Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

D

Deleted member 2719

Never posted on this thread as I didn't think there is much to say about Ali J, a part from he is not prem quality.
How on earth has it got 8000 odd posts and 1.3m views.:eek:

Has any other Albion player attracted the same interest on NSC???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I read somewhere recently that he's had lots of injury problems (that went unreported at the time). However, despite my admiration for his abilities, the fact is that two very different managers hardly selected him even when fit, so perhaps he doesn't follow instructions properly, or womething. But....like everyone else, I know nothing about the reality of the situation. I do know we went 3 years wanting to sign him, though, so it is rather sad it hasn't worked out and looks like it never will (I now grudgingly accept :tantrum:)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Short of the required standard unfortunately. Decent enough player but you are talking about one of the big five leagues he doesn't deliver consistently enough. The £17m is gone in this case IMO and in this buyers market I think we'll be lucky to get half of that back. This is the cost of the world we are operating in, we cannot attract the ready made article and have to take a chance on emerging players and hope they become the real deal, some will, some won't. For me this one won't...

Plus the wages and other expenses like relocation. What a shame neither Hughton nor Potter were able to get the best out of him.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Short of the required standard unfortunately. Decent enough player but you are talking about one of the big five leagues he doesn't deliver consistently enough. The £17m is gone in this case IMO and in this buyers market I think we'll be lucky to get half of that back. This is the cost of the world we are operating in, we cannot attract the ready made article and have to take a chance on emerging players and hope they become the real deal, some will, some won't. For me this one won't...

Would be AMAZED if we got half of that back.

We'll get shot for £3-4m to save on 2.5 years of high wages.

Yoda

English & European
Never posted on this thread as I didn't think there is much to say about Ali J, a part from he is not prem quality.
How on earth has it got 8000 odd posts and 1.3m views.:eek:

Has any other Albion player attracted the same interest on NSC???

Pretty sure Vicente's thread was double this before he actually signed

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I read somewhere recently that he's had lots of injury problems (that went unreported at the time). However, despite my admiration for his abilities, the fact is that two very different managers hardly selected him even when fit, so perhaps he doesn't follow instructions properly, or womething. But....like everyone else, I know nothing about the reality of the situation. I do know we went 3 years wanting to sign him, though, so it is rather sad it hasn't worked out and looks like it never will (I now grudgingly accept :tantrum:)

Yep, three years and lots of resources to assess him and spin him...and I still have this nagging feeling that insufficient effort was made to integrate his skills and get the best out of him. Disappointed, but he needs to move on for himself now.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If he had signed for Leicester no doubt he would be worth millions by now, small club mentality which didn’t like letting strangers into the family. Andone pretty much confirmed the same.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
My final comment on him before hopefully he moves on (don't mean that rudely), is that I remember watching him at the World Cup when it was rumoured we were after him (started then subbed or came on as a sub in each group game). He was completely and totally anonymous. Wasn't a good sign against better opposition than he was used to.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Would be AMAZED if we got half of that back.

We'll get shot for £3-4m to save on 2.5 years of high wages.

If we sell him, we have to pay up the remaining wages on his contract don't we ?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Just on a financial level, forget on field contribution, keeping us up etc .......We'll have to take a massive loss on him.

But his signing is part of an overall strategy of signing players in the £15 to £30m range who are aged 22 to 24 and putting them on long term deals.

So we'll lose £12 to £15m on Ali J.

But if we sold Bissouma for, say £35m, that's a profit of about £20m. One or two failures, doesn't mean the overall strategy is wrong.

We've lost on Izquierdo and Locadia as well.

But Trossard, Webster, Maupay are all slightly above par, (from a financial point of view), in that we'd get about the same, or slightly above what we paid for them if we sold to a rival.

In any case, this strategy was to keep us up for the first few seasons and it worked. The new strategy is very much based around the academy players coming into the side. The first few years of this, are likely to be a bit hairy

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If we sell him, we have to pay up the remaining wages on his contract don't we ?

If that were true players wouldn't have an incentive to stay anywhere for more than a year.

Player x would be incentivised to go somewhere new every year and be paid up on the rest of his contract. He might end up having 4 or 5 different contracts which he's being paid on at any time.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes turns out that is wrong. So where is the incentive for a player on £50k/week with 2 years left to run, to move to another club and take a 50-75% pay cut?

D

Deleted member 2719

Pretty sure Vicente's thread was double this before he actually signed

That I can understand, as he was a proper player with proven form.
I can imagine Barnesy thread being up their because of divided opinion.
But Ali J can't divide opinion like AB.

Easy:

Record signing at the time.

Iranian fans joining NSC.

Scored one worldie.

Lovely haircut.

He does also have that baby oil dripping out of his beard and is a nice geezer.

But none of this floats my boat only performance on the pitch.

I once scored a worldie goal, I still talk about it 30 years on!

I bet most footballers can rank one goal they scored as a worldie, like golfers with a special shot.

Sorry but his one golden strike is not enough for me to talk about him on a regular basis.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
My final comment on him before hopefully he moves on (don't mean that rudely), is that I remember watching him at the World Cup when it was rumoured we were after him (started then subbed or came on as a sub in each group game). He was completely and totally anonymous. Wasn't a good sign against better opposition than he was used to.

My thoughts exactly. I watched them just to get a look at our potential star signing. I assumed he was having an off day or two. It turned out it was the start of an off year or four.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yes turns out that is wrong. So where is the incentive for a player on £50k/week with 2 years left to run, to move to another club and take a 50-75% pay cut?

There is no incentive.

Financially, Ali is best off seeing out the rest of his Albion deal.

Many players do this, Ozil being a good example.

Ali J is cut from different cloth and wants to play football.

However he may not need take any reduction in salary.

What I think is likely to happen, is that he'll be loaned to a club for the rest of the season. They'll pay about half his salary and we'll pay the other half (a bit like Andone to Galatasaray)

If we're lucky, he'll do well and someone will offer us £5m or so for him. If not, he'll go back out on loan to a different club under a similar arrangement until his contract expires. Far from ideal for us, but will save us about £3m in wages

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here