Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anger at decision to acquire Mash Barn

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
"... On to the scene now appears Brighton and Hove football club looking to find a location for a training ground for their players and long term development of their business. They decide that the proposed area already earmarked as playing fields would be ideal for their purposes and with great haste put in a proposal with incentives for acceptance which has Adur Councillors in an election year falling over with anticipation of political success in developing the strategic gap... "

With great haste?

Surely the club has known about this site for years. It had to cough up an unnecessary bucket on money talking about it during the Falmer planning process. It's not as though they've wandered in on it by chance.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
At least the Lib Dems are inviting our comments.

Steve Martin
Monday, March 5, 2012 at 01:47 PM

5th.March 2012. Ever since the Adur District came into being some 40 years ago the local Liberal Democrat Party has fought tooth and nail to preserve the policy of strategic gaps between Shoreham & Lancing and Lancing & Sompting with Worthing. The reasons and arguments for doing so have not changed. The most important of which was to give autonomy to the concerned communities and break up the unremitting coastal sprawl, and to prevent the overdevelopment that has occurred in those unprotected areas. This was achieved by the vigilance and a strategic plan at Adur sympathetic to this philosophy. Around the millennium the balance of power changed at Adur in favour of the Conservatives and Government policy applied pressure to release more land for development. Very quickly brown sites became covered with high density housing for example the old wharfs on Shoreham beach. The . strategic gap covered by the local plan started to be eroded by allowing the construction of a Golf course between the Airport and the Mash Barn in Lancing selling the idea by the developer providing new playing fields for the community on the land next door. The Government then suspended to Local Strategic Plan for revision and to date this has not been completed. In quick succession applications to build vast housing estates in the gap have been proposed. On to the scene now appears Brighton and Hove football club looking to find a location for a training ground for their players and long term development of their business. They decide that the proposed area already earmarked as playing fields would be ideal for their purposes and with great haste put in a proposal with incentives for acceptance which has Adur Councillors in an election year falling over with anticipation of political success in developing the strategic gap. This with some local party support and the backing of the football fans whose numbers in Adur are not inconsiderable. Other than policy the one major problem with the proposal is the current minimal access to the land to be developed. The one access road which will not fall foul of West Sussex County Council roads policy is a cart track unused for some 35 years. This un-adopted road was invaded one morning with contractors working on instructions from Adur Council to clear it to make access possible. There was no consultation with residents and damage was done to several home owners’ property. When the residents complained they were given an insensitive reply by the authorities resulting in an action group forming to find out what exactly was going on. The reporting of this group was reported by your local paper in an insensitive manner resulting in the lunatic fringe concluding that this movement was Anti Brighton and Hove Albion and they in turn over reacted in more than an insensitive manner. We are left now with an opportunistic Conservative Adur Council, some very upset residents on the Mash Barn and Monks Farm estate. A Golf Course owner with nowhere to build his community playing fields, A football club with deadlines to meet, An access problem that has the potential to disrupt local traffic and encourage further development, and still no strategic plan for guidance. To the Liberal Democrats this is not good planning or governance. Our policy has not changed regarding the future of the strategic gaps but we are open to consultation with all residents who have a view on these matters. If as a result changes are required we are open to persuasion with the good of the greater community in mind but to the rights and aspirations of the affected residents in particular. We do believe that a compromise is possible but not perhaps within the current time constrictions. We look forward to your views.

Councillor Steve Martin
Adur Liberal Democrats.

Cllr.martin@btconnect.com

Freepost RSTX-ZKBC-ZSYT
Worthing
BN13 2NG

It seems to me that Councillor Steve Martin has already made his mind up where he stands regardless of his claim to be looking forward to receiving our views...

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The Adur Environment stakeholder group recommended (formal meeting) that the land known as Mash Barn should be allocated for Sports and Recreation as zoned in the redundant Structure Plan (& Local Strategic Plan) and that that attempts to build housing or encroachment of industrial buildings on flood risk land should be resisted. The concept of the Strategic Gap has been virtually abolished by a Planning decision on the Isle of Wight. There is still a presumption against over-development and encroachment in these areas and the new idea that these areas should contain open space (my interpretation). The planning allocation of the categories of farming land has been ignored or abolished.

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If as a result changes are required we are open to persuasion with the good of the greater community in mind but to the rights and aspirations of the affected residents in particular.

I only really picked up on this part... sounds like they are asking for a veiled pay out or 'compensation'.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The Report to the Council Committee meeting that lead to this decision is here:-

http://www.adur.gov.uk/docs/cabinet/joint-strategic/2012/2012-02-28-jsc-report-item-17.pdf

The Right of Way mentioned in the document is on an old map and shows a route from old (closed) Bungalow Town Railway Halt (by the Airport) diagonally across the "golf course" to Lancing Manor (my research). There is a popular support for a strategic link by "right of way" across the land connecting Shoreham to Lancing. There does not seem to be any public rights to the land allocated as playing fields etc. by the planning consent to dump on the land to make a golf course. The land which was farmed (arable) until recently is trangressed by a footpath made by use by the public. This is not a "right of way" though.

