Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any provision for extra seats?????.....

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Actually, speaking of engineering works weekend, won't that be the biggest logistical nightmare of all on the Falmer line on matchdays? Don't see any easy way round that one.[/QUOTE]

Thats a very good point! Shoud engineering works coincide with a sell out crowd there would be a hell of a lot people heading to the ground on foot, it would be like a 4 mile march of thousands of fans. Could be like a mini carnival!!

johnnyrocketpants

Mar 7, 2009
All passengers change at Lewes on matchdays for a couple of hours either side of the game? Not ideal, but far less disruptive than replacement bus services are on engineering weekends.

Actually, speaking of engineering works weekend, won't that be the biggest logistical nightmare of all on the Falmer line on matchdays? Don't see any easy way round that one.

The railways have to adapt themselves to bring in the greatest revenue. If they know there are 20,000 fans willing to pay them money to get home, they will supply the trains to do that. Makes sense, shirley?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You could be right there. One thing I was wondering is where do the lion share of Brighton fans live? I don't live in the area but i always assumed that alot of Brighton fans come from moulscoomb or trhe surrounding area??? In which case would many of these people walk to the ground?

No, most people are oo f***ing lazy I'm afraid! I see the same people waiting at bus stops as I walk to the withdean each week when I'm already halfway there!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I can see this being a problem. How many people can you fit in a four car train? For the same of argument let's say it's 1000. That means at five trains an hour we can only take 5000 people per hour back to Brighton. (Assuming they CAN run five trains an hour). Even assuming a direct 50/50 split with those wanting to go to Lewes it means the railways can only handle 10,000 people an hour. For a capacity crowd you could end up waiting two hours for a train!

I hope most people are planning to get to Falmer by some other method!
don't forget, when we play palace, for example, there'll be 2,500 away fans wanting a train!

johnnyrocketpants

Mar 7, 2009
croydon seagull;29651 Could be like a mini carnival!![/QUOTE said:
Fantastic!!! Mini carnival every week-:clap2::clap::clap2::albion2::clap2::clap::albion2::albion2::albion1::albion1::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::drunk:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
don't forget, when we play palace, for example, there'll be 2,500 away fans wanting a train!

I bet Sussex police can't wait to deal with the droves of away fans coming down for a new stadium and weekend beano! Plus the 9 minute train journey to Brighton could be interesting too.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I'm just praying they dont do a Darlington to us and limit the capacity by half!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
What about double decker trains like they have on the continent. Then we can have segregation as well.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I bet Sussex police can't wait to deal with the droves of away fans coming down for a new stadium and weekend beano! Plus the 9 minute train journey to Brighton could be interesting too.

This is what I'm looking forward to, withdean has made us go soft . When packed on a train with an army of away fans then there will be tension in the air. Should add to the whole match day experience

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The railways have to adapt themselves to bring in the greatest revenue. If they know there are 20,000 fans willing to pay them money to get home, they will supply the trains to do that. Makes sense, shirley?

Dont forget we use a travel voucher scheme where the club pays a set fee to the train operating companies so it wont matter to them because they get they're money anyway.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Im sure Network Rail would have the common sense to make sure there wasnt a clash!

Unfortunately weekend engineering work is planned months in advance so there's a good chance any work will have been planned before the fixture's come out.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Darlingtonns home average is 3-4000 for a 25000 capacity ground. How on earth does this this affect us?

Darlingtons attendance has nothing to with it. Darlington council only gave permmision for a capacity of around 11 thousand, not an issue for them but for us it would be a disaster.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Dont forget we use a travel voucher scheme where the club pays a set fee to the train operating companies so it wont matter to them because they get they're money anyway.
I KNEW that travel voucher was a bad idea! :lolol:

Seriously I do think this problem has, quite rightly, been swept under the carpet all the while we were fighting the planning battle. As Lord B says he was amazed our opponents never challenged it and certainly none of us were going to say anything. If I thought about it at all I'd just blithely assumed that Network Rail or whoever would do the necessary signalling/platform/track changes to enable us to run 8 or 12 car trains as a sort of shuttle almost with the frequency of tube trains. I certainly didn't envisage having to wait an hour or more just to get away from the stadium.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
All passengers change at Lewes on matchdays for a couple of hours either side of the game?

The trains that run on that line are often full on Saturday afternoons, I've had to stand until Lewes after games before. I know you like to make these things sound simple but these passengers have the same rights as ours.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I KNEW that travel voucher was a bad idea! :lolol:

Seriously I do think this problem has, quite rightly, been swept under the carpet all the while we were fighting the planning battle. As Lord B says he was amazed our opponents never challenged it and certainly none of us were going to say anything. If I thought about it at all I'd just blithely assumed that Network Rail or whoever would do the necessary signalling/platform/track changes to enable us to run 8 or 12 car trains as a sort of shuttle almost with the frequency of tube trains. I certainly didn't envisage having to wait an hour or more just to get away from the stadium.

I cant see Network Rail doing anything to help at all tbh, I have tried to highlight some of the coming problems to my top managers when they've visited us and tried to recommend a few changes but unfortunately they seem to opperate a policy where-by if an employee suggests something that might improve things it's dismissed straight away.

Last edited:

The trains that run on that line are often full on Saturday afternoons, I've had to stand until Lewes after games before. I know you like to make these things sound simple but these passengers have the same rights as ours.
Blimey!

Have you read the note I made that could easily have formed the basis of an East Sussex County Council objection to Falmer as a suitable site?

I don't want to dump some of my former colleagues in any deep shit, particularly those I bump into regularly at Withdean, but - with hindsight - it would appear that there were a number of people who didn't do their jobs quite as well as they might have done.

Oh well ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here