Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else have issues with the food at half time

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I've had a pie and a pint or two of harveys before every game (both chicken and steak) and a pint afterwards without ever having to queue more than 5 mins. But Halftime - Why not just start pouring beers at the mini? bars 20 mins before and then just dish them out quickly. I am quite happy to get a pint of Harveys that's been poured for 10 mins and i can't believe that those strange people who drink fizzy drinks feel that differently.

I think having seperate queues for Food, Harveys and Lager (weirdos !) is the way ahead !

And although i've never suffered, NO PIES, NO HARVEYS etc signs would be good while we have teething problems

Last edited:

TryingToServe

Oct 16, 2011
Brighton
Thought I'd try and explain a few issues to you all. I'm a Team Leader in one of the kiosks at The AMEX (shan't mention which one, I need this job) and I understand all of the issues you've had with quality of service and the like.

First up, in the past we've relied on a large number (at least 50%) of our staff being from various agencies around the country. A lot of these staff didn't speak English very well, were lazy, and frankly didn't give a sh*t about the job. As of yesterday, we stopped using agency staff, and have hired a huge number of students from Uni of Sussex, Uni of Brighton and City College. They all have a bit more intelligence about them and have some sense of importance about keeping their jobs. In general, they are miles better. It was the first day on the job for many of them yesterday, and they were better than the other staff already. As they get used to the job more, their service will only improve. If you combine this with the fact that we actually had on average 2 or 3 extra members of staff per kiosk, you my have noticed that queuing time was improved drastically yesterday. However, I agree with you all that it still needs to improve, and I can promise that it will over the course of the season.

Secondly, in terms of stock and numbers of pies and these kind of issues, again this is something that will take time. we are hoping to have stock levels down to a T within the next two matches and are working very hard on this. All team leaders are now trained on maintenance of beer taps and gas, and are generally getting a better idea about how much stock we'll need during the course of a match.

I'd like to finish up by saying that we recently consulted management at Arsenal's Emirates Stadium. They told BHAFC that it took them 3 YEARS to get customer service etc. up to an acceptable level. When visiting The AMEX they were impressed by how far we've come in the space of just a few months. Speaking for my team and the other teams around the stadium, I just want to apologise for these teething issues we're having. I can guarantee personally that you'll see amazing improvements over the coming matches and by the end of the season. Thank you very much to all of the customers who are understanding and polite when these issues come up. We can only do our best with what we have.

why do people "need" to buy food at a footy stadium?

a) its only a couple of hours of your life.
b) its cheaper to buy something elsewhere before.
c) hot dogs, burgers, crisps, coke, are all shit and better off not eating anyway.

people queue for this shit? then moan at the queues? and actually miss parts of the game? very weird behaviour.

Shut up you prat, the idea of spending a £100m on a stadium is that at some point it pays for itself or have you not grasped that???? It's all about the experience, people are pissed off because they are not geting what was promised!!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Thought I'd try and explain a few issues to you all. I'm a Team Leader in one of the kiosks at The AMEX (shan't mention which one, I need this job) and I understand all of the issues you've had with quality of service and the like.

First up, in the past we've relied on a large number (at least 50%) of our staff being from various agencies around the country. A lot of these staff didn't speak English very well, were lazy, and frankly didn't give a sh*t about the job. As of yesterday, we stopped using agency staff, and have hired a huge number of students from Uni of Sussex, Uni of Brighton and City College. They all have a bit more intelligence about them and have some sense of importance about keeping their jobs. In general, they are miles better. It was the first day on the job for many of them yesterday, and they were better than the other staff already. As they get used to the job more, their service will only improve. If you combine this with the fact that we actually had on average 2 or 3 extra members of staff per kiosk, you my have noticed that queuing time was improved drastically yesterday. However, I agree with you all that it still needs to improve, and I can promise that it will over the course of the season.

Secondly, in terms of stock and numbers of pies and these kind of issues, again this is something that will take time. we are hoping to have stock levels down to a T within the next two matches and are working very hard on this. All team leaders are now trained on maintenance of beer taps and gas, and are generally getting a better idea about how much stock we'll need during the course of a match.

