Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’ll be sad to see him sold. It is very bizarre that neither he nor Bernardo have featured, but it is only two games since the season recommenced.

Has made a goal scoring impact against Bournemouth, Chelsea and Watford. I am somewhat mystified that he hasn’t featured very much :shrug:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
If we're to believe the club's scouting reports Hughton had 3 (three) years to speak up before Ali's arrival.

The whole club wanted him, right up till the moment he arrived.

If you buy a carpet that you're unsure of once it's fitted, you still walk on the bloody thing.
I think in his first season he tried to gradually introduce him and at one point seemed to be desperate to play him and for him to succeed. He was absolutely dreadful that season though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If we're to believe the club's scouting reports Hughton had 3 (three) years to speak up before Ali's arrival.

The whole club wanted him, right up till the moment he arrived.

If you buy a carpet that you're unsure of once it's fitted, you still walk on the bloody thing.

Hughton walked on the carpet a lot more that GP has done, people thought Chris had put the carpet down in the wrong room, that’s why it didn’t work. Graham’s tried it in a different room and it still doesn’t seem to work (any ideas of how to extend the metaphor to an overhead kick!?).

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Alireza Jahanbakhsh signs on a 5-year deal for a club record fee

There must be a reason why he hasn’t featured in any of the squads so far I just hope it’s not because he’s been sold. So much to give.

I’ve just got a feeling that it’s the same reason that Bernardo & Alzate have not made the squad.

We know that three Brighton players tested positive for Covid-19.

We know that the club won’t name them.

Rather than assuming Ali-J has been sold, my theory is that the players who tested positive for Covid-19 have been given extra recovery time.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....y/10/brighton-restart-covid-19-premier-league

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hughton had final say on all transfers apparently :shrug:

I imagine he probably did but the way it worked was we scouted options that could be signed for modest fees and salaries and that was the choice we had. We can’t really know if Locadia and Jahanbakhsh as examples were top of his shopping list. You also say he ruined our record signings; Ryan, Propper, Gross seem to be doing okay, only injury stopping Izquierdo still having an impact. Hughton signings Burn, Duffy, Montoya all still featuring. Not sure why people still looking to be overtly critical about him to be honest?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’ve just got a feeling that it’s the same reason that Bernardo & Alzate have not made the squad.

We know that some Brighton players tested positive for Covid-19.

Rather than assuming Ali-J has been sold, my theory is that the players who tested positive for Covid-19 have been given extra recovery time.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....y/10/brighton-restart-covid-19-premier-league

It’s as good a theory as any.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
He clearly struggled in his first season here, but since (eventually) coming into the team and his goal against Bournemouth, every time he’s played, particularly at home, he’s looked the player most able to deliver quality into the box.

There’s definitely a player in there. I’d not be surprised to see him sold, as he’s obviously far from first choice, but I think we’ll see him go on to thrive elsewhere.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Hughton ruined all our record signings, most record signings are straight in the first team and start to thrive. If he didn’t want them then speak up and save the money. This must of really pissed of Bloom.

Bullshit.

You know nothing regarding the goings on leading up to that signing and beyond.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
For sure he’s better than 1 goal solly March but is never given the chance so might as well let him go if can get 75% back of what was paid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Alireza Jahanbakhsh signs on a 5-year deal for a club record fee

Bullshit.

Can you enlighten us?

Not looking to be critical but it did always seem like Hughton was reluctant to play him. Obviously Potter hasn’t played him much either but would be interested to know if there were reasons why CH didn’t use him.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can you enlighten us?

Not looking to be critical but it did always seem like Hughton was reluctant to play him. Obviously Potter hasn’t played him much either but would be interested to know if there were reasons why CH didn’t use him.

He made 19 league appearances under Hughton, 25 in total and was injured some of the time. I thought he was given more than enough chances under Hughton.

Potter has played him 8 times and he’s largely been available. The evidence would suggest Hughton was more than generous with the playing time Ali got.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Can you enlighten us?

Code:

It serves no purpose now to realease that information but for people to claim Chris ruined him as a player is well wide of the mark.

They were told what standard a player he was and would be. He got no better or no worse.

