Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That may be the case but we may never know if that's due to a lack of match sharpness or because it's simply how he is :shrug:

As above, I don't see how anyone can suggest he's had a chance to prove himself. I thought after Bournemouth and Chelsea last season he'd finally be given a chance but it never materialised. Odd one for me :mad:

Didn’t he pick up an injury just after the Chelsea game ?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Apart from 3 games White played CB
Veltman played at CB and occasionally at full back
Trossard played wide left
Ali played wide right
Burn played CB
Prossard for Holland attacking midfielder
Bernardo played full back

It comes with signing for us likely will play in a different position

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
People keep saying this but I think it's total nonsense. We simply haven't used him effectively or really given him his chance to show what he can do. It's all old ground and I'm over the discussion now but it will always frustrate me when people say "he's out of his depth in the PL".

Jahanbakhsh is a lot better than many of our regular starters, I have absolutely no doubt at that at all. The difference is two managers haven't chosen to assemble a team which benefits him or allows him to thrive. The first manager was scared of attacking football and was determined to play Knockaert on the right, despite Jahanbakhsh being better suited to playing that role. In that first season he was deployed as cover for the rubbish Gaetan Bong, rather than an attacking winger. Under Potter he's been moved around all over the place but shown his quality and his worth when actually given a chance.

thing is , wouldnt matter what position , it wouldnt stop him giving ball away , being slow and being lightweight

good shot though

He's not figured 5 times , he's played 40 times !!

May do ok in championship....possibly

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
People keep saying this but I think it's total nonsense. We simply haven't used him effectively or really given him his chance to show what he can do. It's all old ground and I'm over the discussion now but it will always frustrate me when people say "he's out of his depth in the PL".

Jahanbakhsh is a lot better than many of our regular starters, I have absolutely no doubt at that at all. The difference is two managers haven't chosen to assemble a team which benefits him or allows him to thrive. The first manager was scared of attacking football and was determined to play Knockaert on the right, despite Jahanbakhsh being better suited to playing that role. In that first season he was deployed as cover for the rubbish Gaetan Bong, rather than an attacking winger. Under Potter he's been moved around all over the place but shown his quality and his worth when actually given a chance.

Indeed, he’s a deceptively good player low on confidence ... he’s a player who has a favoured position, and role within that position that the two most recent managers at the club have been unable fulfill tactically... for obvious reasons in the case of CH, and (for me) utterly bewildering reasons in the case of the attack minded GP.

He would have scored a bag full in the right team, alas we’re not likely to be it for a while at least.

Shame.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I wouldn't say he's out of his depth but if you watch him closely, even things like his touch, aren't good enough to be a regular starter.

He's never been a regular starter so has never had the chance to get match fit and sharp . . .unlike many other who aren't as good.

If other prattlings about Propper wanting to leave and Gross possibly going are true, I do wonder what kind of football we're going to be playing in the championship next season. . . :whistle:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Well other than glimpse of brilliance, there is literally no evidence to suggest otherwise.

Knockaert (IMO) was a much better player both at championship and at PL level.

People can hide behind played out of position, but he's been played in a number of roles and sadly failed to be consistent/effective in all of them. His contribution, has literally been negligible other than 'that' goal......

Like many others genuinely, disappointed, but no pace, inconsistent delivery, not great at tracking and struggled with the overall pace of the game at this level. I hope he goes back to Holland and plays brilliantly.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Well other than glimpse of brilliance, there is literally no evidence to suggest otherwise.

People can hide behind played out of position, but he's been played in a number of roles and sadly failed to be consistent/effective in all of them. His contribution, has literally been negligible other than 'that' goal......

Like many others genuinely, disappointed, but no pace, inconsistent delivery, not great at tracking and struggled with the overall pace of the game at this level. I hope he goes back to Holland and plays brilliantly.

Nail on head.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
He's never been a regular starter so has never had the chance to get match fit and sharp . . .unlike many other who aren't as good.

If other prattlings about Propper wanting to leave and Gross possibly going are true, I do wonder what kind of football we're going to be playing in the championship next season. . . :whistle:

I’m going to say it... for me we should have been playing Ali J side right in a 4-4-1-1 with Alzate in behind Maupay and not starting AC as much as we have. I dislike the 3 at the back and although we lack genuine fullbacks I would have rectified this in the summer.

But, GP et al know best (as do the GP fan club) and obviously Ali J isn’t in their plans or rated by those who count.

You see; I know nothin’ about everythin’

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
I wouldn't say he's out of his depth but if you watch him closely, even things like his touch, aren't good enough to be a regular starter.

This.

His first touch is what lets him down imo. He rarely keeps it close enough to be able to make a controlled second touch - be that a pass, shot or dribble. The times he does get given the time he needs, he looks reasonable. Shame it's not worked out but definitely would be best for both parties if he finds another club.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Has anyone stopped to consider whether changing this thread topic to say he singed instead of signed might make the difference to performances on the pitch?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Unfortunately he is just another one in a row of Eredivisie wingers who just cant make it in England. Narsingh, Berghuis, Assaidi, Ruiz, Depay etc... Not good enough defensively to play on the wing in England and also not really a striker, meaning there is no obvious role for these types of players. Some go on to have decent career elsewhere, some just move back to Holland and end up in some mid-tier team over there. As for Ali J I think he will have a decent future somewhere but I dont think he would have made it at any PL club.

JonnyCLately

Jan 16, 2018
Shoreham by sea

Where has Propper suggested he wanted to leave? He's a big loss IMO

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

All of this.

He's a great technical player when he gets time on the ball. He has neither the pace, nor the strength, not the guile to make that time for himself in the EPL.

This really needs to be the message (yet again) to the recruitment team. The Eredivisie has too many "monkey tennis" standard teams in it and should be viewed as League 1 when judging cheap-ish players.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

This. Never got a run in the side. Anyway....:down:

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
That may be the case but we may never know if that's due to a lack of match sharpness or because it's simply how he is :shrug:

As above, I don't see how anyone can suggest he's had a chance to prove himself. I thought after Bournemouth and Chelsea last season he'd finally be given a chance but it never materialised. Odd one for me :mad:

If he needs to be 'match sharp' to have a good first touch, then maybe he isn't good enough to play in the PL...

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
If he needs to be 'match sharp' to have a good first touch, then maybe he isn't good enough to play in the PL...

Really? ??? You don’t think that playing week in, week out improves players skills, both physically and mentally and that, by barely playing, it takes time for players to regain that sharpness or mind and body?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Undoubtedly it does. I am saying that it is not a luxury you can have in the PL.

Doesn’t matter what sport or league, game time will improve performance. You are always hearing, players, coaches and pundits saying that a player is rusty and needs game time to get to the top of his game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here