I'd like to finish up by saying that we recently consulted management at Arsenal's Emirates Stadium. They told BHAFC that it took them 3 YEARS to get customer service etc. up to an acceptable level. When visiting The AMEX they were impressed by how far we've come in the space of just a few months. Speaking for my team and the other teams around the stadium, I just want to apologise for these teething issues we're having. I can guarantee personally that you'll see amazing improvements over the coming matches and by the end of the season. Thank you very much to all of the customers who are understanding and polite when these issues come up. We can only do our best with what we have.

In one post "TryingToServe" has offered more insight into the issues, a greater understanding of customer service and a genuine desire to address the issues raised than all other Stadium Management put together.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

That is the first positive statement so far on this issue and by actually employing students as opposed to lazy agency staff is a great step in the right direction.

I suspect given a game or two things will soon improve drastically.

kip

Aug 2, 2011
That is the first positive statement so far on this issue and by actually employing students as opposed to lazy agency staff is a great step in the right direction.

I suspect given a game or two things will soon improve drastically.
Yeah well we will wait and see

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It was MUCH better yesterday. Normally not much point trying to get served 30 mins before KO but only about 5 min wait in WSU before game and reckon I could have bought food/drink at half time if wanted to.

Staff pretty pleasent too, considering they have little time to 'be nice' so well done to the students!

Hat off to you fella.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Letting the catering contract to one company was a big mistake IMHO, there is no competition and Azure have not in anyway hit the ground running.

The fact that they have only just trained key personnel is quite frankly a joke. This company is meant to have experience in stadium catering and should have at least have staff training etc done well in advance of opening. The process and systems at Azure must be shite.

IMHO catering should have been awarded to local companies who recognise the significance of Falmer and would have employed local staff from the outset. Also with different caterers spread around the stadium they could offer different food which would negate the stocking problems involved when trying to stock all outlets with the same food types from the same suppliers.

Which ever way you look at it Azure have f**ked up, hospitality food is certinaly not fine dining as sold.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Well done on a great and well-written post. If most of your team share your attitude, things will surely improve sooner rather than later...

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The fact that they have only just trained key personnel is quite frankly a joke. This company is meant to have experience in stadium catering and should have at least have staff training etc done well in advance of opening. The process and systems at Azure must be shite.

Which ever way you look at it Azure have f**ked up, hospitality food is certinaly not fine dining as sold.

Exactly. Quite why we're applauding a guy for explaining that basically they employed a load of sh*t staff with no interest and gave them no training is beyond me. And now they have used their thorough recruitment process at the Uni. Heard from a student about this the other week - apparently, no interviews - they took anyone interested. And now the students are going to 'get used to the job'. In other words, they're learning as they go along too.

As for the fine dining in 1901.... poor beyond belief at the prices they charge. Hopefully we will see an 'amazing improvement' in there because it's been a joke so far.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
INormally not much point trying to get served 30 mins before KO but only about 5 min wait in WSU before game and reckon I could have bought food/drink at half time if wanted to.

!

I queued from about a minute before half time to about three minutes before ko and just about got our pints (no cider) and no pies left.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I didn't have any food on Saturday but I did arrive in the WSU concourse 30 minutes before kick-off to be greeted by NO QUEUE at the Harveys stall. What kind of tin-pot catering is this? Queueing is an important part of my match day experience so I made sure I stood there for 30 seconds before placing my order just to make a point. ABSOLUTE DISGRACE.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
IMHO catering should have been awarded to local companies who recognise the significance of Falmer and would have employed local staff from the outset. Also with different caterers spread around the stadium they could offer different food which would negate the stocking problems involved when trying to stock all outlets with the same food types from the same suppliers.

Hmmmm ...... biggest place to to hire part time staff locally ? the universities. Season start ? Early August. Uni start ? Late September / early October. Personally I can see the issue they had getting local staff. Remember at Withdean even the Albion had to bring in agency stewards because not enough locals wanted the jobs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here