Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
If we want to muddle along in 15th place then there's an argument for keeping AJ - he does score the odd goal and put in the odd decent cross.

However, if we wish to progress then we have to get more production in goals and assists from the midfield. Apart from Gross in our first Prem season, the creativity from midfield has been woeful. Own goals is our second highest scorer and we are only one striker injury away from a crisis.

On balance, I say we cut our losses and use the money to help fund a replacement.

If this is the reason Ali J goes then we are going to see a lot of players leaving. March, Izzy, Stephens, Mooy to name a few ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Cash in if we can recoup the majority of the original transfer fee. That is certainly the best business decision but will also be sad to see him go.

I reckon we’d take £5M+ add ons just to get one of our highest earners off our books

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
1) Why is it always an either/or situation? Why do people need to slag off one player to defend another.

2)I hadn't factored in the covid issue for why Ali J and Bernardo have been missing from the 20 man squads.

3) If we do sell Ali J, just think...in 98% of previous seasons we would have killed to have a player of his quality. Now we can keep him or sell him and it's no big deal. Even three or four years ago if we'd had a player of his quality and there were rumours he was leaving this place would have gone into meltdown.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well I’d argue that’s a reputable source because this is the account that gave us Davy Pröpper info.

Personally I’d be very sad to see him go. There must be a reason why he hasn’t featured in any of the squads so far I just hope it’s not because he’s been sold. So much to give.

Who is the source you're referring to, and what is the information?

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
I think everybody wants Ali J to do well. He works hard and his emotion on scoring his two goals was very good to see.

BUT

He's not particularly fast, he doesn't beat a man and although he has fizzed in a couple of decent crosses, he doesn't look a particularly great passer of the ball. Just another of our average-sized, average-paced midfield players. If we get a good offer, we ought to take it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If this is the reason Ali J goes then we are going to see a lot of players leaving. March, Izzy, Stephens, Mooy to name a few ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I take your point but I'd argue AJ doesn't give you any versatility. March can play winger or wing-back down either flank and take set-pieces, Mooy can play wide left or central, he can ping a pass while we presently need Stephens in central midfield because he is good at doing a containjng job which is what we need in a relegation fight.

I think Izzy was more consistent than AJ and I'd love to see him back but he's been out so long who knows?

AJ has one job and he hasn't done it very well in his 2 years to date.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think everybody wants Ali J to do well. He works hard and his emotion on scoring his two goals was very good to see.

BUT

He's not particularly fast, he doesn't beat a man and although he has fizzed in a couple of decent crosses, he doesn't look a particularly great passer of the ball. Just another of our average-sized, average-paced midfield players. If we get a good offer, we ought to take it.
There's plenty in that, but if we go with it the question still remains why's Ali the one who is left out.

He wasn't good at Bournemouth and had no right for even a place on the bench aftwards.

The same can't be said around New Year, esp when Mooy and Solly were stinking the place out, yet Ali's still nowhere to be seen.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
That missed March chance vs Palace still hurts. AJ would have tucked that away with aplomb.

Solly can’t cross , can’t shoot and has no skills to take fullbacks on , someone needs to tell him his future is at LB/LWB , cause he’s good defensively and Looks very good at LWB at the beginning of the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FF1

Aug 28, 2019
Jahanbakhsh did not play a minute of soccer for the first 15 or so games of the season. Most games he was not even picked to be on the bench. You can imagine what kind of psychological affect that can have on a player especially under a new manager. He has played 287 minutes since then. He has scored two goals and his amazing cross caused an own goal. So in 287 minutes of play time, he has basically scored 3 of our 33 goals this season. None of our other players come close to this minutes of play per goal average. And we all know about his great crosses into the box, especially the ones on the floor as our forwards are aerially challenged!!! I think most people want to get rid of him here because Potter does not play him, not because they don't like what they saw of him when he did play. Question is why doesn't Potter play him more??? Real puzzling.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Jahanbakhsh did not play a minute of soccer for the first 15 or so games of the season. Most games he was not even picked to be on the bench. You can imagine what kind of psychological affect that can have on a player especially under a new manager. He has played 287 minutes since then. He has scored two goals and his amazing cross caused an own goal. So in 287 minutes of play time, he has basically scored 3 of our 33 goals this season. None of our other players come close to this minutes of play per goal average. And we all know about his great crosses into the box, especially the ones on the floor as our forwards are aerially challenged!!! I think most people want to get rid of him here because Potter does not play him, not because they don't like what they saw of him when he did play. Question is why doesn't Potter play him more??? Real puzzling.

Another way to look at it is he has now been here almost two years and under two managers he has not forced his way into a regular slot in the first team so they are obviously not convinced he has something to offer regularly at this level. You have to remember minutes on the pitch is only part of the story these managers are working on the training ground with him every day and at the end of the week are not even seeing him worthy of a place in the match day squad which is telling.

That’s not to say he is a terrible player but he has not settled or thrived in English football at all and a return to the Dutch league is probably on the cards. Cannot fault his attitude and he has shown himself to be a top pro so for that I hope he gets moved on somewhere where he can settle.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX

Soccer!?

It's not puzzling at all, he hasn't made the squad yet since restart. That much is very clear, whether through previous illness or not up to levels required.

Macallister looks to be favoured and rightly so.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Can you enlighten us?

Not looking to be critical but it did always seem like Hughton was reluctant to play him. Obviously Potter hasn’t played him much either but would be interested to know if there were reasons why CH didn’t use him.

My opinion is that Hughton wanted his wingers to be part full back, and in this regard Ali was lacking. However, Potter seems more interested in his full backs being part winger.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here