Quote: The S106 required the 14 hectares of open space land to be transferred to the District Council upon the grant of planning permission. In addition the S106 required the golf course developer (New Monks Farm Developments Ltd) to construct a two way access road along the length of Mash Barn Lane and to construct the changing rooms, car park and provide the football pitches within 5 years of the date of the grant of planning permission (by October 2010).

My hearsay evidence is that New Monks Developments may have sold the land to another developer ??? Can't remember.

A cyclepath would constitute a planning gain though and may smooth the way for public support. The current plan blocks off public access on private property (although this may actually be public property after the golf course deal?).

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Most developments require a legalised sweetener, don't they?

I would go for a cyclepath (Sustrans can pay for most of it). Not in the plan though.

Quote:
Develop a co-ordinated approach to providing sport, leisure, recreational and cultural activities – the provision of an access would provide an opportunity to enhance open space within the District.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Brighton & Hove Albion Training ground application. Full details online, ref no: AWDM/0205/12. What's your vew?

Simple Search
and search on: AWDM/0205/12

Construction of a training ground and football academy for Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club with access from Mash Barn Lane, comprising 11 outdoor pitches (2 of which are floodlit), external training grids, a Y-shaped 2 storey building to house changing rooms, associated offices, medical facilities, gym, catering and leisure facilities, a grounds maintenance building, security lodge, half-sized indoor training pitch and small sub-station/boiler house/refuse and recycling structure, plus 303 car parking spaces, 25-30 cycle spaces, coach parking, on-site access roads, security fencing and landscaping around the site. ***PLEASE NOTE THAT THE CONSULTATION PERIOD HAS BEEN EXTENDED UNTIL 30TH MARCH 2012*** | Land South West Of New Monks Farm Mash Barn Lane Lancing West Sussex

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The Adur Environment stakeholder group recommended (formal meeting) that the land known as Mash Barn should be allocated for Sports and Recreation as zoned in the redundant Structure Plan (& Local Strategic Plan) and that that attempts to build housing or encroachment of industrial buildings on flood risk land should be resisted. The concept of the Strategic Gap has been virtually abolished by a Planning decision on the Isle of Wight. There is still a presumption against over-development and encroachment in these areas and the new idea that these areas should contain open space (my interpretation). The planning allocation of the categories of farming land has been ignored or abolished.

Interesting as we were turned down by Adur on a planning application to expand the Dog Kennels in Shoreham (which is now the Dogs Trust place) due to the "Strategic Gap" argument. We were told nobody would ever be able to build on this field for that reason. We didn't challenge the decision as we probably couldn't afford to, and it looked futile anyway.

We spread my fathers ashes in the field 3 weeks ago as we thought it would always be green land (with permission as we no longer own it).

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Interesting as we were turned down by Adur on a planning application to expand the Dog Kennels in Shoreham (which is now the Dogs Trust place) due to the "Strategic Gap" argument. We were told nobody would ever be able to build on this field for that reason. We didn't challenge the decision as we probably couldn't afford to, and it looked futile anyway.

We spread my fathers ashes in the field 3 weeks ago as we thought it would always be green land (with permission as we no longer own it).

It was a Planning Appeal decision against a "golf course" spoil dumping ground between who small towns in the Isle of Wight that meant that Adur Council could not object against the "golf course" on New Monks Farm. It acted as a precedent. The spoil dumping lark can be a bit of a scam at times.

Adur Council could still reject the Albion proposal unless they get a "sweetener". The dumping of the soil gets a tax exemption on the tax for dumping if the land is for sports and recreation and a "golf course" is really an excuse. My interpretation was that and sports use would do. Even if they relocated Lancing Football ground as well and abolished the golf course entirely.

The upshot (local opinion) is that Lancing is a deprived area and it needs regeneration to provide jobs and something to look forward to. It is not like Falmer and Lewes. Anything but houses or an unfeasible airport extension. Generally, I would have thought that the plan would receive public support and all the indications I have found is the plan will receive reserved support if somebody does not muck it up.

Quote:

For planning permission to be granted, it would have to be demonstrated that the Club could adequately compensate for the loss of open space (by making significant qualitative improvements to existing areas of public open space), the development not materially harming the visual gap between settlements and that there would be significant regeneration benefits from the proposal which would outweigh any residual policy concerns. Clearly, any disposal of the public open space would also require vehicular access to serve the site.

Last edited:

It won't surprise anyone that the householders who have Mash Barn Lane at the end of their garden will want to preserve the cart-track ambience - especially those who have informally extended their gardens beyond the boundaries of their own property. They will argue against any development.

