Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex seating +3 - The who you know game.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If the ST sales have gone through the roof, and by the end of March, they've gone out on general sale and sold out, surely the club have got time to stick the corners in? How many seats can they add, its a nearly 3000 isn't it? At an average ST price of £450 each, that's an earning potential of just under £1.5m p.a. for the extra filled in corner seats. They'd surely have to think about getting them in now, if demand outstrips supply, and with the cost effectiveness of the contractor still being on site!?

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
If the ST sales have gone through the roof, and by the end of March, they've gone out on general sale and sold out, surely the club have got time to stick the corners in? How many seats can they add, its a nearly 3000 isn't it? At an average ST price of £450 each, that's an earning potential of just under £1.5m p.a. for the extra filled in corner seats. They'd surely have to think about getting them in now, if demand outstrips supply, and with the cost effectiveness of the contractor still being on site!?

Sadly we'd need to get further planning permission first..

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Good plan. I'm sure two months is ample time to amend the planning applications. After all, getting the original approval didn't take long...

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Good plan. I'm sure two months is ample time to amend the planning applications. After all, getting the original approval didn't take long...

Not sure why the attitude, the original permission was revised following an application in October 2008 and given there were fairly major redesigned elements, it went through comparatively smoothly, all be it 6 months later. If the corners are there to be expanded into, so why not get the application in now, even if no intent to implement it right now, the approval will last min 3 years.

I can only go by the 2 West Ham fans and the Spurs fan in my group. They don't attend games at WHL / Upton Park (save for the odd occasion), and they want to get back into going to football regularly. They've always had an interest in the Albion having lived down here for years, and they've attended games in the past at the Goldstone, but for obvious reasons have not fancied going to Withdean. However, the wow-factor of the Amex has seduced them into wanting to invest in a season ticket.

Do they deserve to be ahead of existing STH's in the queue ? No. Would they bother investing in a season ticket if it wasn't sitting with me and our group ? No. Does the club want and need these additional bums on seats to make this whole thing work ? Hell yes.

They're not going to turn into die-hard Albion fans overnight, but we have GOT to expand the fanbase of this club. And if one of the ways is converting fans of other clubs to follow the Albion with the rest of us, then thats a good start.

Easy I agree with a lot of what you say on this board but in this instance I strongly disagree. You yourself have said they shouldn't be ahead of existing STH's so why couldn't the STH and their +3's wait until people who didn't want that privilege have made their choice. Under your argument there would still be plenty of seats to go round and you and your mates could still sit together.

The main thing that annoys me is that existing STH's have been mislead and many will find their choice much more limited than expected and the years spent in expectation of being in prime position for Falmer totally undermined. Yes we need a full stadium but more priority should have been given to STH's, particularly those with at least 5 years service and sensible suggestions have been made how this could have been handled better.

It's clear you will never agree but it helps you that you are at the front of the queue and it's a shame you don't give more credibility to sensible reasonsed arguments that are being put forward.

Night night

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Not sure why the attitude, the original permission was revised following an application in October 2008 and given there were fairly major redesigned elements, it went through comparatively smoothly, all be it 6 months later. If the corners are there to be expanded into, so why not get the application in now, even if no intent to implement it right now, the approval will last min 3 years.

It's not just the actual building that's considered.
The current travel plan has to be seen to work sufficiently and then revised.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

The approval was based on a capacity of 22,500, and takes into account things like access and transport network capabilities. No way would any increase on this be passed until the current capacity had been proved sufficient (or otherwise).

The other alterations to the scheme were cosmetic / internal, so really not the same. No attitude.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Easy I agree with a lot of what you say on this board but in this instance I strongly disagree. You yourself have said they shouldn't be ahead of existing STH's so why couldn't the STH and their +3's wait until people who didn't want that privilege have made their choice. Under your argument there would still be plenty of seats to go round and you and your mates could still sit together.

The main thing that annoys me is that existing STH's have been mislead and many will find their choice much more limited than expected and the years spent in expectation of being in prime position for Falmer totally undermined. Yes we need a full stadium but more priority should have been given to STH's, particularly those with at least 5 years service and sensible suggestions have been made how this could have been handled better.

It's clear you will never agree but it helps you that you are at the front of the queue and it's a shame you don't give more credibility to sensible reasonsed arguments that are being put forward.

Night night

This.

I'm category 4 despite having been a season ticket holder for seven of the Withdean seasons - and I live 50 miles away. It's very easy for people who are in the front of the queue to complain that others are whinging. Well excuse me, why the f**k should people who have never had a season ticket have first choice of the seats. To be honest, it f**king stinks.