He's a great finisher but creatively he was competing for a starting place against Solly and Izquierdo and Knockheart. All of whom are more creative players.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
I am a fan of Ali J so accept I may not be objective here but it is a puzzle why he seems to have disappered for now. I do think he was cominig good after a very difficult start. No criticism of CH but AJ was cleared not suited to that very defensive mindset. As has been said he is the player who seems able to deliver decent crosses which we sadly miss.

I do think there may be a covid issue which could be why no one is saying anything officially.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

We know that three Brighton players tested positive for Covid-19.

And given some of the research coming out about the longer term effects of covid-19 on physical health then perhaps, if your theory is correct, he's not yet back to full/match fitness.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hughton walked on the carpet a lot more that GP has done, people thought Chris had put the carpet down in the wrong room, that’s why it didn’t work. Graham’s tried it in a different room and it still doesn’t seem to work (any ideas of how to extend the metaphor to an overhead kick!?).
But the carpet does look great in that corner where the cat used to piss, before we had it put down.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I imagine he probably did but the way it worked was we scouted options that could be signed for modest fees and salaries and that was the choice we had. We can’t really know if Locadia and Jahanbakhsh as examples were top of his shopping list. You also say he ruined our record signings; Ryan, Propper, Gross seem to be doing okay, only injury stopping Izquierdo still having an impact. Hughton signings Burn, Duffy, Montoya all still featuring. Not sure why people still looking to be overtly critical about him to be honest?
I for one am not going to be over-critical of CH - indeed, I was one of those who wasn't at al impressed when we sacked him. I think what this post does illustrate is his increasing caution; in retrospect I can see this as a possible (likely) reason for his ultimate downfall.
Duffy came straight into the team and stayed there - but that was in the Championship.
Ryan, Propper and Gross went straight into our debut in the PL - at the time, due to retirement and injury, frankly there wasn't much choice!
Montoya was given time, but lost his place to Bruno.
CH never let Burn anywhere near the first team, except for three FA Cup matches.
Andone, Locadia and Jahanbakhsh - he really did seem reluctant to play them (although yes, I do realise Andone was injured much of the time). TBF though, none of them has been a success here.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I for one am not going to be over-critical of CH - indeed, I was one of those who wasn't at al impressed when we sacked him. I think what this post does illustrate is his increasing caution; in retrospect I can see this as a possible (likely) reason for his ultimate downfall.
Duffy came straight into the team and stayed there - but that was in the Championship.
Ryan, Propper and Gross went straight into our debut in the PL - at the time, due to retirement and injury, frankly there wasn't much choice!
CH never let Burn anywhere near the first team, except for three FA Cup matches.
Andone, Locadia and Jahanbakhsh - he really did seem reluctant to play them (although yes, I do realise Andone was injured much of the time). TBF though, none of them has been a success here.

Burn was viewed as a centre back, our strongest position. I don't think the rest were underused, they were given chances but Murray was scoring goals and eveytime it seemed right time for Andone he got injured. Both Locadia and Ali were given runs in the team, probably longer than their performances deserved

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
An excellent rebuttal.

I'll add the club was insistent we scouted Ali for 3 years.
CH went to see him, Mr Bloom went to see him, he was wanted.

With Andone the club saw and opportunity to wait 6 months and get him on the cheap

I don't have a feel for the Big Jur's deal, which I'd imagine is quite telling.

We delighted in the fact Hughton needs to trust and Hughtonise his players, because we trust CH.

Stories of yoof teamers having to train with the first team for months were applaused, as was taking them to experience away games.

That was life and on the whole we were happy.
But when the wheels came off that was CH's millstone legacy.

Although I'll hazard a guess GPott has seriously profited from it and is getting credit for Hughtons hard yards.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bullshit.

I do think you are a good poster and contribute a lot to NSC which is great - but this is whole 'I know the details but I can't tell you' stuff about Hughton is annoying. Either don't comment or provide some detail.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
And given some of the research coming out about the longer term effects of covid-19 on physical health then perhaps, if your theory is correct, he's not yet back to full/match fitness.

Indeed. I’d wager that the Covid-3 (whoever they are) are or were a minimum of 2 weeks behind the rest of the squad in terms of readiness for the resumption of the Premier League.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here