Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another UKIP rascist remark

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
no
just wondering if i should use your benchmark and conclude all Rastafarians are racist,supremacist,homophobic,misogynistic nitwits.

If running for government, id question everybody..who uses racist, mysogynistic, homophobic, xenophobic language.
Including nitwits who think they are smart by using the term 'pastafarian' in the rather lame exercise of condemning all religions, by ridiculing one.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
If running for government, id question everybody..who uses racist, mysogynistic, homophobic, xenophobic language.
Including nitwits who think they are smart by using the term 'pastafarian' in the rather lame exercise of condemning all religions, by ridiculing one.

i would say haha
but you have overused that......and its a bit odd.

thanks for the non input though

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Its not making fun of them though is it?
I really like Chinese people and who wouldn't ?
To me its not bloody racist....chinky=Chinese takeway,Its that bloody simple.

Ity=italian takeway:lolol:

I GUARANTEE you wouldn't say it to an Asian.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Brilliant. She made what would be understood as a racist remark in this country, while the lady concerned understood the insult in a completely different way. That must make it ok then.

No. Some people are too precious, and want to look at things said by UKIP in a detrimental way. Ting tong in no way is racist in S.E Asia, it's used in the same way you might call a mate a nutter for being idiotic but funny.

No offence mate, but there are far more important things going on around you if you can be arsed to open your eyes.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's funny, I know some Sri Lankans that run restaurants , they get called all sorts by the likes of some on this board, all passed off as jolly British humour. The guys smile and nod and welcome them. They hate you, they make you feel like you're back in The Raj for a couple of drunken hours on Saturday night safe in the knowledge your money is going straight into their till. 3 of them were Tamil Tigers, they can poke up with your crap for an hour or so. BUT, and here's the thing, they may not be offended but they do think you are bunch of pricks.

My sister in law is Chinese, shed floor anyone that called her Chinky. It's not taking offence it's putting you in your place.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Its not ignorant...I love the way that people presume that saying"going to a paki shop"is racist.Its not actually racist as its short for "Pakistani shop"facks sake.
You're basically calling everyone a racist because they use these common phrases regarding local shops..Its not being ignorant and its not being racist.

You seem like a right ****.

D

Deleted member 22389

It's funny, I know some Sri Lankans that run restaurants , they get called all sorts by the likes of some on this board, all passed off as jolly British humour. The guys smile and nod and welcome them. They hate you, they make you feel like you're back in The Raj for a couple of drunken hours on Saturday night safe in the knowledge your money is going straight into their till. 3 of them were Tamil Tigers, they can poke up with your crap for an hour or so. BUT, and here's the thing, they may not be offended but they do think you are bunch of pricks.

My sister in law is Chinese, shed floor anyone that called her Chinky. It's not taking offence it's putting you in your place.

I honestly think it is only a small amount of people who are getting offended here. In the grand scale of things, just like this thread it is being blown completely out or proportion, because in other parts of the world people are being forced to change their religion or face punishment.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We can argue whether or not "ting tong" or "chink" or whatever are racist terms, but the fact is that it is a STUPID thing to say in public if you are seeking election. Why? Because it WILL offend some people. It will offend some (but not all) of the people being targeted by the term, and it will offend some neo-liberals from the rest of the population - some of whom will have good reason to be offended and some of whom do nothing but feel offended on other people's behalf.

So in short, I'm not going to accuse all UKIP members or UKIP supporters of being idiots, because clearly they're not. But they won't get anywhere with the British electorate if party members are using this sort of language, and that's a fact. (Which suits me, as I'm very pro-EU even if it is in dire need of reform)

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I honestly think it is only a small amount of people who are getting offended here. In the grand scale of things, just like this thread it is being blown completely out or proportion, because in other parts of the world people are being forced to change their religion or face death

edited for you

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I honestly think it is only a small amount of people who are getting offended here. In the grand scale of things, just like this thread it is being blown completely out or proportion, because in other parts of the world people are being forced to change their religion or face punishment.

