Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An open letter to Andy Naylor

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
When are you going to run the proper story about why Dean Wilkins was sacked? That would actually be worth reading, and would enlighten the 95% of fans who haven't got a clue why.

The board thought (and continue to think) that Dean Wilkins is an excellent coach, but lacked some of the skills required to be the first team manager. They therefore replaced him with Micky Adams, and asked Dean to revert to the role where his skills are best employed.

Question answered.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You were certainly craving attention the last time we met under the Palace Pier :love:

Indeed perhaps we should have something in the Argus about that as well.

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
Yawn all f***ing round. Good job it's bed time. Two people with inflated egos of themselves having a pathetic spat in public. Who gives a monkeys. 3 points on Saturday is all that matters. Atilla you voiced your opinion, and Naylor is entitled to voice his own. He writes about Brighton and what is going on at the club. That's his job. He does his job. You do yours. Get over it.

Couldn't have put it better meself

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seeing as how they've now had an open letter each and it's ended in a draw, perhaps a penalty shootout at half-time to decide the winner? Probably be more entertaining than the game.

The board thought (and continue to think) that Dean Wilkins is an excellent coach, but lacked some of the skills required to be the first team manager. They therefore replaced him with Micky Adams, and asked Dean to revert to the role where his skills are best employed.

Question answered.

No, actually. All that does is raise further questions. What skills did DW lack? Because as far as I could tell the skills he had brought us a few good signings, an upward trend in results on the pitch and an unwavering loyalty to the club. Given that we now seem to be lacking all of those from his replacement are the board now going to change manager again? If not why not?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Since the Argus is read by many more thousands of people than visit NSC, all that a "quiet word with Mr Naylor" would achieve is that those thousands of people might still think that Attila's behaviour was inappropriate - because the Argus had told them so and no-one had challenged that view.

So how does posting it on the NSC differ from having a quiet word ? as you said yourself many more thousands of people read the Argus than visit NSC.

Attila said himself a while back he doesn't get much time to come onto NSC much these days, But suddenly when someone criticises him in the local rag he now uses NSC as a vehicle to publish his open letter, no doubt looking for support.

The correct action to enable that the "open letter" reached the correct audience was for it to be sent to the Argus.

From previous posting recent being only "10 metres apart" i assume Naylor is in and around the Press area on match days, what does he look like ?

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Yawn all f***ing round. Good job it's bed time. Two people with inflated egos of themselves having a pathetic spat in public. Who gives a monkeys. 3 points on Saturday is all that matters. Atilla you voiced your opinion, and Naylor is entitled to voice his own. He writes about Brighton and what is going on at the club. That's his job. He does his job. You do yours. Get over it.

Absolutely. Well said.

Unless you intend getting some gloves on and sorting it out in the centre circle at half time, spare us any more of this self-serving rubbish.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think John has put that extremely well. Especially the bit about

"that’s why I, along with many others, have been so disappointed at recent events. I really want Micky to turn things round and ultimately lead us out at Falmer. But no one is above criticism,"

Exactly! My criticisms of how Wilkins was treated, and subsequently the way the team has (under)performed this season doesn't make me disloyal, and I'm sick of the holier than thou attitude taken by some towards those who are critical.

We all want the Albion to succeed, and the criticism we throw out is because we care, and surely that is a good thing. Of course some take things too far and are too quick to sway their opinions one way or the other, but that's not what we are talking about here. John, and many others of us who are critical right now, LOVE this club dearly and it hurts like hell to see us struggle, especially when success seemed to be so close, either by having Wilkins continue the progress we were seeing, or by having the Micky of old in charge. Either seemed to be a recipe for success, and somehow we have got neither at the moment.

Of course we are frustrated by that, but if as fans we are not allowed to get passionate and vent our opinions, then football is dead for me, as it's all about passion and opinions.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I think John has put that extremely well. Especially the bit about

"that’s why I, along with many others, have been so disappointed at recent events. I really want Micky to turn things round and ultimately lead us out at Falmer. But no one is above criticism,"

Exactly! My criticisms of how Wilkins was treated, and subsequently the way the team has (under)performed this season doesn't make me disloyal, and I'm sick of the holier than thou attitude taken by some towards those who are critical.

We all want the Albion to succeed, and the criticism we throw out is because we care, and surely that is a good thing. Of course some take things too far and are too quick to sway their opinions one way or the other, but that's not what we are talking about here. John, and many others of us who are critical right now, LOVE this club dearly and it hurts like hell to see us struggle, especially when success seemed to be so close, either by having Wilkins continue the progress we were seeing, or by having the Micky of old in charge. Either seemed to be a recipe for success, and somehow we have got neither at the moment.

Of course we are frustrated by that, but if as fans we are not allowed to get passionate and vent our opinions, then football is dead for me, as it's all about passion and opinions.

Agreed.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Fair enough for Attila to put it on here. He's been needlessly attacked in very public fashion, and a response to the paper might be altered/shortened. Like this we can all read it and make our own minds up.

It does all make us look a bit small-time though. Albion fans currently seem obsessed with the 'personalities' around the club rather than the football and the club itself.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
To be fair, a misinformed journalist struggling for a story called for a die hard Albion fan to lose his job for voicing his opinion on a radio phone in, an opinion echoed by thousands of other fans.

Very poor article that clearly had a personal agenda. If I were Atilla, bloody right I'd respond. Lets face it, the Argus won't print it, so may aswell stick it on NSC and hope the right people read it.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Since I do not have automatic access to the Argus (I can send, they may well not print) and I wanted to reach fellow fans to exercise my right of reply, NSC is the obvious place. For me it's using an Albion forum for its intended puropse, as I have done in the past when various campaigns are on the go. And you're right, it's gone far enough: as far as I am concerned that is the end of the matter. Let's all cheer them on to three points tomorrow. SEAGULLS!

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
I agree with the `yawn` brigade. Naylor fills a column on a quiet newsday, the response could have been a letter to the Argus: instead it's an open letter to please the maddened crowd. Time for some football I think, roll on Saturday....

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Question answered.

mmmmm....

Of course it would be all so easy if Dean Wilkins would have just taken his old job back then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here