacy will still be good. Anything else..i.e relegated and not returning...will not be deemed successful.
He is relatively young and inexperienced. He is cutting his teeth with us in the PL and still learning. The board took a gamble. By buying into a new ethos, they knew that some of the old guard would have to be phased out and new, different players, brought in. This was not an easy transition and I thought we may need to be relegated to return stronger and different. We weren't and thus expectation rose for this season.
Some expected too much. After all, the hierarchy did say the target was top ten. Unrealistic, I'm afraid. If we want to remain members of this elite league, we have to realise our place. We are members of a gaggle of clubs, who would all like to do better but are hamstrung by budget. We can all shop in the middle price range...£15m - £25m but no higher. That is what hinders progress. Quality costs money at this level. Therefore, shrewd buying and skillful management makes the difference.
Potter is like his team, a long way from the finished article. We defend from open play really well but are weak at defending set pieces. We carry the ball well through midfield but lack a bit of physical presence. We do create chances but miss a lot, through lack of quality. Our offensive set pieces need real work on. The balance between being too lightweight and more physical needs addressing.
As for the manager. His gameplan needs more flexibilty. He needs to accept that we are better at counter-attacking than forcing the pace. He needs to ensure our tempo of play is not too slow. He and his staff need to work their socks off on fitness and concentration levels. They have to balance our team better. He has to work on being more pro-active in games. He is too passive for too long at the moment, letting teams make changes and gain an advantage, whilst sitting back and expecting his gameplan to cope with it.
If he addresses most or all of this, then he may be in demand but he has a lot of work to do yet to reach that level.

Interesting post and I agree with a lot of it. I take issue with some of it though. All about opinions :shrug:

Some managers do stick around, too.

ALBION.jpg

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

It’s so easy to state things like this but football is rarely that simple.

Such is the unpredictably of the game, we could get a single point, or even lose both then get a bit of a freak win at OT and beat Everton.

You’re not done until you’re done. If you’re within a few points of safety with 9 to play - you’re not done. Simple as that really.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008

Such is the unpredictably of the game, we could get a single point, or even lose both then get a bit of a freak win at OT and beat Everton.

You’re not done until you’re done. If you’re within a few points of safety with 9 to play - you’re not done. Simple as that really.

Oh I fully agree. Its just when you weigh up how likely or unlikely our survival is, for me it swings vastly into the unlikely side of things without some positive results in those 2 games. That doesnt mean we could then surprise people further down the line but a surprise result in its nature is unlikely, and so therefor so is our survival. Whatever the outcome I shall still be supporting us to the very end...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Doncaster and Hereford . . . . fat lass was standing next to us with a mic plugged in for weeks . . . . relegation will be bloody annoying for us, and is utterly avoidable, IMHO, but it's not even on the same scale as spring 97

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Anyone still in denial that we are not going down this season?

It's been on the cards for months and Fulhams results today has sealed it. They are on the march and we are in freefall. Hard to see where our next point is coming from.

I've been pointing it out for months that this clueless ****wit is taking us down, yet everybody else seemed in denial. I think most people have come round to realising now that our Premier league days are coming to an end.

Potter will have to be replaced next season as he's clearly lost the dressing room. He's the most uninspiring manager we've ever had bar Hyppia. Churns out the same twaddle every week in his pressers, sucking through his teeth and telling us we are learning...which is clearly bullshit.

Turning some decent players into absolute donkeys, coaching out the ability to score goals, random substitutions, playing Dan Burn every week which should be a criminal offence.

Can't think of anyone who has damaged this club more since Belotti and Archer.

Morning Junior...or should that be mourning Junior?

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
He must live a sad life if his post are anything to go by.

A complete negative Nancy that's gets his kicks when we are not doing good.

The things is, he will still have this view of Potter if he got us into Europe. He can't/won't say he's wrong.

I can respect people have a changed in views from time to time, but this as been one big agenda against Potter in my view, which is completely unwarranted.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
He must live a sad life if his post are anything to go by.

A complete negative Nancy that's gets his kicks when we are not doing good.

The things is, he will still have this view of Potter if he got us into Europe. He can't/won't say he's wrong.

I can respect people have a changed in views from time to time, but this as been one big agenda against Potter in my view, which is completely unwarranted.

The famous armed forces humour, innit? The hours must fly by.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here