As the poster above says, a better option would have been priority based on number of years of season tickets. Anyone wanting to bring additional people who have never been season ticket holders should wait until the others have been allocated.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's not just the actual building that's considered.
The current travel plan has to be seen to work sufficiently and then revised.

That makes sense. Condition no.38 does state that no outdoor event shall exceed 22,500. Clearly there must be some significant hurdles otherwise given the sales and the projected sales, they'd be getting the corner application in asap.

The approval was based on a capacity of 22,500, and takes into account things like access and transport network capabilities. No way would any increase on this be passed until the current capacity had been proved sufficient (or otherwise).

The other alterations to the scheme were cosmetic / internal, so really not the same. No attitude.

okay, as above that makes sense. Hadn't read anything in the planning decision that suggested transport capabilities needed to be tested or how long for. It's a bit arbitrary really, although I guess it's only tested if it's a full house every week, and you're only going to want to fill the corners if that's the case.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Night night

In an ideal world EVERY existing STH would be able to pick their seat in strict order of how long they'd been a STH. And I can see why some noses have been put out of joint by the P1's being allowed to bring up to 3 JCL's (although in many cases, in fact most cases including my own, many of the +3's are going to long-standing STH's in their own right and have also done the Gillingham years etc).

But there is always going to be conflict between loyalty and economics - compromise has to be the result. Allowing the P1's to have up to 3 family and friends sit with them is the BEST way of selling as many season tickets as possible whilst still rewarding the most loyal. It does mean those not at the very front might not get quite what they wanted, but the alternative is for the club to take a hit on sales, as P1's would not want to have to drop down the "loyalty ladder" if they actually want to use their +3's.

Personally I had my heart set on a front-row seat in the upper tier of the West, and have done since they started building the thing. It looks like I'll be too late for that though, and will have to settle for somewhere else further back. Yeah yeah, "boo hoo" I hear you cry, but everyones in the same boat, and in a few months time we'll all be sitting in that magnificent arena wondering what the frig all this bitching was about anyway.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Night night

I whole-heartedly agree with you.

For all those who are forever going on about all seats being 'good' seats etc.........clearly....very clearly....some seats/positions in the stadium are perceived to be better than others.

THAT IS WHY THERE ARE DIFFERENT PRICE STRUCTURES.

On a 'marketing' level, the club are doing brilliantly.

On a loyalty level...it's a f***ing shambles.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This.

I'm category 4 despite having been a season ticket holder for seven of the Withdean seasons - and I live 50 miles away. It's very easy for people who are in the front of the queue to complain that others are whinging. Well excuse me, why the f**k should people who have never had a season ticket have first choice of the seats. To be honest, it f**king stinks.

As the poster above says, a better option would have been priority based on number of years of season tickets. Anyone wanting to bring additional people who have never been season ticket holders should wait until the others have been allocated.

That would have suited me. I'm a current season ticket holder, was ST holder at Goldstone, Gillingham and for most of the time at Withdean but I had four seasons off while the kids were young so I don't qualify as Cat 1. I do feel aggrieved that having been a ST holder for 12 of the last 16 years is not recognised in any way.

I'm sure that not all STs will be sold though but it does sound like they're going very well

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
A mate just text me to say that he knows a SPURS fan at work who has NEVER been to an Albion game in his life has got a front row seat in the upper west thanks to a STH's +3.

Now THIS I disagree with.

As I said earlier, I know 2 people who don't support Brighton and never been to a game but have season tickets. I don't begrudge them as they went through the right channels, but pretty much every Brighton fan I know (bar Vicki) doesn't have their ticket yet. Don't know how many years/games that is between us, but its loads.

We will all end up getting a ticket in the end though

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I know two people that have already got their season tickets for next year, and they've never been to a Brighton game before.

Still 3 weeks til I get mine, and most of the people we hang around with dont have theres yet. I know thats only 2 people, but Im sure theres many more

That seems fair!!

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
I've had a season ticket for the second year at Gillingham and every year at Withdean, why?? Because I wanted to see those games, not because I expected to get a good seat in any new stadium. I don't deserve or expect any special treatment, when you buy a theatre ticket do you expect priority for the next production? I thought not, get real folks as STHs we have got special treatment, for no real reason, don't grumble.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Thinking about it further, the whole +3 scheme is brilliant marketing by the club as they're actually getting the supporters to do the marketing for them!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
In our group of 7, the 2 main STH got an additional 5, of which 2 were already STH and the other 3 have lapsed in the last 2 years but still been to 80 % of the matches.
I think that is what will generally be going on in this first few weeks. No JCL in sight.
Although I am one of the lapsed STH I will try to overcome my guilt by remerniscing about the 1200/1300 games I`ve watched over the last 40 odd years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here