Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Release Six Players

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I think the Championship is a step too far at Kish's age, but I would love it if we could get him for a year. My favourite player during our PL years, and surely Chrissy Powell knows him well enough to have a good chance of landing him if we want him...

markw

Aug 28, 2009
I said it a few weeks ago on another thread, but my inside sources told me that if you knew nothing about the club and just saw all the 'keepers in training you'd assume that Poke was the the 1st choice and the others were back-up.

I was thinking the same thing at the kids open day training session, i was watching Sandaza's movement,touch and skills and thinking if you did not know who was the no 1 striker, then you would assume it was him.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
.... but so long as Ankergren stays fit then I don't think the goalkeeper position is a problem.

Really?

I suspect we'll see a lot more of the ball in our own penalty area in the Championship .... that means a lot more shitting yourself every time Casper decides whether he's going to come or stay, and if he decides to come, whether to punch or catch?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Casper fan, but admit it guys, he is prone to sometimes making you wish you'd brought a spare pare of undies to the match.
It wasn't that often in L1 .... but it might be a lot more often in CCC?
I would agree with you that Casper weak spot is his cross taking, but in the past couple of months,, I think he has vastly improved this part of his game. Its all down to confidence, and he seems to be coming and claiming a lot more at the moment

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I said it a few weeks ago on another thread, but my inside sources told me that if you knew nothing about the club and just saw all the 'keepers in training you'd assume that Poke was the the 1st choice and the others were back-up.

That is interesting. I saw him pre-season and he looked shaky to say the least. On Saturday he was keeper during the shooting warm-up. He does not seem to have that "goal-keeping presence" that good keepers seem to have. The one that says "I will not be beaten". He make some good saves, mixed up with ones he seemed to let go. Clearly Gus sees something he likes.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I think the Championship is a step too far at Kish's age, but I would love it if we could get him for a year. My favourite player during our PL years, and surely Chrissy Powell knows him well enough to have a good chance of landing him if we want him...

Well you know him. But if Powell plans to play in the way that suits him he is still quality.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I would agree with you that Casper weak spot is his cross taking, but in the past couple of months,, I think he has vastly improved this part of his game. Its all down to confidence, and he seems to be coming and claiming a lot more at the moment

He can do it. In the warm-ups he catches well. But Ninja is right about having to up that part of his game next season.

It is that downward punch that worries me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

He has said he will retire unless we give him another contract as he could cope with our style of play for 1 more year but not another teams are you going to follow our example next season.

Lurker

62 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
He can do it. In the warm-ups he catches well. But Ninja is right about having to up that part of his game next season.

It is that downward punch that worries me.

In the warm ups he doesn't have an army of people standing in front of him.
It's slightly easier to catch in those circumstances.

I think he's good enough .... but as you rightly say, he'll need to up his game in the higher league.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
In the warm ups he doesn't have an army of people standing in front of him.
It's slightly easier to catch in those circumstances.

Absolutely. Godden does sometimes stand in front to make it a little more awkward. It is just frustrating to know he has got a good pair of hands to see him flapping in a game. We have got a good defence clearly - but I have little confidence at set-pieces against us. And next year the opposition will be bigger, stronger, and with better delivery. Another reason for hanging onto Glenn.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
He has said he will retire unless we give him another contract as he could cope with our style of play for 1 more year but not another teams are you going to follow our example next season.

That's what we are all hoping. I follow baseball, and whenever a team wins the World Series, most of the teams the next season try to replicate the winners' tactics/set-up. League One teams would be foolish to not try to copy Brighton's style of play next season...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
intersting that Leeds didnt reckon Ankeran was good enough for the Championship.

Personally I think we need a goalkeeper, right fullback, another center back, two midfielders and a forward.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
I might have missed something, but I thought Tommy Elphick was also out of contract in the summer. No mention of him anywhere! :shrug:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
intersting that Leeds didnt reckon Ankeran was good enough for the Championship.

Personally I think we need a goalkeeper, right fullback, another center back, two midfielders and a forward.

Hmm, we need cover at right full back, a starting centre back, one, possibly two new strikers, midfield if there's better than we have already (especially if Norwich make us an offer we can't refuse for EB) then yes definitely. As things stand I am quite happy with midfield but if on the off chance that Kazanga is available then yes please however as he's so wanted here I reckon Pardue will want to hold on to him. Oh yes and I agree, we do need a keeper but the fact that we have retained Poke tells me that Gus doesn't.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
After a shaky start, Ankergen has been brilliant and will surely start next season. We could do with signing some players who are tall as we are such a small team. We need full-backs for competition and another centre half. In midfield, a wise old head and Lua Lua and up front 3 new strikers, if Murray goes.

And let us not forget that it wasn't long ago when that the retained/released list wouldn't be known until late May or even June so good to see the club cracking on with preparations for next season now.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I like you!!

Great post and agree with most of it, but whilst I 100% agree about Barnes being the problem, I dont agree with your views on Brezovan. Brilliant back up keeper for our level. Again I can't pass views on Poke (one gane for a keeper is no where near enough to judge them on), but highly rate Ankergren, I think big Brezs condifence took a battering at Stoke, but I think hes ample back up for the big Dane.

Couldn't agree more on Barnes. I think he is definately the weak link of the side, but people are blinded by his goal tally, when if we had a decent striker like Bristol Rs Hoskins, Peter Wards record would be no more, and if Bristol Rovers had had Barnes instead, they'd have been first to get relagated by a country mile.

Don't drag me into your anti-Barnes campaign, I am not on your side about that. At all. You cut off my post so it would suit your reply. I think Barnes has put Holroyd into perspective, I don't think Barnes is as good technically yet, but he has scored 19 goals and that's not luck, that's through football intelligence and being in the right place at the right time to make a difference. It's the art of goalscoring, and Holroyd hasn't demonstrated that which is why he has gone, and Barnes is a key striker.

As for Brezovan, I have seen more of him than most on here having watched him at Swindon too and though this Brighton team and set up is miles ahead of the one he was involved with at Swindon, the same problem remains here as he had there, which led to them releasing him let's not forget. He is shaky on crosses and he isn't confident with the ball at his feet. He has improved under Gus, and Tony Godden, but he doesn't fill me with confidence because I've seen too much of him now to change my opinion of him.

I hope you still like me, but if you try and misquote me to back up your anti-Barnes rantings again, I won't like you. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here