Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Anyone still in denial?

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
In reality managers have to say they’re fine with the squad.

To do otherwise could undermine player morale and will end badly with their employer.

Mourinho in recent jobs and Poyet bucked that unwritten rule with open budget whinging and Mourinho’s bitched about players. It doesn’t help anyone except football reporters and fans opposed to club owners.
Or he can say he doesnt want to talk about that now, its not a productive to talk about now.

People make up their own minds anyway. He says hes happy people say no he isn't. The only person who really knows is him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Or he can say he doesnt want to talk about that now, its not a productive to talk about now.

People make up their own minds anyway. He says hes happy people say no he isn't. The only person who really knows is him.

Replying “I don’t want to talk about that now” would give the message that he’s not happy. You know what the media (and social media) are like.

Playing the team player and not revealing/alluding to internal rifts or disagreements (that’s if they exist at all) is the professional and psychological path to take.

Press conferences and post match interviews shouldn’t be used to give hints to fans that GP is unhappy with TB’s budget or DA’s recruitment strategy. It’s confidential, as much as that’s boring for us nosey fans.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I think you're being naive about this press thing.

Press: So Graham, are you happy with the squad you've got?

GP: I don't want to talk about that.

Anybody with common sense will read between the lines and know he's not happy and his employer will know that and so will his players. My strong advice to you is to ignore what is said in press conferences. Idiot managers will air their grievances, intelligent one will keep it to themselves and any issues, they discuss behind closed doors.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
I think you're being naive about this press thing.

GP: I don't want to talk about that.

Anybody with common sense will read between the lines and know he's not happy and his employer will know that and so will his players. My strong advice to you is to ignore what is said in press conferences. Idiot managers will air their grievances, intelligent one will keep it to themselves and any issues, they discuss behind closed doors.

But there are other ways of expressing ones intention other than a humpish answer to the media. As has been said many times it's more than possible for the following,

GP: "yes in general, but as a manager you are always looking to improve and improve the squad so if that means dipping into the transfer market this summer, and if funds allow, then that's what we will do".

There. No difference to what every manager from Bognor to Barcelona would want and would have every right in saying. Remember that the vast majority will be sacked within 18 month to 2 years, so why not have a little bit of diplomatic honesty in striving for success.:ohmy:

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
But there are other ways of expressing ones intention other than a humpish answer to the media. As has been said many times it's more than possible for the following,

GP: "yes in general, but as a manager you are always looking to improve and improve the squad so if that means dipping into the transfer market this summer, and if funds allow, then that's what we will do".

There. No difference to what every manager from Bognor to Barcelona would want and would have every right in saying. Remember that the vast majority will be sacked within 18 month to 2 years, so why not have a little bit of diplomatic honesty in striving for success.:ohmy:

What can “honesty” in a press conference possibly achieve!

Do you think TB gives a stuff about it to the point he’ll change his mind on the direction of travel!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
What can “honesty” in a press conference possibly achieve!

Do you think TB gives a stuff about it to the point he’ll change his mind on the direction of travel!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Integrity for a start. What's the point of dealing with the media, which all managers have to do at all levels, only to show no emotion or relevance to any question? Remember what ever happens - relegation or survival he will probably be somewhere else in 3 years time. If for example we are relegated I think he will be given one season to get back up as I can't see anybody
from fans to the chairman being happy with say 8th place.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

But you don’t know what’s been said behind closed doors.

Look, frankly it doesn’t matter what’s said in those public appearances. The pressers are basically a puff piece for the journalists to get some team news and a few pertinent quotes they can use in their articles. We know our manager well enough by now to know he’s going to be diplomatic in front of a camera.

For all we know GP could have had heated discussions with Tony, Paul and Dan.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Hmmmm.....I never think either of your two possibilities. Perhaps 'we' are being invited to take sides by some of the toxic posters on NSC. A bit like the Boris/Starmer 'debates' - "which one is the new Jesus, and which is The Devil? Come on! Answer! Your (sic) deluded!".

Look, this is just another Junior wind-up thread. Who starts a thread then just sits back and watches people react (apart from [MENTION=3385]crodonilson[/MENTION], but he's clever and funny)? A WUM. There is no point discussing the finer points of The Albion in a Junior thread. It would be like talking to the cat. :shrug:

My cat passed 7 years ago, but I'll have you know I had wonderful chats with him. He could say hello when he came in the cat door, grunt and chunter quite happily with me and dare I suggest that as a result, he knew more about the Albion than Junior will ever know!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My cat passed 7 years ago, but I'll have you know I had wonderful chats with him. He could say hello when he came in the cat door, grunt and chunter quite happily with me and dare I suggest that as a result, he knew more about the Albion than Junior will ever know!

Regarding that, I'll not demur. ??? :bowdown:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Three or four PL clubs have been sniffing around the Sporting Lisbon manager apparently.

And they will be sniffing around Potter before the end of next season. I promise you, you will be worrying about him leaving before long.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Slightly OT but I knew a Professor of Languages in Taipei who claimed to be able to "speak cat".

He was American, had a massive beard before they were trendy and called the referee "Sir" when he played football. And, obviously, he was much less mad than anyone who gives [MENTION=1517]junior[/MENTION] a shred of credibility.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
And they will be sniffing around Potter before the end of next season. I promise you, you will be worrying about him leaving before long.

He is just passing through, like all the managers who have gone before and all those still to come. The record books will not tell you how they played, only what results they achieved. In time, he will be judged with all the others. If he keeps us in the PL, for the length of his tenure, his legacy will be very good. If we get relegated and bounce back, his legacy will still be good. Anything else..i.e relegated and not returning...will not be deemed successful.
He is relatively young and inexperienced. He is cutting his teeth with us in the PL and still learning. The board took a gamble. By buying into a new ethos, they knew that some of the old guard would have to be phased out and new, different players, brought in. This was not an easy transition and I thought we may need to be relegated to return stronger and different. We weren't and thus expectation rose for this season.
Some expected too much. After all, the hierarchy did say the target was top ten. Unrealistic, I'm afraid. If we want to remain members of this elite league, we have to realise our place. We are members of a gaggle of clubs, who would all like to do better but are hamstrung by budget. We can all shop in the middle price range...£15m - £25m but no higher. That is what hinders progress. Quality costs money at this level. Therefore, shrewd buying and skillful management makes the difference.
Potter is like his team, a long way from the finished article. We defend from open play really well but are weak at defending set pieces. We carry the ball well through midfield but lack a bit of physical presence. We do create chances but miss a lot, through lack of quality. Our offensive set pieces need real work on. The balance between being too lightweight and more physical needs addressing.
As for the manager. His gameplan needs more flexibilty. He needs to accept that we are better at counter-attacking than forcing the pace. He needs to ensure our tempo of play is not too slow. He and his staff need to work their socks off on fitness and concentration levels. They have to balance our team better. He has to work on being more pro-active in games. He is too passive for too long at the moment, letting teams make changes and gain an advantage, whilst sitting back and expecting his gameplan to cope with it.
If he addresses most or all of this, then he may be in demand but he has a lot of work to do yet to reach that level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here