Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone fancy a game of Mornington Crescent?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Cah ! I thought I was going to take that with a plan to nip in sneakily via Bayswater, however, credit where it's due, played a good game, well done.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I saw some fans sneaking out after the early exchanges, I bet they are kicking themselves now (like those Newcastle fans last week). It's turned into a STORMING match and I have even heard some pundits using the phrase "best ever", I'm not sure I agree to that extent (the great double comeback of '97 anyone?!) but I would certainly put it in the top 10.

Certainly top 10 but best ever - not for me i'm afraid.

Does anyone remember the 'Millenium Classic' encounter from 2004. I seem to remember TLO won that as well, with his superbly timed 'lower left-hand corner to Pimlico' gambit.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I go to the Doctors and come back and look at the mess that has been caused! A flurry of activity at around 1000 to 1100 and Trumpington got played with Chalk Farm, then TLO came in before those still at the platform had a chance to comprehend what was happening and BOOM!!! He wins it there and then....well played TLO.

I am never going out during a game again, i honestly thought i was in with a shout. I am sad now.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Certainly top 10 but best ever - not for me i'm afraid.

Does anyone remember the 'Millenium Classic' encounter from 2004. I seem to remember TLO won that as well, with his superbly timed 'lower left-hand corner to Pimlico' gambit.

That one was 'classic' for its ferocity.

Today was waiting, waiting, waiting for the first slip - the long game. The 'Trumpington Goal-Hanger' I heard someone call it. There were some nifty moves in this game and a couple of blinds that were quite cute. Easy 10's Dutch reverse - brilliantly done, and nicely countered.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hang on a second there chaps. Am I going mad but hasn't TLO fallen foul of the Pall Mall inflexion, clause 4(b)?

If so, you simply can't just pile in with Mornington Crescent - if only it that were easy.

I don't have time to think up an appropriate move right now, but I do believe it is still very much a case of GAME ON.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Bollocks - i was thinking of going Aldgate East, Putney Bridge, Kilburn Park, backing round to Old Street (albeit no weekend services), looping to Kingsbury, West Ruislip, Uxbridge, Goldhawk Road, Mornington Crescent - but everyone got in first. I was too busy checking up the 1928 Grand Master tournament when R G Chuffington-Carruthers played a reverse-slalom-triple-salko-over/under-bungee-gambit, but that doesn't seem to work these days as the Docklands Light Railway gets in the way.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Hang on a second there chaps. Am I going mad but hasn't TLO fallen foul of the Pall Mall inflexion, clause 4(b)?

If so, you simply can't just pile in with Mornington Crescent - if only it that were easy.

I don't have time to think up an appropriate move right now, but I do believe it is still very much a case of GAME ON.

I'm pretty sure someone would have challenged by now if it fell foul of the rules - I'm afriad Easy has this one fair and sqaure.

Well played all. I had a lot of fune with the early encounters, but alas couldn't be around for the conclusion. Probably for the best as it got pretty heated out there, with some of the finest play I've ever witnessed. I don't want to praise Easy too much, but I've just read back the thread, and does anyone get the impression he had planned the final moves from an early stage? Fine work sir.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I think you are forgetting the rule changes in last years Mornington Crescent Universal Network Treaty 2010 (MCUNT10) , clause 4(b) was considered illegal and any such action to invoke it would result in a 2 year ban (1 year suspended). You're lucky you are just mentioning it rather than trying to play it.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I'm actually not sure on this. I know the Pall Mall inflexion (PMI) was designed to stop the use of Mornington Crescent in a cavalier manner but isn't there a time limit on invoking it?

I only say this because I have a feeling that in a similar situation at the European Championships, didn't someone manage to overrule the PMI by the (rather subtle) use of Theydon Bois, thereby opening up the Epping Spur.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Badger is right, give it up Bozza.

Personally I'm just going to hold on until next month and wait for the next Frutos f*** up which is bound to happen, because you just know he'll have forgotten the 43k) directive issued with respect to the use of Markmans Swiggle at a time when Blackfriars is closed, which is currently the case.

And remember, next month is March and we'll be in an odd year. *taps nose*

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Yes. You are going mad.
No. I haven't. It's FRIDAY, remember?

Though there may be an investigation into Far East (beyond Upminster at least) betting syndicates who predicted the supposed schoolboy error of Frutos naming Chalk Farm.

I, of course, deny any involvement in this.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This has all gone the same way as pub pool rules - a steady and continual degradation of some of the finer nuances over time that make the whole thing a bit of a lottery.

TLO can claim the victory if he wants. I'd personally have more pride than that.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This has all gone the same way as pub pool rules - a steady and continual degradation of some of the finer nuances over time that make the whole thing a bit of a lottery.

TLO can claim the victory if he wants. I'd personally have more pride than that.

A lot of the changes are for the better, remember the days of the cross zoning riots back in the 80s? When there was a complete W12 ban from 93-96? Those sorts of things aren't going to happen with the modern game. I agree some of the changes have gone a little bit too far (no more shepherds bushing WTF?) but they are sacrifices we have had to make.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
We can always play again, can't we? We are after all playing with the Wimbledon Common Variables. It's not an official International ruleset, so two games per week can be played. Or did I miss something?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
As some one who follows the game avidly when played on here but would only join if the Tudor Court variation was played I`d have to say Bozza is behaving like a spoilt child.
Ok it wasn`t like the Hanger Lane completion move of a couple of years ago but I still think it was finished well.

Amahwrang

I usually am
Feb 2, 2011
Glasgow
Well had to walk all the way from colliers I get back just in time for TLO to take the game with classic manouvre and I know a challange now would be childish but......... ARE CAPITALS ALLOWED I hate to harp back to previous rule challenges but CAPS ON is defo only for internet version, but in this case I can forgive a sticky caps lock Key and give my full praise to you SIR WELL DONE TLO!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
the next Frutos f*** up which is bound to happen, because you just know he'll have forgotten the 43k) directive issued with respect to the use of Markmans Swiggle at a time when Blackfriars is closed, which is currently the case.

I may have made one mistake today, but I'm not so much of an amateur that I'm not aware of that. Just a bad day at the office, that's all.

As go TLOs comments regarding betting syndicates, I will be in a position to provide a fuller answer when I've returned from spending the contents of the brown envelope I received this morning.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I may have made one mistake today, but I'm not so much of an amateur that I'm not aware of that. Just a bad day at the office, that's all.

As go TLOs comments regarding betting syndicates, I will be in a position to provide a fuller answer when I've returned from spending the contents of the brown envelope I received this morning.

I hope the rumours are just that. THe cricket scandal was one thing but if corruption seeps into the Mornington Crescent World then it really is time to start questioning whether anything is sacred anymore.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Is there a new game about to start, as I've never got involved in Mornington Crescent before, but having read this thread in depth, and looked up the associated rules changes that have been referred to, I feel ready to offer up my Mornington Crescent cherry.

Let's rock!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here