Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Tweeting Seagull

Mar 27, 2018
Why are you purposely misrepresenting what I'm writing?

Last season Ali played 1022 minutes.
This season it's just 287 mins.

By contrast Mooy has played 1800 mins, many justified, a fair few not.
Solly has played 800 minutes, more cards than assists, no goals and at fault for Arsenal's goal.

Purposefully misrepresenting? Pot kettle Black.

Jahanbakhsh has played under two managers of very different styles and in squad of differing competition for places and the constant is that despite his hard work and despite his large transfer fee, he remains fairly low down the pecking order. Why? We’ll just have to make our own minds up there. I know I have.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Purposefully misrepresenting? Pot kettle Black.

Jahanbakhsh has played under two managers of very different styles and in squad of differing competition for places and the constant is that despite his hard work and despite his large transfer fee, he remains fairly low down the pecking order. Why? We’ll just have to make our own minds up there. I know I have.

Trust GP judgement, hopefully we'll sell AJ and get something back from our 18m investment

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
You can’t ignore the bad and just focus on the good. On the whole Mooy has been a good plater this season, whereas upto those two goals and subsequently Jahanbakhsh has been below the required standard. The reason 36 appearances keeps getting mentioned is because it’s a lot. I think the only reason he got so many is because of his large transfer fee.

36 sounds like a lot, but can you take it purely on that number alone? How many of those were off the bench, were they in games that we were chasing or he could have impacted in a positive way?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I really hope Ali doesn't leave, but I've a suspicion that there is a high chance of him moving on.

Of course nothing can be finalised at this stage as we may need him in the run in.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
36 sounds like a lot, but can you take it purely on that number alone? How many of those were off the bench, were they in games that we were chasing or he could have impacted in a positive way?

I replied to that a few posts back.
Those 36 games amount to just 1300 minutes, over 1 3/4er seasons.

When compared to Mooy who has racked up 1800, ~(some exceptional, unplayable - others less so) minutes, in 3/4's of a season, it does sound a little hollow.

What gets me is within those '36 games' they're just 2's and 3's at a time, followed by long lay offs.

Now there's been times when those lay off have been completely justified.
But within that we have occasions where there's been an upturn in form but dropped.
Or form from others, falling off a cliff, not dropped.

He's clearly a lovely bloke.
We're to believe he keeps getting pep talks from the boss.
He is deemed to be 'wanted', but not used, I don't get it.

Much the same could be said of Bernie Inn a similar position and a player I rate very highly...

Whispering - more so than BDB.

Tweeting Seagull

Mar 27, 2018
I replied to that a few posts back.
Those 36 games amount to just 1300 minutes, over 1 3/4er seasons.

When compared to Mooy who has racked up 1800, ~(some exceptional, unplayable - others less so) minutes, in 3/4's of a season, it does sound a little hollow.

Whispering - more so than BDB.

Yes but Part of the reason his minutes per appearances is so low is because he kept getting brought off after starting. That’s the case in 80% of his league starts in fact, which I think is pretty damming.

Why? Probably because if we need a goal it’s unlikely a manager would turn to him. Harsh but true.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
I have always liked Ali J and think he could be a success but it seems that Potter does not rate him. If that is so given that AJ's attitude has always been so positive as confirmed by Potter himself sadly I think it would be in everyone's interest to let him go to a club where he is valued and has a bettet chace of regular football. It helps no one if we hold onto him just to avoid a loss on his transfer fee. It's not his fault we paid £17m.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The type of player he is requires a run of games, some form and most of all confidence. After the Chelsea equiliser he's should have had all 3.

All gone now. I'd just like to see some of the promise and ability used more in a Brighton shirt, we don't have a better wide right attacking player with a shot on him. IMO.

I'd really hate to see him move on and come back to tear us a new one, I think he's capable of it.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
So you're saying from 01.01.20 we had better options?

The results would suggest otherwise.

As I've frequently said, I don't think Ali is the saviour, but in the absence of any other player stepping up, Ali being frozen out doesn't make sense.

I agree with you Stat. There’s quite a few of us here who still believe in AJ.

Like you I’m baffled why he hasn’t even made the squad lately. The team? Sure, that’s subjective, we have a very competitive 11. But the way AJ has played this season suggests he’s got what it takes to be a match winner.

Someone made the theory that AJ and Alzate we’re recovering from COVID. Now that would make more sense.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
“ In response to the latest news, the Eindhovens Dagblad contacted Amir Hashemi, the agent of Brighton & Hove Albion attacker, and it appears that PSV has not yet made a concrete report. “Clubs have not yet officially informed us, as it is called. It is nice to hear that these names are interested in Alireza ”, said Hashemi about his client.”
“ We will look at that later. I certainly think that he can be a reinforcement for the Dutch top, ”says Hashemi.

[tweet]1277524186299338752[/tweet]

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
“The former AZ goal-getter is thinking about possible possibilities to return to the Dutch top after the coming match period, says his agent.”

[tweet]1277516676662210560[/tweet]

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Not sure if anyone has suggested this already, but we know 3 currently unnamed players contracted Covid-19 in the last couple of months.

3 players that would normally be in the squad - especially with the extended number of players:

Alzate, Bernardo, Jahanbakhsh.

Yet none of them have been around. It could be purely circumstantial, but interesting coincidence all the same.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
“The former AZ goal-getter is thinking about possible possibilities to return to the Dutch top after the coming match period, says his agent.”

Possible possibilities, as opposed to all those impossible possibilities. Interesting ???

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

But he then tweeted a picture of himself kissing the badge.

I don’t think you’d do that if you were about to hand in a transfer request.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Not sure if anyone has suggested this already, but we know 3 currently unnamed players contracted Covid-19 in the last couple of months.

3 players that would normally be in the squad - especially with the extended number of players:

Yet none of them have been around. It could be purely circumstantial, but interesting coincidence all the same.

Nail on head Frankie.

Still would not surprise me if an offer came in for him though at the end of the season. I am like most could not guess if a move would materialise out of this speculation, hope not I like Ali and think he has been unlucky with injuries and the best is yet to come.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Would also explain why Alzate had his op cancelled if he was diagnosed with COVID.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here