The Council, however, isn't supporting them. In fact, it is doing everything necessary to facilitate the development.

Nothing much to worry about, as far as I can see. Just small hurdles to overcome.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
You can't please all the people all of the time

Local Opinion Quote:

This is a really difficult one as I am split on my views. On the one hand I think having the BHA training facility in Lancing will be good for the local economy (we hope, although no proof of that yet) and I would far rather have this than more houses, yet on the other hand it will cause insurmountable disruption to the local residents and the traffic, which we already suffer heavy use and congestion on the A27/Grinstead Lane approaches. Also, the strategic gap will be seriously compromised and we will be in danger of 'joining up' with Shoreham and I am against that as one who is proud to live in Lancing and prefers to keep our own identity. As part of the Lancing Regeneration community group I do want to see plans that will encourage new businesses into our village as a result of demand, encourage people to stop and shop and bring badly needed revenue into the area however it inevitably comes at a cost. As said above, you can't please all the people all of the time. This is a local resident, not me.

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
You want to be careful writing things like that as the local NIMBY group will see that as threats and call the police again, I'm not joking either they've done it before because of similar things written on NSC and there was even an article in the same Herald paper a while ago about Albion fans on NSC threatening the local protesters. They might only be a small group of protesters but there's no limit to the lies they will tell to get people on they're side and in fact if you read the full article in this weeks Herald they yet again mention alleged threats from Albion fans, Although the funniest part of the article is one of the NIMBY's claiming the extra traffic caused by the training complex will lead to more accidents due to the amount of kids roaming the estate because the they're parents are incapable of looking after them properly.

Of course I am not suggesting any violence against persons - its a lighthearted nod to previous threads etc. You'd have to be stupid to think otherwise. Oh dear they are!

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Local Opinion Quote:

This is a really difficult one as I am split on my views. On the one hand I think having the BHA training facility in Lancing will be good for the local economy (we hope, although no proof of that yet) and I would far rather have this than more houses, yet on the other hand it will cause insurmountable disruption to the local residents and the traffic, which we already suffer heavy use and congestion on the A27/Grinstead Lane approaches. Also, the strategic gap will be seriously compromised and we will be in danger of 'joining up' with Shoreham and I am against that as one who is proud to live in Lancing and prefers to keep our own identity. As part of the Lancing Regeneration community group I do want to see plans that will encourage new businesses into our village as a result of demand, encourage people to stop and shop and bring badly needed revenue into the area however it inevitably comes at a cost. As said above, you can't please all the people all of the time. This is a local resident, not me.

How do people keep a straight face when refering to Lancing as a 'village'? Before any Lancingites jump on me, I lved there for several years. :whistle:

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
It won't surprise anyone that the householders who have Mash Barn Lane at the end of their garden will want to preserve the cart-track ambience - especially those who have informally extended their gardens beyond the boundaries of their own property. They will argue against any development.

The Council, however, isn't supporting them. In fact, it is doing everything necessary to facilitate the development.

Nothing much to worry about, as far as I can see. Just small hurdles to overcome.

Pretty much my take on their chances of stopping the development. The Falmer NIMBYS had their district council on thir side. This lot haven't. Their case for complaining about having land taken back that was never theirs anyway is pushing credibility & a really weak argument.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
How do people keep a straight face when refering to Lancing as a 'village'? Before any Lancingites jump on me, I lved there for several years. :whistle:

I don't think the term "Village" necessarily takes into account aesthetics. It always used to be the largest village in the country, but I don't know if that's still true.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
"... On to the scene now appears Brighton and Hove football club looking to find a location for a training ground for their players and long term development of their business. They decide that the proposed area already earmarked as playing fields would be ideal for their purposes and with great haste put in a proposal with incentives for acceptance which has Adur Councillors in an election year falling over with anticipation of political success in developing the strategic gap... "

With great haste?

Surely the club has known about this site for years. It had to cough up an unnecessary bucket on money talking about it during the Falmer planning process. It's not as though they've wandered in on it by chance.

I also love the line "On to the scene now appears Brighton and Hove football club and ... the long term development of their business" Would you believe it eh? In the middle of a recession and somebody has the audacity to develop their business and create some jobs! I don't know! Politicians! They really don't help themselves do they?

There's no story here. No real resident protest movement. Just a small town politician that wants to make waves, and probably a local reporter that sees a chance to create a story. Unfortunately, as with many journalists in this country, he or she will focus on the negative aspects rather than the positive aspects. If this were many other countries then the local residents would be out clearing the land and welcoming the bulldozers in.

I grew up in Shoreham and know this stretch of scrub well, and that's all it is. A bit of scrub that most residents have wanted to be used sensibly before it gets covered in unimaginative Barrett housing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here