Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anger at decision to acquire Mash Barn

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I live very near to Leeds training ground. The locals love it. Its an area that was earmarked for development and instead of a supermarket, a vast housing estate or rubbish dump that Leeds Council was looking for, Leeds United bought the site and turned it from a green field into a green field with white lines on it. It is very quiet, no shopping traffic, no commuting cars and no dumper trucks. Just a few cars each day coming and going for football training.

Incidently, when Leeds got into financial difficulty they sold part of the land and houses were built on it.

So my message to those trying to stop Brightons training facility - be very careful what you wish for.

A letter for the Argus ?

Note the emphasis on owning the site. This makes life a lot simpler. Albion could have bought the whole site years a go for less than half the cost of Macca. They would have recouped the outlay as well.

Same sort of thing really.

Last edited:

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
Some of the comments on that site are a little bizarre. One person is horrified that we intend to build a 'football stadium' there. Another thinks the access road would destroy their 'peace and tranquillity forever' whilst there would be ' Constant noise, traffic and pollution seven days a week, until late in the evening, and no more enjoying the garden on a lazy Sunday.'

It's a shame some residents resort to exaggeration for the sake of their cause.

"Constant noise, traffic and pollution seven days a week, until late in the evening", is what they have now, or it was when I lived there!

The training complex is not a foregone conclusion because although there are no planning grounds that would stand up to appeal, Adur Council now own some of the land and they will not sell it without public support. They will ostensibly make a rational decision on the merits of the case and take the advice of the planners, but there record is not all that good for making rational decisions. Some of their decisions before have been bizarre.
I think you'll find that Adur Council have been VERY supportive of the Club. They will continue to be so. Public support seems to be growing as well - even though the small number of NIMBYs are starting to organise themselves.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think you'll find that Adur Council have been VERY supportive of the Club. They will continue to be so. Public support seems to be growing as well - even though the small number of NIMBYs are starting to organise themselves.

Starting to?

They started to some time ago. And complained to the police about threats to them on NSC.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A letter for the Argus ?

Note the emphasis on owning the site. This makes life a lot simpler. Albion could have bought the whole site years a go for less than half the cost of Macca. They would have recouped the outlay as well.

Same sort of thing really.

The club didn't HAVE £1.5m, years ago.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Before we made this planning application. Marsh Barn Lane was going to become a Golf Course! So basically these NIMBYS know nothing about this land.

I think they probably did. That's why they blocked off the route. Some locals have always cleared a way through though. The Golf Course owners were the ones that bulldozed the trees blocking the route from the north (reliable hearsay). The Golf Course is what is causing the resentment (my view). They are much the private property people who bought the land and now will do anything they can get away with and have blocked off access. And they have not fulfilled their part of the Section 106 agreement as far as I can see. This requires access via Mash Barn Lane from the west through the housing estate. (Subject of this thread.)

This (with the football pitches) was a condition of planning permission for the golf course. Time limit not known. Hopefully, it was meant to be cleared when they have finished all the spoil dumping so the golf course could be implemented and access to the Council land achieved.

Times are a-changing.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
My brother lives a little up the road. A woman came up to him in the street and asked what his opinion was. After he told her that he was all for the idea, she then proceeded to tell him her opinion against it.

I think he told her to f*** off

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My brother lives a little up the road. A woman came up to him in the street and asked what his opinion was. After he told her that he was all for the idea, she then proceeded to tell him her opinion against it.

I think he told her to f*** off

He sounds a right prick.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
As an Albion fan I really want to see this go through as quickly as possible. As an Adur resident I would like to see my council grow a pair and start to get some decent contributions to the local amenities as part of any development approval.

this is not about appeasing a few people who have unilaterally extended their gardens, but about providing local sporting facilities that are open to the local community (these don't have to be on site) I would also like to see a park and ride from the training ground to the stadium, that doesn't involve the tortuous route favoured by the current S bus, but I may be being a little self serving on this one.

Quickly doesn't matter as much to me as getting it right. A Category 1 Academy Premiership style is meant to cost £2 million a year to run with some of it going to the local economy. And I think that is a condition of being accepted as a Category 1 academy.

