Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Code:

It serves no purpose now to realease that information but for people to claim Chris ruined him as a player is well wide of the mark.

They were told what standard a player he was and would be. He got no better or no worse.

He's a great finisher but creatively he was competing for a starting place against Solly and Izquierdo and Knockheart. All of whom are more creative players.

I agree with the competition being preferred by Hughton, but I think for their ability to get back and defend, rather than what they offered going forward.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My opinion is that Hughton wanted his wingers to be part full back, and in this regard Ali was lacking. However, Potter seems more interested in his full backs being part winger.

I think you may have twatted the nail squarely on the head there . . . It's not that the player isn't good, but they don't fit into the mnagers ideas/scheme.

It explains why Greyhound has been getting a few starts.

FF1

Aug 28, 2019
Another way to look at it is he has now been here almost two years and under two managers he has not forced his way into a regular slot in the first team so they are obviously not convinced he has something to offer regularly at this level. You have to remember minutes on the pitch is only part of the story these managers are working on the training ground with him every day and at the end of the week are not even seeing him worthy of a place in the match day squad which is telling.

That’s not to say he is a terrible player but he has not settled or thrived in English football at all and a return to the Dutch league is probably on the cards. Cannot fault his attitude and he has shown himself to be a top pro so for that I hope he gets moved on somewhere where he can settle.

He did settle in spite of huge psychological pressure that Potter put him under by not playing him for nearly the first half of the season. He scored two goals and caused an own goal in 287 minutes of play. NO OTHER PLAYER IN THE SQUAD COMES CLOSE TO HIS NUMBER OF GOALS PER MINUTE OF PLAY....

I acknowledged that most people here think your way... "Potter is not playing him, therefore he must be no good...", but my point was that when Potter was forced to play him because of the heavy schedule around Christmas time, he performed real well. So I was trying to figure out if there might be another reason why Potter is not playing him. We all know he is a great professional with great attitude so that can't be the reason. Is there another reason that we can't think of? Or bite my tongue, bite my tongue, Potter has a blind spot and is not seeing the talent that's there...

Listen, you can say that Jahanbakhsh may have gotten lucky with goals, but the truth is that he was playing well too. Linking up front, putting in decent crosses, etc. He was very lively whenever he was on the field. Usually when you are playing well and scoring goals, coaches don't stop giving you a chance, but Potter has and I am wondering why?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He did settle in spite of huge psychological pressure that Potter put him under by not playing him for nearly the first half of the season. He scored two goals and caused an own goal in 287 minutes of play. NO OTHER PLAYER IN THE SQUAD COMES CLOSE TO HIS NUMBER OF GOALS PER MINUTE OF PLAY....

I acknowledged that most people here think your way... "Potter is not playing him, therefore he must be no good...", but my point was that when Potter was forced to play him because of the heavy schedule around Christmas time, he performed real well. So I was trying to figure out if there might be another reason why Potter is not playing him. We all know he is a great professional with great attitude so that can't be the reason. Is there another reason that we can't think of? Or bite my tongue, bite my tongue, Potter has a blind spot and is not seeing the talent that's there...

Listen, you can say that Jahanbakhsh may have gotten lucky with goals, but the truth is that he was playing well too. Linking up front, putting in decent crosses, etc. He was very lively whenever he was on the field. Usually when you are playing well and scoring goals, coaches don't stop giving you a chance, but Potter has and I am wondering why?

I am one of the few on here who agrees with you! I am mystified why he hasn’t been used more.

Tweeting Seagull

Mar 27, 2018
He scored two goals and caused an own goal in 287 minutes of play. NO OTHER PLAYER IN THE SQUAD COMES CLOSE TO HIS NUMBER OF GOALS PER MINUTE OF PLAY....

This stat seems to count his Misplaced cross that was inadvertently Turned in by an opposition defender as an assist, which to me suggests you’re scrapping the barrel somewhat to b prove a point.

I also don’t agree fans think he’s not good enough because he’s not played. Jahanbakhsh has played 36 games for the club now, everyone knows what he’s about and unfortunately he’s just not as good as the other options available to Potter. Seems like a nice hardworking lad, but unfortunately that only gets you so far:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Alireza Jahanbakhsh signs on a 5-year deal for a club record fee

The club will judge him based on what they have seen in 2 years which is not enough for a record signing whichever way you try to spin the stats. You talk about Potter having a blind spot yet again ignore the previous manager did not think he was worth a regular starting spot either.

