Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any provision for extra seats?????.....

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
There will definitely be secure cycle parking at Falmer. There'll even be new facilities for cyclists to cross the A270 safely from the existing Brighton - Falmer cycle track to the other side of the road. This is part of the new flyover near Southern Water's HQ that SEEDA money is being spent on.

Thanks, LB. Perhaps there should be a Pedalling to the Premiership campaign, which would help solve the transport problem? Judging by many Albion fans' refuelling habits, I am not the only one in need of the exercise!

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
So basically for us to increase Falmer we need to spend loads of money increase the train network. So all in all it ain't going to happen.

How ?

What about beefing up the park and ride facilities instead ?

Surely an enhanced combination of P+R, trains, buses, parking, etc, etc, could sustain 30,000 crowds.

Other clubs support that level of capacity by providing a lot less infrastructure than we seem already to have done.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
So basically for us to increase Falmer we need to spend loads of money increase the train network. So all in all it ain't going to happen.

You could be right there. One thing I was wondering is where do the lion share of Brighton fans live? I don't live in the area but i always assumed that alot of Brighton fans come from moulscoomb or trhe surrounding area??? In which case would many of these people walk to the ground?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Increasing the capacity of the railway isn't just a matter of building longer platforms at Falmer. To allow eight coach trains to run on that stretch of line means having the capacity at Brighton, London Road, Moulsecoomb, Falmer and Lewes to take eight coach trains.

The track layout at Lewes makes that impossible.

Apologies if this a stupid question, but what about if eight carriage trains were provided direct between Brighton station and Falmer? Would that be possible?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lewes is still a major interchange - but it definitely doesn't have the capacity for longer trains on the Brighton line.

When I was still working for ESCC - at the time the Albion submitted the first version of the planning application for the Falmer stadium - it was part of my job to comment on the public transport aspects of planning applications. It was obvious then that unrealistic expectations were being made about the ability of the railway to deliver greater capacity to serve a new stadium.

Fortunately, the Albion's planning application was accompanied by a letter from Connex SouthCentral that said "We are confident that we can provide the capacity needed for a 22,000 seater stadium at Falmer".

That let me off the hook. I could keep the ESCC comment to a simple statement to the effect that "the train operator says there isn't going to be a problem".

Throughout the series of public inquiries, I remained AMAZED that the NIMBYs didn't challenge this part of the application. Too late now, of course.

Oh well :lol:

johnnyrocketpants

Mar 7, 2009
are both the ends the same size???not that im moaning in any way,but the ends do seem quite shallow,,,,will there be a home end so to speak,it will be so good to have a proper atmosphere again,,,i

Both ends are HIGHER than the highest bit of the South Stand at Withdean.
E.G. 20 - 22 rows, I believe.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Apologies if this a stupid question, but what about if eight carriage trains were provided direct between Brighton station and Falmer? Would that be possible?

Not without doubling the length of the platforms.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

If your talking about football specials like we run to preston park, and used to run to Hove on match days then as Lord B rightly points out with 5 trains an hour running each way on that line allready it's finding the pathways for them. It's not too bad going from Brighton to Falmer it's coming back the other way after the game because the signalling system we've got allows us to run more trains per hour to Falmer than we can bring back, It's daft but thats how it is.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If your talking about football specials like we run to preston park, and used to run to Hove on match days then as Lord B rightly points out with 5 trains an hour running each way on that line allready it's finding the pathways for them. It's not too bad going from Brighton to Falmer it's coming back the other way after the game because the signalling system we've got allows us to run more trains per hour to Falmer than we can bring back, It's daft but thats how it is.

Has to be said it certainly does sound daft. We're talking about a single line of track, what, five miles long maybe, with one line going one way and one line going the other way. Seems to me the simplest thing in the world to just run 'em up and down the line in a Brighton - Falmer - Lewes and back again stylee before and after games. Far less of a logistical problem than running the Gatwick Express down to Brighton surely?

johnnyrocketpants

Mar 7, 2009

Then it'll have to be modified a bit, won't it! What took 100 navvies a month to do a hundred years ago, now takes a JCB five minutes.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Has to be said it certainly does sound daft. We're talking about a single line of track, what, five miles long maybe, with one line going one way and one line going the other way. Seems to me the simplest thing in the world to just run 'em up and down the line in a Brighton - Falmer - Lewes and back again stylee before and after games. Far less of a logistical problem than running the Gatwick Express down to Brighton surely?

What about the through trains though?

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick

To be honest, I doubt we would sell out 22,000 in he Prem each week after the novelty has worn off!

Im sure if we added 3/5k to Falmer the current infostructure (sp) could cope??

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I can see this being a problem. How many people can you fit in a four car train? For the same of argument let's say it's 1000. That means at five trains an hour we can only take 5000 people per hour back to Brighton. (Assuming they CAN run five trains an hour). Even assuming a direct 50/50 split with those wanting to go to Lewes it means the railways can only handle 10,000 people an hour. For a capacity crowd you could end up waiting two hours for a train!

I hope most people are planning to get to Falmer by some other method!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Has to be said it certainly does sound daft. We're talking about a single line of track, what, five miles long maybe, with one line going one way and one line going the other way. Seems to me the simplest thing in the world to just run 'em up and down the line in a Brighton - Falmer - Lewes and back again stylee before and after games. Far less of a logistic problem than running the Gatwick Express down to Brighton surely?

The problem you've got is the length of signal sections, Going from Brighton to Falmer the section is broken up by a signal at London Road but coming back there's no stop signal between Falmer & Brighton and for a stopping service it's a 9 minute section. I cant see southern altering the timetable for they're regular booked services but without doing it there's no pathways left to introduce football specials. The whole problem could be solved by introducing a new stop signal between Moulscoombe and London Road to shorten the section. The problem we're going to get on match days at Falmer will be like the problems you get on Lewes bonfire night, It wont be so bad getting there because people stagger they're times they go but coming back your going to have thousands of people queing up at the station all trying to get home at the same time and a very slow train service to get them there.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Then it'll have to be modified a bit, won't it! What took 100 navvies a month to do a hundred years ago, now takes a JCB five minutes.

It could be quite simply it's just a small matter of who's willing to pay the money to do it?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What about the through trains though?

All passengers change at Lewes on matchdays for a couple of hours either side of the game? Not ideal, but far less disruptive than replacement bus services are on engineering weekends.

Actually, speaking of engineering works weekend, won't that be the biggest logistical nightmare of all on the Falmer line on matchdays? Don't see any easy way round that one.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Reckon it would get granted , by the time we'd need this you have to be looking a good 5 + years down the line and by which time everything would of ran like clock work + a few thousand extra seats wont be to much of an issue

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It wont be so bad getting there because people stagger they're times they go but coming back your going to have thousands of people queing up at the station all trying to get home at the same time and a very slow train service to get them there.

Certainly something that is going to require a lot of serious thought over the next two years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here