Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any provision for extra seats?????.....

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Well i'm sure that 8 carriage trains have stopped at lewes before if memory serves me right..its certainly big enuff

SpidersLegs

Feb 2, 2007
Here & there
If your talking about football specials like we run to preston park, and used to run to Hove on match days then as Lord B rightly points out with 5 trains an hour running each way on that line allready it's finding the pathways for them. It's not too bad going from Brighton to Falmer it's coming back the other way after the game because the signalling system we've got allows us to run more trains per hour to Falmer than we can bring back, It's daft but thats how it is.
Reinstate the Falmer ground frame & put an extra stop signal in between Falmer and London Road. I think all the wiring is still in place for the ground frame so shouldn't be much of a problem.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Reinstate the Falmer ground frame & put an extra stop signal in between Falmer and London Road. I think all the wiring is still in place for the ground frame so shouldn't be much of a problem.

Simple to you and me but this is Network Rail we're talking about here, They have a fond habit of turning simple into difficult.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
... is the correct answer.

And for those that don't drink, or have better things to do after a game ?
What a stupid responce.
One minute you say you had a responsibe job at ESCC and then you make a comment like that,

Also the train company stated in a letter they were "confident" and you refered this has then say there would be no promlem :lol:
Bit of a diffrence

The "correct answer" is for the football club to plan a sensible post-match crowd dispersal strategy.

Part of this may well involve incentives to encourage a proportion of supporters to delay their departure.

What's wrong with that?

It's basic transport planning. Part of the professional expertise that I like to think I brought to my responsible job for a local authority.

Interestingly enough, UEFA have regulations about crowd dispersal strategies:-

http://www.tff.org/Resources/TFF/Documents/stadyumguvenlik/K3.pdf

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Not cheap, but if you created an additional bay platform on the Stadium side of Falmer station, that could take 8 car trains, then this could be ready empty for fans at the end of a game. This would help considerably to separate fans from regular rail passengers whether using Falmer station or on through trains. You would need a crossover to reach it from the eastbound line of course and an additional signal between Falmer and Brighton to increase line capacity. Prior to this, It would also make sense to 'encourage' fans from Wivelsfield, HH and further north to travel via Lewes rather than via Brighton.
PG

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Platform 2 at Falmer 4:50pm 6th September 2011 following the Blackburn game, most punters having managed to resist the attraction of spending a 'happy hour' at the Zeke Rowe Bar in the bowels of the main Falmer stand.

y1pdhTavzp7PNvAQhUFUPoNy2K_SXazKVrXTKtXSeu18VUaUZWxY0nQrTHgRgsrrJFGSmu1cAMHQZ4

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
In our first season in the top flight 1979/80 we only had a gate exceeding 30,000 for one gamev Spurs. The opening fixture against Arsenal only attracted 28,604 and beating Palace 3-0 was in front of just 28,315. Five home games attracted less than 22,000. At todays prices I can't see many 30,000 crowds unless we were seriously challenging for Europe, and how likely is that?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Platform 2 at Falmer 4:50pm 6th September 2011 following the Blackburn game, most punters having managed to resist the attraction of spending a 'happy hour' at the Zeke Rowe Bar in the bowels of the main Falmer stand.

y1pdhTavzp7PNvAQhUFUPoNy2K_SXazKVrXTKtXSeu18VUaUZWxY0nQrTHgRgsrrJFGSmu1cAMHQZ4

This would also mean tannoy announcements , to help passengers know which platform to stand on.
"Platform 2.... for the non stopping service.... to Brighton.";)

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Haha, 2 years before the thing opens and it already sounds like access is going to be a f***ing shambles - we can't drive to the ground, and now it would appear that train is only an option if you're prepared to go home at 7pm on a Saturday. God knows how you're supposed to get back midweek.

Crowds of 8000 to continue long into the future:clap:

Haha, 2 years before the thing opens and it already sounds like access is going to be a f***ing shambles - we can't drive to the ground, and now it would appear that train is only an option if you're prepared to go home at 7pm on a Saturday. God knows how you're supposed to get back midweek.

Crowds of 8000 to continue long into the future:clap:
I'll reward you with one of my "good griefs".

"Train is only an option if you're prepared to go home at 7pm on a Saturday".

What about the trains that run before 7pm? Will they be EMPTY?

The Club is not expecting everyone to travel by train, just a proportion of spectators - 14 per cent, if I recall the evidence presented at the Inquiry. It will help if SOME of these delay their departure after the game.

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
They are supposed to be phasing that arrangement out. And they are certainly not allowed to introduce it on new services.

Like at Portslade in the mornings? The doors on the back five carriages never open on the Up side because the Down Platform only has capacity for sebven carriages!

They have supposed to be phasing that anomally out for the last three years since the introduction of the Electrostars.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
The problem you've got is the length of signal sections, Going from Brighton to Falmer the section is broken up by a signal at London Road but coming back there's no stop signal between Falmer & Brighton and for a stopping service it's a 9 minute section. I cant see southern altering the timetable for they're regular booked services but without doing it there's no pathways left to introduce football specials. The whole problem could be solved by introducing a new stop signal between Moulscoombe and London Road to shorten the section. The problem we're going to get on match days at Falmer will be like the problems you get on Lewes bonfire night, It wont be so bad getting there because people stagger they're times they go but coming back your going to have thousands of people queing up at the station all trying to get home at the same time and a very slow train service to get them there.

BB, is right. Once a train has left the signal on the viaduct outside Bton, then a train can leave Falmer. Of course, if NR were to replace the crossover at FALMER, and, as BB states, stick another section signal in, then it would be possible.
BTW, we did run 8 cars to Lewes, when engineering works forced a divert via 'The Keymer'. And these carried punters.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Haha, 2 years before the thing opens and it already sounds like access is going to be a f***ing shambles - we can't drive to the ground,

Of course you'll be able to drive to the ground, but you probably knew that and was just trying to make the club sound stupid as per usual.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We're going to need more car parking spaces. There's that big field the other side of the Woodingdean road towards Lewes, we could easily put a HUGE car park there. It would be like Alton Towers!

It could also be part of the City's Park and Ride scheme for traffic coming from the east. (Not that Brighton HAS a Park and Ride scheme, but we live in hope).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I do remember the Bamber era, but don't remember regular crowds in excess of 30,000

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
I'm sure any potential future stadium expansion would be decided upon by taking into account a whole number of different factors much as the stadium itself was. I'm pretty certain it won't be decided by a single issue such as how many bleeding train carriages Lewes station can accomodate!

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
I know for a fact the capacity can be raised to above 30K, I met the architect at the official Falmer 'kick off' day last year (was lucky in the fans lottery). Spoke to him at length about the delays etc.. He said when its finished its going to be stunning, the redesign was partly to do with changes in legislation with regards to the disabled section and caused him no end of grief.

Knight, Perry etc cound'nt openly say the capacity can be increased in fear of upsetting the 'anti' mob again. But from what he said ALL the tiers can be raised if needed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here