Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anger at decision to acquire Mash Barn

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Gratton

There will be something in the Evening Argus tomorrow (maybe?) about the local objections. They will, of course, exaggerate. That's what happens. Adur Council will have to get their act together. The planners do not have as much power as all that but the Council now own the important bits of land.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
There will be something in the Evening Argus tomorrow (maybe?) about the local objections. They will, of course, exaggerate. That's what happens. Adur Council will have to get their act together. The planners do not have as much power as all that but the Council now own the important bits of land.

There's supposed to be a press release from the mash barn nimby group in today's Argus, It doesn't really say anything you wouldn't expect them to say and just comes across as a bit bitter and twisted that Lancing Parish Council voted in favour of the complex.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Some of the comments on that site are a little bizarre. One person is horrified that we intend to build a 'football stadium' there. Another thinks the access road would destroy their 'peace and tranquillity forever' whilst there would be ' Constant noise, traffic and pollution seven days a week, until late in the evening, and no more enjoying the garden on a lazy Sunday.'

It's a shame some residents resort to exaggeration for the sake of their cause.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Looks like they've got all of the locals to comment at the bottom.... Apparently it's a beauty spot.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
"Having set a precedent of allowing development of the Strategic Gap, the next stage will be a massive development of up to 1,200 house together with retail and industrial units. This next-stage development is mentioned no less than three times throughout the BHAFC planning application."

Well I can't find these three references to the supposed "next-stage development".

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Some of the comments on that site are a little bizarre. One person is horrified that we intend to build a 'football stadium' there. Another thinks the access road would destroy their 'peace and tranquillity forever' whilst there would be ' Constant noise, traffic and pollution seven days a week, until late in the evening, and no more enjoying the garden on a lazy Sunday.'

It's a shame some residents resort to exaggeration for the sake of their cause.

I wouldn't take too much notice of their bullshit. Planners have heard all the bog standard NIMBY crap before. Whether its housing development, a football stadium, nuclear reactor, or a rebuild of the garden of Eden, the NIMBY's will be spouting all kinds of hysterical claptrap.

A major difference to this aplication from others we've submited in the past: We have the district & Parish Council onside. Something we most certainly didn't have with Falmer. Okay, Brighton Council were onside, but we had noisy neighbours from Lewes.

Baring any unexpected hicups & unless I've missed something, this aplication should be straightforward. The Lancing objectors are nowhere near as well connected, nor have the financial clout as the oponents of Withdean & Falmer had.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
There were Lizards on the Goldstone turf

I was not clear what was happening at first. The CPO is just for the access road to protect the arguable "right of way" called Mash Barn Lane and should have occurred whether or not the training complex goes ahead. The local residents have blocked off the lane making it impassable in other places as well.

The training complex is not a foregone conclusion because although there are no planning grounds that would stand up to appeal, Adur Council now own some of the land and they will not sell it without public support. They will ostensibly make a rational decision on the merits of the case and take the advice of the planners, but there record is not all that good for making rational decisions. Some of their decisions before have been bizarre.

Pende was only valid because any developer could have bought the land at farming land prices (very cheap) and used for any sporting or recreation use like Lancing College have done with their land north of the A27. This would have preserved the open space character of the land which would comply with the planning rules.

Most of the wildlife uses the land that is private property, being dumped on for use as a golf course. It is the dumping that is the profitable part and the golf course is just the excuse (arguable). I don't know when the planning permission for the dumping expires? Soon unless the dumpers get an extension. The planners will be under pressure to allow housing on some land nearby.

It is all a mire of conflict and confusion. There is a general view, officially as well as local people, that the area is a deprived area that needs regeneration and the presumption must be jobs and improvement.

Why did the planners allow the golf course? They did not have any option because it was private property and complied with the rules.

I will express my opinion, but I will not get involved because it is a headache. As one of the local people said in an earlier post, "you cannot please everybody all of the time".

The land owned by the Council is ex-arable land (gratton is the old Sussex word for this) that is not now practical for this use, combined with a bit of rough scrub land that is not really accessible for the public at large nowadays because the locals and the golf course have blocked off the access.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
bha-design-access-statement.jpg

News | Save Our Gap

There is no doubt that the Training Complex is not in the ideal place being too near (much too near, unfortunately) the houses. This is the public ex-arable land that the Council acquired as a result of the S.106 agreement. The rest of the land is private property and the whole lot was at first. The other bit is the golf course and the whole area covers about 100 acres.