I don't think people are even offended by this it just makes the person saying the casually racist remark look a. It of a knob. When I see people using terms like chinky or paki I just feel embarrassed for them. Cringeworthy.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The only people who seem offended are UKIP supporters, because people are laughing at them, and their party over this LATEST ****up.
Im certainly not offended. Im enjoying watching the squirming, although, its everybody elses fault you know, certainly not the MEP...apparently she
wasnt being offensivet as the term means mad.....you couldnt make it up.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So, the shortened version (non offensive) of other countries (note shortened is normally the first 4 or 5 letters).
So we have Poland, Pole...British, Brit.....even Czechoslovakia, Czech. So the shortened version of Pakistan, Paki.
There would be no problem had not the people from Pakistan been targeted by racists....they were but nothing to do with the actual word, and so the word Paki (which is a shortened version the same as the others listed) suddenly became racist. If the Poles and Czech's had the similar treatment years ago....then these shortened versions would be deemed as "racist"......but they are not, just shortened versions that are accepted without a second thought....until the right ons get involved again eh.

Your examples are complete crap.

A 'Pole' is the correct term for a person of Polish nationality. Its not shortened, or slang - that's the actual term.

And guess what? A 'Czech' is a person of Czech nationality.

Someone from Pakistan, however is a 'Pakistani', rather than a 'Paki'.

Just to clarify further for you (and your fellow exponents of 'accepted common usage') 'Paki' is also not a recognised shortened form of 'Bangladeshi', 'Indian or 'Sri Lankan' either.

It's not a common phrase any more, because most people understand it is not a nice term to use.

It is considered racist because it was appropriated by racists in the 60s, 70s and 80s and so became linked intrinsically with racism and the violence that associated it, and because it was used indiscriminately towards anyone Asian with dark skin, whether they were from Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, or Sri Lanka. Since then society generally came to accept that it will have those racist connotations for some time yet.

The whole 'it's short for Pakistani' argument is probably as ignorant of the history of language (and racism) as the "I don't get upset when people call me white" argument is with derogatory use of the word 'black'

Much better put. Cheers.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
The only people who seem offended are UKIP supporters, because people are laughing at them, and their party over this LATEST ****up.
Im certainly not offended. Im enjoying watching the squirming, although, its everybody elses fault you know.

With respect Dave. This is just another round of UKIP bashing - It is a non story mate. Now if she said paki or such like, now that would be a story. Speaking as someone with business interests in Thailand, I will reiterate - Ting tong is not offensive.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
With respect Dave. This is just another round of UKIP bashing - It is a non story mate. Now if she said paki or such like, now that would be a story. Speaking as someone with business interests in Thailand, I will reiterate - Ting tong is not offensive.

No - you're wrong.

It's only because of your personal knowledge of the far east that you see the alternative connotation.

It's use here, is very much in the same vein as 'paki' and other terms of casual racism.

D

Deleted member 22389

That closes this whole silly argument for me. She didn't say the P word, or the N word. I have never even heard of this word before the silly article mentioned it.
And If it was Racist I would have been told about it years ago.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Most of the people on here that spout casual racism wouldn't dare say it to the persons face. I imagine it's language they use to their equally ignorant and un attractive wives, sitting around watching Saturday telly in their stained tracky bottoms

"Gaz,Gaz, go out and get us a chinky yeah?!"
"nice one, I'll stop at the Paki shop and get some fags"

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

Sorry, are you giving the MEP the excuse that she was not using this phrase in an offensive way, due to her deep understanding of asian culture and language?

We KNOW in asia what it means, as the womans husband...who was offended...has explained its asian meaning...are yoiu really suggesting that this idiot knew that...if so, the context of its use in this case is a little bizarre...and strange she would apologise it without mentioning that little fact.....but we are used to bizarre from UKIP also I guess.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
That closes this whole silly argument for me. She didn't say the P word, or the N word. I have never even heard of this word before the silly article mentioned it.
And If it was Racist I would have been told about it years ago.

Its always UKIP bashing, and not UKIP prats ****ing up, and showing their true personalities.

Its everybody elses fault.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here