Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any provision for extra seats?????.....

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I might well get my bike out, I could do with some excercise.

They'll be putting extra buses on for Falmer, anyway. Not just for the proposed new park and ride at Brighton racecourse, but for the main bus routes along the Lewes Road.

The debate we are having today is about how we'd cope with an extra 8,000 or so seats on top of what is already planned.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If the capacity was increased to 30,000 it would need B&H buses to lay on another 60 buses in addition to what was already in place , 2 or 3 more Park & Ride locations , alterations to the railway infratructure , more taxis/private hire vehicles available etc etc etc.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
.Is there any provision to extend falmer to 30,000????Remember the Bamber era excess off 30,000 at goldstone on a regular basis!!!!!!!....

It's a bit of a myth that we were attracting over 30,000 on a regular basis in the late 70's, If you look back at the crowd figure's during that era we only managed to hit the 30,000 mark on 9 occasions during a 4 year spell from the 1975/76 season to the 1978/9 season. It was still a great time to be a supporter though and I'd love to see us do it all again.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Where there is a political will, there is usually a way - I'm sure we could get permission for a few thousand more seats if we needed them. In reality though, 22,000 is going to be more than enough for the vast majority of games, I suspect, even if we made it to the prem.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Simple really.

You add a crossover at Falmer.

Put on one or two extra trains from Brighton (4 coach, 6 coach, whatever) non-stop to Falmer.

On reaching Falmer they offload passengers, cross to the westbound line, reverse back to Brighton.

Same thing in reverse for the way home.

Surely can't be a problem fitting that in between a four trains an hour service to Lewes.

I used to have a train set so I know how these things can be done!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It's gonna be meltdown if this picture of the 2:36 Brighton to Falmer train taken from BHA's home match against Wigan, 20th September 2011 is anything to go by!

packed_train.jpg

The road route to Falmer is going to look something like this (Douglas Deep and I third and twentieth from the back respectively)

BeijingBicycles.jpg

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Simple really.

You add a crossover at Falmer.

Put on one or two extra trains from Brighton (4 coach, 6 coach, whatever) non-stop to Falmer.

On reaching Falmer they offload passengers, cross to the westbound line, reverse back to Brighton.

Same thing in reverse for the way home.

Surely can't be a problem fitting that in between a four trains an hour service to Lewes.

I used to have a train set so I know how these things can be done!

There used to be one there but they took it out, Even if they put it back though they'd still need to put an extra signal in to be able to start passenger trains back from there so if you add the cost of that to the cost of changing all the interlocking and diagrammes in the signal box it starts running up a rather large bill.

The train operating companies could put on extra trains if they really wanted too and they did'nt mind altering the times of the regular services through there because they do it every year for the Lewes bonfire night, The difference is though that Lewes bonfire only happens once a year and they make a lot of revenue from it where as the football will be fortnightly and they wont make anything extra because of the travel voucher scheme. Time will tell I guess.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What has happened to station platforms then because I am sure that during my younger days I remember that virtually every train going to Brighton or Portsmouth from Worthing had 8 carriages and those gloing to London had about 12 or am I wrong. 4 carriages was only used for little local trains like Brighton stopper to West Worthing which stopped at every halt etc.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It's gonna be meltdown if this picture of the 2:36 Brighton to Falmer train taken from BHA's home match against Wigan, 20th September 2011 is anything to go by!

packed_train.jpg

I think you'll find that the picture was taken on the 6th Sept. 2011 when we played Blackburn because their fans like taking the train like this :laugh:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It will take a little while, and there will be many who moan, but soon getting to & from games will calm down. Remember, few other grounds have a station so close, indeed many grounds are some miles away from their nearest station.

Falmer is well served with buses and close to the A27, with strategic P&R sites, maybe at the Race Hill, B'ton Marina, Crowhurst Rd and Corals Dog track (tied in with discounts for race meetings) and there would be many alternatives routes to choose from.

Also, at a modern stadium with all the facilities, fans would have more reason to arrive early and stay later. We are used to everything closing after half time but many would avoid the initial crush at the end for a beer/food and to watch the results come in and maybe stay for a televised match.

What i like is that this area is well served with public transport late into the night, indeed all night as far as the night bus goes.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here