It is a pity that an arrangement could not be made on the golf course bit allowing some public access. I don't think this is going to happen though. In my view it is the golf course that is the problem. This being England, private property rules. Local planning is not to blame, but national planning might be.

I have spoken to the old owners of the land (New Monks Farm Ltd) and they were quite set on the golf course and unless somebody bought them out (might have done) they would not be amenable to selling their land. They have got fixed ideas on their money making scheme.

I would say unless something goes on behind the scenes, the plan to sell the Council land might be stalled or rejected. Adur Council might support the scheme but the details have to be right. The whole plan seems to be cramped into a small space.

Last edited:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
bha-design-access-statement.jpg

News | Save Our Gap

There is no doubt that the Training Complex is not in the ideal place being too near (much too near, unfortunately) the houses. This is the public ex-arable land that the Council acquired as a result of the S.106 agreement. The rest of the land is private property and the whole lot was at first. The other bit is the golf course and the whole area covers about 100 acres.

It is a pity that an arrangement could not be made on the golf course bit allowing some public access. I don't think this is going to happen though. In my view it is the golf course that is the problem. This being England, private property rules. Local planning is not to blame, but national planning might be.

I have spoken to the old owners of the land (New Monks Farm Ltd) and they were quite set on the golf course and unless somebody bought them out (might have done) they would not be amenable to selling their land. They have got fixed ideas on their money making scheme.

I would say unless something goes on behind the scenes, the plan to sell the Council land might be stalled or rejected. Adur Council might support the scheme but the details have to be right. The whole plan seems to be cramped into a small space.

Where exactly is the golf course land ?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Lancing has been dumped upon

Where exactly is the golf course land ?

Look at the map on this page:

Panoramio - Photo of Culver Road Football Ground - home of Lancing Football Club

You will have to pan to the right on the map to see the open space.

The golf course (=dumping land) is most of the other land with the Albion training complex squeezed into the south-west corner near the houses. This is the best land that the Council owns. Although technically a flood risk, they could sell it off for housing. It is alluvium, good quality land ideal for football pitches.

I think the residents would want to keep as it is. Not for public access because they have blocked it off.

What happens when they have finished dumping the spoil. I don't think (got a second opinion) it is viable as a golf course. That was not the point. The money is made from the dumping and the tax exemptions. Lancing has been dumped upon and the planners could not do anything about it. The rough land to the east has not be used for centuries and was originally reclaimed from the Adur estuary and this is Pende. Lancing has expanded to meet up with what used to be separate settlements.

There have been low level moans for years. But is private property most of the land, previously used as farmland. Private property interests rule in Britain.

Last edited:

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I live very near to Leeds training ground. The locals love it. Its an area that was earmarked for development and instead of a supermarket, a vast housing estate or rubbish dump that Leeds Council was looking for, Leeds United bought the site and turned it from a green field into a green field with white lines on it. It is very quiet, no shopping traffic, no commuting cars and no dumper trucks. Just a few cars each day coming and going for football training.

Incidently, when Leeds got into financial difficulty they sold part of the land and houses were built on it.

So my message to those trying to stop Brightons training facility - be very careful what you wish for.

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
I live very near to Leeds training ground. The locals love it. Its an area that was earmarked for development and instead of a supermarket, a vast housing estate or rubbish dump that Leeds Council was looking for, Leeds United bought the site and turned it from a green field into a green field with white lines on it. It is very quiet, no shopping traffic, no commuting cars and no dumper trucks. Just a few cars each day coming and going for football training.

Incidently, when Leeds got into financial difficulty they sold part of the land and houses were built on it.

So my message to those trying to stop Brightons training facility - be very careful what you wish for.

This. The bit about traffic congestion I just dont understand. I am struggling to think of likely future use of that land which would cause lower traffic density than what is proposed. It is also likely that the traffic associated with the site wouldn't necessarily be using the roads at rush hour knowing training schdules. For instance, a golf course would cause far more daily traffic all daylight hours 7 days a week.

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
I am hugely enjoying the irony of people complaining about the intended legal future use of this land, whilst illegally occupying it with extended gardens.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
NewMonksFarm.jpg

An enlightened view amongst some Lancing residents maybe (a big maybe) would be to abolish the golf course and draw up a Development Plan for the whole area preserving a large area of open space with the onus on Sports and Recreation with public access and an enabling development on the sporting and amenity lines. The Albion initiative would qualify and be ideal (hence the enthusiasm).

The trouble is it is private property and if the owners are not agreeable the whole concept would fall flat on its face. The NIMBYs might still not like it. There are precedents for such developments. Sussex is just a bit behind the times (like 50 years or more).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here