Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone fancy a game of Mornington Crescent?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Is there a new game about to start, as I've never got involved in Mornington Crescent before, but having read this thread in depth, and looked up the associated rules changes that have been referred to, I feel ready to offer up my Mornington Crescent cherry.

Let's rock!

OK then. Feeling brave? Make an opening move.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Excellent. We have to rise above the petty squabbling. Who can forget the furore brought about by the Jubilee/DLR conflict that rendered the use of the Tower Hill/Tower Gateway manouevre completely obsolete.

I'm all for a fresh start and without wishing to be too bold about things, can I suggest a slightly reserved opener of Lancaster Gate

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'm all for a fresh start and without wishing to be too bold about things, can I suggest a slightly reserved opener of Lancaster Gate

Cautiously going for a nervy, change at Oxford St for the Bakerloo Line and heading down to Elephant and Castle.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lordy, another game already. And an opening gambit of Lancaster Gate sets an interesting slant on proceedings from the off. I think I see where you're headed with that one already Hiney, and I for one am not falling for it again. You had me tied up in knots in that dreadful Temple/Embankment Circle Line fiasco of 2007 which amost single-handedly brought about the complete downfall of the entire eastern section of Zone 2 for everyone.

With that in mind, I'm steering well clear. I'm going SILVER and I'm going CANONS PARK.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
With that in mind, I'm steering well clear. I'm going SILVER and I'm going CANONS PARK.

Beaten to the punch I'm afraid Easy. Under the ruling made by the Harrington-Smythe committee is Strasburg, 2008, all disputed moves, due to concurrent posts favour Brown over Silver. It stands at Elephant and Castle, I believe.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Cautiously going for a nervy, change at Oxford St for the Bakerloo Line and heading down to Elephant and Castle.

Never played before ? sure... with that opening gambit.
A Mornington Crescent hustler. Scrag him boys.

gnjd_85

May 19, 2009
a lucky escape, with Canons Park I would have been backed into a pretty unpleasant corner early on,

but as it stands at Elephant and Castle, a fairly straightforward pivot north to Angel.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I feel obliged to play safe after my faux pas this morning, and will therefore opt for a straightforward twist to Hainault.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
a lucky escape, with Canons Park I would have been backed into a pretty unpleasant corner early on,

but as it stands at Elephant and Castle, a fairly straightforward pivot north to Angel.

Is that possible when 2 games are played on the same day ? Thats not allowed surely ?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Don't forget the Lizard Amendment (2010). He's fine with that I think.

Pretty safe there Frutos and I will follow that with an equally conservative Snaresbrook

In response to which I feel sure that an inverse leap to Baron's Court would be logical (as it's the 11th of the month).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Beaten to the punch I'm afraid Easy. Under the ruling made by the Harrington-Smythe committee is Strasburg, 2008, all disputed moves, due to concurrent posts favour Brown over Silver. It stands at Elephant and Castle, I believe.

You just worry about YOUR moves Mr Gritt, never mind what I'm up to. The Strasbourg ruling has no bearing on my opening selection as well you should know.

Your Elephant and Castle gambit, whilst bold for a newbie, could prove costly in the long run, as due to the Fosbury-Ellington ruling of 1988 (later ratified by the Starke committee no less), you are now expelled from all stations between Aldgate and Farringdon (unless you have a copy of the June 2002 edition of Exchange and Mart in your glovebox right now, which I doubt). Brush that off lightly at THIS moment you may, but later in the game when you may want to perform a semi-reverse coilslip parry by invoking your Bakerloo Cornish Caper, you won't be able to will you.

And THEN who'll be laughing ?

Oh. And I'm slipping through to Kentish Town WEST now. Maverick ? Perhaps, but then my middle name is Danger.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
They`re making a mockery of what was once a very fine game Simster.
I`m out of here.

P.S. South Ruislip.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The Strasbourg ruling has no bearing on my opening selection as well you should know.

Excellent spot, sir. I thought you would miss the non-Leap Year clause in that ruling, but no, I can see I'm underestimating the level of play on here.

Note to self: must up my game to compete on here.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Well this is a very poor opening to a game I can only recommend sending everyone back to remedial class and am therefore resurrecting the McClusky clause and sending everyone to Grange Hill.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Well this is a very poor opening to a game I can only recommend sending everyone back to remedial class and am therefore resurrecting the McClusky clause and sending everyone to Grange Hill.

Ha ha "adjacent", see Hainhault, giving me a free transfer to Ladbroke Grove.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here