How much does an underused golf course contribute? How much does the land contribute right now?

The Council may very well formulate plans for the whole area (the new Local Development Framework (LDF) being prepared by the Council, followed by consultation.):
New Development North of The Proposed BHAFC Training Ground | Save Our Gap

This was new to me. The dumping (=golf course) was a warning sign that development was likely. This is surmise. I did not think that Adur Council would actually do anything. This would mean a delay (probably/possibly).

Last edited:

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Another assumption, along with the flooding, eradication of wildlife, 1000 cars a day and back gardens being destroyed through construction lorries.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Starting to?

They started to some time ago. And complained to the police about threats to them on NSC.

Not just to the police but also to the club, the local papers, on the internet and to anyone else prepared to listen. There was even a police presence at the parish council meeting and a number of locals expecting fans to turn up to cause trouble based on these so called threats on here that have never happened. It's a shame these people don't practice what they preach when they talk about wanting the truth and honesty from others like the club and councils etc.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I know someone egos has had some contact with cllr Martin today. It appears he hasn't even read the council report lord b gave a link to earlier. How odd?

Cllr Martin spells government with a capital G throughout his comment in the paper, if he can't get this right he's not going to be a big hitter in 'it' methinks. The irony of having a separate identity for Lancing, Shoreham is incorrect, there is currently CONTINUOUS development from, in the East Widewater Court on the coast at Shoreham Beach, northwards around the end of Widewater to the Royal Coach & flats around it & along both sides of the coast road, houses overlooking Widewater on the south side & permanent static caravan sites, houses, enclosed estates spreading half a mile inland along all along the north side of the road along to Lancing Green where it continues on the north side to Brooklands where Lancing ends.
There is continuous development from Roedean to Brooklands along the coast road (even the river Adur had 50 odd houseboats) & inland from it, there is NO GAP & hasn't been for decades

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I live very near to Leeds training ground. The locals love it. Its an area that was earmarked for development and instead of a supermarket, a vast housing estate or rubbish dump that Leeds Council was looking for, Leeds United bought the site and turned it from a green field into a green field with white lines on it. It is very quiet, no shopping traffic, no commuting cars and no dumper trucks. Just a few cars each day coming and going for football training.

Incidently, when Leeds got into financial difficulty they sold part of the land and houses were built on it.

So my message to those trying to stop Brightons training facility - be very careful what you wish for.

This is aligned with my thoughts on the matter... the case against the training facility seems flimsy at best...

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Cllr Martin spells government with a capital G throughout his comment in the paper, if he can't get this right he's not going to be a big hitter in 'it' methinks. The irony of having a separate identity for Lancing, Shoreham is incorrect, there is currently CONTINUOUS development from, in the East Widewater Court on the coast at Shoreham Beach, northwards around the end of Widewater to the Royal Coach & flats around it & along both sides of the coast road, houses overlooking Widewater on the south side & permanent static caravan sites, houses, enclosed estates spreading half a mile inland along all along the north side of the road along to Lancing Green where it continues on the north side to Brooklands where Lancing ends.
There is continuous development from Roedean to Brooklands along the coast road (even the river Adur had 50 odd houseboats) & inland from it, there is NO GAP & hasn't been for decades

The Strategic Gap theory was ditched because of a planning appeal precedent with a locally based planning consultant (Cox) pointing this out to Adur Council. This is nationally. There is still a presumption of open countryside though.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

No doubt about it. It must be an opening salvo though because the actual plan was not very good. Furthermore the mention of the idea of housing contained in the plan gave ammunition to the opponents. It needs a rethink. Look carefully at the actual plan and make up your own opinions.

Middle Lancing is generally supportive but they will pick on the details. Feedback says the majority of the Lancing people support the plan in principle, worried about housing developments on the land, and they want a planning gain. The planning gain may actually be the Training Complex (in part) but it is not really the Albion they are complaining about but the other developers on private land.

In all there are exciting prospects but if the major landowners get too greedy it will spoil everything. The actual 14 acres is not quite big enough and there is another 100 acres of land.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here