Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Anyone still in denial?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
We paid £16m. He's scored 17 goals in 62 with 5 assists.
What were you expecting for £16m ?
Ollie Watkins was £28m. Rhian Brewster (0 in 21) was £23.5m.

Callum Wilson cost Newcastle approximately £20m and has scored 10 goals in 21 games.
Danny Ings cost Southampton approximately £18m and has scored 31 goals in 57 games.
Watkins has scored 10 goals in 22 appearances in the Premier League.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Publicly talking about that a few players being your "weak link" is rarely going to do any good. Sure a small number of people would find it more motivating than confidence-busting but in general its very rarely working out, and I dont think the issue with the strikers is "motivation".

Do you think the strikers are not good enough then?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Do you think the strikers are not good enough then?

Gus Poyet told a few truths to the press after the Play off defeat about the club 'hitting a glass ceiling' - he was right it turns out. But he also lost his job partly because of this.

No manger is going to speak out about Tony Bloom investment, if they want to keep their job

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Gus Poyet told a few truths to the press after the Play off defeat about the club 'hitting a glass ceiling' - he was right it turns out. But he also lost his job partly because of this.

No manger is going to speak out about Tony Bloom investment, if they want to keep their job
I think managers do it all the time. They don't only say positive things about their teams and players.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We had some luck but actually in the end stayed up due to two dogged, backs against the wall performances v Wolves and Arsenal and a decent point v Newcastle. We deserved also to get a point from Spurs. After the dreadful defeats v Cardiff, Saints and Bournemouth.
If our season really is similar to 18/19 then we will win our next 2 games (as Matchday 27 and 28 were the wins v Hudds and Palace).

Thanks for the reminder, so we could gain 6 points then a slow stinging shart until we go to Arsenal . . . :eek:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Callum Wilson cost Newcastle approximately £20m and has scored 10 goals in 21 games.
Danny Ings cost Southampton approximately £18m and has scored 31 goals in 57 games.
Watkins has scored 10 goals in 22 appearances in the Premier League.

Is your point that we should have signed the very few PL strikers who in hindsight turned out to be vfm ? Ha !

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Both Maupay and Connolly are younger than most of the good strikers in the league, they definitely got the potential to get better.

Why would Potter telling the press something along those lines such a dumb thing to do. If thats what he thinks.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Why would Potter telling the press something along those lines such a dumb thing to do. If thats what he thinks.

Saying that they will learn and improve is something he could say (if we use the full width of our imaginations).

Saying that they are the weak links is nothing he or any other sensible manager would do. Telling young people they are not good enough is more likely to turn them into wife beaters than world beaters.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Saying that they will learn and improve is something he could say (if we use the full width of our imaginations).

Saying that they are the weak links is nothing he or any other sensible manager would do. Telling young people they are not good enough is more likely to turn them into wife beaters than world beaters.
I disagree. They most proberbly feel like they are the weakest link unless your suggesting players can't look at things objectively.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Sorry i just do not see it and would love to be proved wrong.

Neither will ever be premier league standard

you'll laugh at me but i think Connolly has a lot of potential , he reminds me of a young rooney but without the van nistelrooy to school him , maybe the management thought wellbeck was it ....he ain't , we need a target man ( been saying it for 5 yrs) i whopper of a drogba clone for all our small men to play off , we offer no ariel threat at all , thus the short corners when all our big men have trotted up to the opposition box only to see the ball be cycled back to ryan/sanchez.......****ing tiresome , get it in the box and see what happens ffs.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
you'll laugh at me but i think Connolly has a lot of potential , he reminds me of a young rooney but without the van nistelrooy to school him , maybe the management thought wellbeck was it ....he ain't , we need a target man ( been saying it for 5 yrs) i whopper of a drogba clone for all our small men to play off , we offer no ariel threat at all , thus the short corners when all our big men have trotted up to the opposition box only to see the ball be cycled back to ryan/sanchez.......****ing tiresome , get it in the box and see what happens ffs.

Connolly LOOKS like Rooney and he's young. But otherwise a totally different player. Rooney could take a set piece and was good enough technically to drop into midfield later in his career (and now coach). Connolly will be screwed when his pace goes.

The rest of that is sensible though. We have very similar players as "attacking options". Lots of quicker, smaller strikers, lots of "creative number 10s" who can find space centrally. But this is why I continually say we have no Plan B. Stop that and you stop Brighton (plus, currently, fail to stop us and we'll just hit the woodwork or stick in in Row Z anyway).

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Is your point that we should have signed the very few PL strikers who in hindsight turned out to be vfm ? Ha !

Not necessarily, I was just offering some balance to your carefully selected strikers who cost a lot without much return. Personally I would have been very pleased if we’d have signed Wilson, but I appreciate he wouldn’t have been a transfer that suits the club’s transfer policy as there’s little sell on fee likely.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Connolly LOOKS like Rooney and he's young. But otherwise a totally different player. Rooney could take a set piece and was good enough technically to drop into midfield later in his career (and now coach). Connolly will be screwed when his pace goes.

The rest of that is sensible though. We have very similar players as "attacking options". Lots of quicker, smaller strikers, lots of "creative number 10s" who can find space centrally. But this is why I continually say we have no Plan B. Stop that and you stop Brighton (plus, currently, fail to stop us and we'll just hit the woodwork or stick in in Row Z anyway).

connolly has at least 7 or 8 yrs to develop , he's a whopper at the moment but look at vardy ....!! fleetwood one minute premiership winner 2 years later , i actually think connolly will develop into a decent player. and you swerved the van nistelrooy bit as well , who is connolly learning off currently ..? muzz would have been worth keeping , wellbeck is a flop in my opinion. waste of money.

rooney like geriatrics too ....:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here