Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

FF1

Aug 28, 2019
Is it? Or is the question whether he is prepared to take a pay cut to get regular football again.

Duffy's salary right now is half paid by his new club and half paid by Brighton. Duffy did not get a pay cut when he moved. I expect same thing will happen for ARJ. No reason to get a pay cut when he can stay here and get full salary.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
People keep saying this but I think it's total nonsense. We simply haven't used him effectively or really given him his chance to show what he can do. It's all old ground and I'm over the discussion now but it will always frustrate me when people say "he's out of his depth in the PL".

Jahanbakhsh is a lot better than many of our regular starters, I have absolutely no doubt at that at all. The difference is two managers haven't chosen to assemble a team which benefits him or allows him to thrive. The first manager was scared of attacking football and was determined to play Knockaert on the right, despite Jahanbakhsh being better suited to playing that role. In that first season he was deployed as cover for the rubbish Gaetan Bong, rather than an attacking winger. Under Potter he's been moved around all over the place but shown his quality and his worth when actually given a chance.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Doesn’t matter what sport or league, game time will improve performance. You are always hearing, players, coaches and pundits saying that a player is rusty and needs game time to get to the top of his game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, as I said, that is without a doubt. But we need players to contribute immediately, not after a few games. Look at Propper. He has had less minutes than Ali J has this season and came off the bench against Wolves and made an impact.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Well other than glimpse of brilliance, there is literally no evidence to suggest otherwise.

Knockaert (IMO) was a much better player both at championship and at PL level.

People can hide behind played out of position, but he's been played in a number of roles and sadly failed to be consistent/effective in all of them. His contribution, has literally been negligible other than 'that' goal......

Like many others genuinely, disappointed, but no pace, inconsistent delivery, not great at tracking and struggled with the overall pace of the game at this level. I hope he goes back to Holland and plays brilliantly.

Have to agree with the assessment that Knockaert was the better PL winger. All that Ali J has going for him is a generally more consistent quality of shot and final ball but beyond that, Knockaert is better in just about every way.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
That may be the case but we may never know if that's due to a lack of match sharpness or because it's simply how he is :shrug:

As above, I don't see how anyone can suggest he's had a chance to prove himself. I thought after Bournemouth and Chelsea last season he'd finally be given a chance but it never materialised. Odd one for me :mad:

He has had a chance to prove himself in training every week since arriving and convince two managers he is worthy of a regular starting position and neither have used him (and on many occasions not even in the squad) which is telling in itself.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The fact neither Hughton or Potter rates him is enough for me that we need to cut our losses and get rid

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Sad the way it turned out. Especially considering the way his Brighton tenure started.

North Stand Chat tracking planes live on the internet with potential signings inside I don’t think will ever be beaten for me.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Not sure how he is meant to get upto match fitness and consistency when all he gets is minutes at the arse end of games and not a proper run of games

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Never really got a long run in the team , even after scoring against Bournemouth and his wonder goal against Chelsea .
By a long run I mean a dozen matches ,

FF1

Aug 28, 2019
Unfortunately he is just another one in a row of Eredivisie wingers who just cant make it in England. Narsingh, Berghuis, Assaidi, Ruiz, Depay etc... Not good enough defensively to play on the wing in England and also not really a striker, meaning there is no obvious role for these types of players. Some go on to have decent career elsewhere, some just move back to Holland and end up in some mid-tier team over there. As for Ali J I think he will have a decent future somewhere but I dont think he would have made it at any PL club.

I am sure you can think of some successful Eredivisie players that have made it in PL and other big European leagues but chose not to mention them.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I am sure you can think of some successful Eredivisie players that have made it in PL and other big European leagues but chose not to mention them.

Absolutely, but rarely Eredivisie wingers in England. Cant think of anyone in the last ten years or so. Chadli was pretty good in Spurs for a while, I guess.

FF1

Aug 28, 2019
Absolutely, but rarely Eredivisie wingers in England. Cant think of anyone in the last ten years or so. Chadli was pretty good in Spurs for a while, I guess.

Remind me again where Ziyech played before Chelsea??? Just to name the latest recruit....

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
He has had a chance to prove himself in training every week since arriving and convince two managers he is worthy of a regular starting position and neither have used him (and on many occasions not even in the squad) which is telling in itself.

I found the piece in the Argus re Jamie Murphy quite telling about what Hughton demanded of his wingers. So, no surprises that Ali J rarely featured under him. As for Potter, the majority of times he doesn’t play with out and out wingers. Sure, when Ali J has played, he’s been a mixed bag but he’s hardly been able to string games together to build form, has he? I’m well aware Potter sees what happens in training and we don’t, but Potter’s selections a can be a tad... unusual at times, shall we say ???

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Im genuinely surprised there’s a sizeable contingent on here that think there’s untapped gold in Ali J.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here