Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Remind me again where Ziyech played before Chelsea??? Just to name the latest recruit....

Ziyech more of a nr 10, but yeah he could do well. Too early to say. Dusan Tadic was pretty good over in Southampton as well. But most Eredivisie wingers moving to England fail.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
People keep saying this but I think it's total nonsense. We simply haven't used him effectively or really given him his chance to show what he can do. It's all old ground and I'm over the discussion now but it will always frustrate me when people say "he's out of his depth in the PL".

Jahanbakhsh is a lot better than many of our regular starters, I have absolutely no doubt at that at all. The difference is two managers haven't chosen to assemble a team which benefits him or allows him to thrive. The first manager was scared of attacking football and was determined to play Knockaert on the right, despite Jahanbakhsh being better suited to playing that role. In that first season he was deployed as cover for the rubbish Gaetan Bong, rather than an attacking winger. Under Potter he's been moved around all over the place but shown his quality and his worth when actually given a chance.

He simply hasn’t shown his quality or worth when given a chance. Had a start against Arsenal and did bugger all. Nice chap but not quick enough (in pace or thought) for the Premier League. May do much better in a European League where the game is played at a less frenetic pace. Nice chap though, but poor recruitment and I hope we’ve learned the lesson - our squad desperately lacks speed/pace throughout (Lamptey apart of course)

FF1

Aug 28, 2019
Ziyech hasn’t done anything of note in England yet has he?

I suppose they broke the mold after Knockaerd and no other winger is ever going to be great again. Knockaerd, a winger that has struggled to start a game under different coaches and teams in championship the last few years...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Ziyech more of a nr 10, but yeah he could do well. Too early to say. Dusan Tadic was pretty good over in Southampton as well. But most Eredivisie wingers moving to England fail.

Arjen Robben was the last truly successful one, I suppose ...

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I suppose they broke the mold after Knockaerd and no other winger is ever going to be great again. Knockaerd, a winger that has struggled to start a game under different coaches and teams in championship the last few years...

Who is this Knockaerd you talk about?

We had a great player called Knockaert, who was Championship Player of the Year when we got promoted. Club legend. Also doesn’t have what it takes in the Prem though, much like Ali J.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Why on earth did we not get rid in the summer? Ridiculous article. Baffling decision making by the current regime. He wasn't involved much last season because he wasn't up to it so why now?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Why on earth did we not get rid in the summer? Ridiculous article. Baffling decision making by the current regime. He wasn't involved much last season because he wasn't up to it so why now?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

As the AZ director of football said this summer, Brighton offered Ali J to them (and most likely to other clubs). They had a word with Ali J and quickly decided it was impossible (probably economically speaking). Unfortunately you cant force other clubs to buy your players.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lovely bloke, I’ve wanted him to succeed throughout, but he will never cut the mustard.

Radio Sussex commentary and analysis of recent games has highlighted Jahanbakhsh ignoring GP’s instructions to stay out wide, instead crowding the central space meant for Lallana and others. Making like hard for us, easy for opposing defences.

2.5 years after signing, that’s awful. Unfortunately £17m blown, another Eredivisie foray gone wrong.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Arjen Robben was the last truly successful one, I suppose ...

Only he and Marc Overmars and Zenden are eredivisie wingers who made any real impact on the Premier League.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As the AZ director of football said this summer, Brighton offered Ali J to them (and most likely to other clubs). They had a word with Ali J and quickly decided it was impossible (probably economically speaking). Unfortunately you cant force other clubs to buy your players.

I know the feeling.

With all the charity shops closed due to Covid-19, we've struggled to get rid of shit we no longer want too.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I still think one of the biggest problems for Jahanbakhsh is his first year or so here was under Hughton who, for all his positives, absolutely ruined him as a player and destroyed his confidence. He barely played and when he did, he was essentially asked to sit deep on the left side in a defensive winger role. It's no wonder his confidence was shot to pieces and it's no wonder he's having to do an element of retraining to get back to his favoured role again.

The question is, will he play enough to get that done to the point where he's a genuine contender to start every week? The likely answer is "no", so sadly I think he needs to find a club where he can play in a way that suits his ability.

What I am hoping we don't see is this exact situation with Percy Tau: Comes in, doesn't play much initially, does ok in fits and starts but doesn't get a regular run, isn't 100% trusted by the boss and then the club's social media posts get hijacked by angry South Africans demand why we're not playing the Lion of Judah.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Probably for the best for everyone if he does move on.

I believe there is a decent player in there, and we'll always have that moment against Chelsea. I was in prime spot behind the goal for it, wonderful moment.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I still think one of the biggest problems for Jahanbakhsh is his first year or so here was under Hughton who, for all his positives, absolutely ruined him as a player and destroyed his confidence. He barely played and when he did, he was essentially asked to sit deep on the left side in a defensive winger role. It's no wonder his confidence was shot to pieces and it's no wonder he's having to do an element of retraining to get back to his favoured role.

Sad but true.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
A loan is surely more likely.

We bought him for £17m and have 2 and a half years left on his deal.

I don't believe the club will want to write off this money.

6 months loan, i've got a sneaky suspicion on a mid level Italian club, then see if we can get 4 or 5 million for him in the summer

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Bizarre that in football you can play great football, earn a goodish amount I'm sure, then move to another company and get paid a hell of a lot more on a long, long contract to not play much football at all and and not perform well. Then you have to decide whether to move elsewhere to be paid less, to go back to playing much more and (probably) performing much better. It'll probably turn out that Brighton has been an extremely well paid "career-break" for him, book ended by playing lots more and playing well.

edit - I'm sure he'll do really well somewhere else where he'll have more time and space on the ball.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Short of the required standard unfortunately. Decent enough player but you are talking about one of the big five leagues he doesn't deliver consistently enough. The £17m is gone in this case IMO and in this buyers market I think we'll be lucky to get half of that back. This is the cost of the world we are operating in, we cannot attract the ready made article and have to take a chance on emerging players and hope they become the real deal, some will, some won't. For me this one won't...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here