I get you are one of these Ali J fans who cannot see any wrong and always defend him from the ‘he is always better in his second season’, ‘he is not being played in the right position’, ‘he is not being given a chance’ etc etc. Truth is neither of our last two managers have any motive to keep quality players outside the starting eleven and the reality is in 24 months at the club he has simply not done enough to be commanding a regular position. Just not up to this level of football and the fact two premier league managers think that and no other premier league clubs seem to be in the mix to take him off our hands appears to back that up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This stat seems to count his Misplaced cross that was inadvertently Turned in by an opposition defender as an assist, which to me suggests you’re scrapping the barrel somewhat to b prove a point.

I also don’t agree fans think he’s not good enough because he’s not played. Jahanbakhsh has played 36 games for the club now, everyone knows what he’s about and unfortunately he’s just not as good as the other options available to Potter. Seems like a nice hardworking lad, but unfortunately that only gets you so far:
That's the bit which doesn't ring true for me.

It reads like the team has 4 or 5 top quality wide men who have consistently delivered.

Jose - injured.
AK - The loosest of cannons and a shadow of his Championship self.
Solly - Has always flattered to deceive.
Groß - Clearly a better option.
Mooy - Has earned his place with epic performances, but hasn't done anywhere near enough to keep it.

Too not get on the bench, let alone the pitch, ahead of 4 of those during periods of their Albion career is baffling.

Baffling for a player who was much sort after, groomed, wanted and kept.

A player who has even had a confidence boosting upturn in form which elevated past March, Mooy (who was shite at the time) and obviously Jose.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It reads like the team has 4 or 5 top quality wide men who have consistently delivered.

Jose - injured.
Mooy - Has earned his place with epic performances, but hasn't done anywhere near enough to keep it.

Too not get on the bench, let alone the pitch, ahead of 4 of those during periods of their Albion career is baffling.

A player who has even had a confidence boosting upturn in form which elevated past March, Mooy (who was shite at the time) and obviously Jose.

Can’t disagree with that. The question is, despite no obvious shining stars, who makes way when you need to name your match day squad? Who is left out for AJ to be included?

March, Mooy, Gross, Trossard, Ali Mac?

Tweeting Seagull

Mar 27, 2018

Jose - injured.

Saying our other options aren’t world beaters doesn’t mean Jahanbakhsh is any better. Alireza has played 36 times for the club now. Thats a lot of appearances! Enough for Everyone to make our minds up on his ability.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think there is also an argument that Ali is an out and out winger, a right footer on the right wing, who won't flourish in a set up of inverted wingers and high full backs.

I'd love it if Ali does get game time and nails down the spot, though more likely is a move at the end of the season. I won't be ridiculing him if this happens. He'll go with my best wishes. He's worked hard, not moaned to the press and the goals have clearly meant a lot to him.

Nor will I particularly be having a pop at the recruitment. He clearly has quality. He had a great goalscoring record in Holland and Leicester wanted him. It just hasn't worked out for him. This happens.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Saying our other options aren’t world beaters doesn’t mean Jahanbakhsh is any better. Alireza has played 36 times for the club now. Thats a lot of appearances! Enough for Everyone to make our minds up on his ability.

That's clearly not what I'm saying.

I'm not too sure why 36 appearances keeps appearing as justification.

Mooy has made 24 appearances this season alone.
Now, as said, some of those 24 Ali's not been fit to lace Mooy's boots.
But even his biggest fans will say there's plenty in there which selection has raised an eyebrow.

Ali has made 8 appearances - 2 goals fact fans and #TeamSollyites.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I have a lot of respect for Ali. I do think he should have been given a bit more game time around that time he scored a couple of goals to nail down a spot in the side.

And I will always remember him for that goal if he does indeed go.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Lets face it , he was absoliute toilet for ages at the start. Almost comically bad.

He cant be faulted for his attitude and when he finally hit theose couple goals and put in a couple of performances everyone hoped this was him coming good.

Problem is , it proved to just be that mini period that was not the norm and normal was soon back. Bad passes , lightweight , lack of pace etc.

He didnt go back to the comically bad form but he was a long way of adding the class that we need. We simply have better options.

Good luck to him , maybe he will flourish in another side . I suspect he would need to drop a level or 2 though.

Decent bloke it seems though + will always remember the over head kick

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
The way that we set up under Chris Hughton to not lose games rather than to go and win them was never going to highlight Ali J's strengths.
This first season under Graham Potter has been all about playing a new style and tempo that everyone has bought into and has evolved as the season has developed.
It's been a huge gamble to play such a high risk passing game that could easily have seen us relegated. It now seems we may well have turned a corner by establishing the new playing ethos.

Before the suspension of the season Ali was just beginning to establish himself in the team and his future at the club was much brighter.
I have a sneaking suspicion that he will be involved again in the remaining games this season and will prove doubters wrong.

The club have enough statistical analysis to know just how much he contributes and how effective he is while on the field compared to others.
My own feeling is that he remains very much part of GP's plan.

By Christmas I reckon I'll be bouncing this post after Ali's proved what an attacking threat he's been for us in the first half of the 20/21 season.

Tweeting Seagull

Mar 27, 2018
That's clearly not what I'm saying.

I'm not too sure why 36 appearances keeps appearing as justification.

Mooy has made 24 appearances this season alone.
Now, as said, some of those 24 Ali's not been fit to lace Mooy's boots.
But even his biggest fans will say there's plenty in there which selection has raised an eyebrow.

Ali has made 8 appearances - 2 goals fact fans and #TeamSollyites.

You can’t ignore the bad and just focus on the good. On the whole Mooy has been a good plater this season, whereas upto those two goals and subsequently Jahanbakhsh has been below the required standard. The reason 36 appearances keeps getting mentioned is because it’s a lot. I think the only reason he got so many is because of his large transfer fee.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lets face it , he was absoliute toilet for ages at the start. Almost comically bad.

He cant be faulted for his attitude and when he finally hit theose couple goals and put in a couple of performances everyone hoped this was him coming good.

Problem is , it proved to just be that mini period that was not the norm and normal was soon back. Bad passes , lightweight , lack of pace etc.

He didnt go back to the comically bad form but he was a long way of adding the class that we need. We simply have better options.

Good luck to him , maybe he will flourish in another side . I suspect he would need to drop a level or 2 though.

Decent bloke it seems though + will always remember the over head kick
So you're saying from 01.01.20 we had better options?

The results would suggest otherwise.

As I've frequently said, I don't think Ali is the saviour, but in the absence of any other player stepping up, Ali being frozen out doesn't make sense.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The way that we set up under Chris Hughton to not lose games rather than to go and win them was never going to highlight Ali J's strengths.
This first season under Graham Potter has been all about playing a new style and tempo that everyone has bought into and has evolved as the season has developed.
It's been a huge gamble to play such a high risk passing game that could easily have seen us relegated. It now seems we may well have turned a corner by establishing the new playing ethos.

Before the suspension of the season Ali was just beginning to establish himself in the team and his future at the club was much brighter.
I have a sneaking suspicion that he will be involved again in the remaining games this season and will prove doubters wrong.

The club have enough statistical analysis to know just how much he contributes and how effective he is while on the field compared to others.
My own feeling is that he remains very much part of GP's plan.

By Christmas I reckon I'll be bouncing this post after Ali's proved what an attacking threat he's been for us in the first half of the 20/21 season.

Potter is certainly shuffling his hand since we’ve returned, but Ali J played 20mins as sub in our previous 3 games before lockdown. It’s as if once Potter decided he was going to be a bit more reserved, and I think that’s undeniable since the Watford game, Ali J hasnt suited us being able to revert to a attritional ‘thou shall not pass’ mentality. We still press and attack, but as away to Wolves, Sheff Utd, 2nd half against Leicester, first half to some degree against Arsenal, Potter has needed personnel who can roll their sleeves up and do what needs to be done. This was personified by Trossard at Leicester who after coming on was a man possessed winning the ball back and breaking down their attacks.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Lets face it , he was absoliute toilet for ages at the start. Almost comically bad

Comical Ali?

Having said that, I can’t help but like the bloke and hope he makes it with us

:goal:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here