Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Release Six Players

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Feel a bit sorry for Navarro, he got a season long injury and now has to prove himself again. People go on about players showing loyalty to the club but this shows that loyalty is a two way thing.
:nono: I can understand your posts on the Ashley Barnes thread better now. Absolutely f***ing clueless:D

Poyet as said he is welcome to come back pre-season and prove himself, and no hard feelings if he goes elsewhere.

Off course he has to prove himself. Give one good reason why he shouldn't?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Sorry but why the f*** are we offering Poke another contract ?

With Brezovan and Ankergren both ahead of him and Mitch Walker coming through, do we really need to be wasting our wages on somebody who isn't going to play?

I'd have liked to see more of Baz but it's a shame and I hope carrys on playing English football.

This,This and This

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

With Brezovan and Ankergren both ahead of him and Mitch Walker coming through, do we really need to be wasting our wages on somebody who isn't going to play?

There was a comment recently that if you see the keepers in training you would think Poke was No1. There are a great many very good pro footballers who make a tidy living while getting nowhere near the first team and more of them the higher you go in the leagues so why wouldn't he accept it? As for Walker............ is he still "coming through"? Or has his progress stalled? We don't know but Gus does.

Looks nailed-on we will start in the Championship with the keepers we have so no need to speculate on transfers in that area.

No surprise with Navs - I think we might go for Peter Leven or the Dundee Utd pair and then - if he decides to come back pre-season - Navs would potentially be in a similar position to Poke.

None of the other departures are anything more or less than was expected although I'm really chuffed for Jamie Smith getting another chance - I liken him to Sparrow in his ability to get ahead of the ball from midfield and becuase of injuries to both we have missed out on a few extra goals from both this season. I would've liked to see Kish maybe get a year but whatever that journey home was for it possibly made the difference. I'm sure that one of our signings will be another seasoned pro to help bring youngsters through.

Last edited:

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Cant see Holroyd or Sandaza being on the bench on Saturday then? Agdestein for a run out?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Tunnicliffe and Mcnulty still have another year each yes.

Tunni will surely be the makeweight in the deal that brings us Hoskins.
Interesting on the Bristol Rovers site that they are talking Hoskins fee down, valuing him at between £250K and £450K (they think Scunthorpe might sign him as he played for Alan Knill at Rotherham?) but also saying they would love to keep Tunni. Interesting too that although he was injured a fortnight ago he doesn't appear to have come back here for therapy (as McNulty has or LuaLua back to Toon etc) but has stayed with the Gas. Maybe reading too much into it but sounds like a deal done to me.................?

I hope McNulty will now stay and challenge Painter. Be interesting to see just how forgiving Gus might be.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield

I'd have liked to see more of Baz but it's a shame and I hope carrys on playing English football.
No doubt if Brezovan or/and Ankergren got injured and we had no cover, you'd be the first to moan why a Championship club doesn't have three keepers!! This season we had had probaBLY the best or close to the best number one, probably the best back up keeper, and no doubt in Poke the best number three. To answer your first point, Probably that's why the f*** we are offering Poke another contract.... and theres no need to be sorry!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Tunni will surely be the makeweight in the deal that brings us Hoskins.
Interesting on the Bristol Rovers site that they are talking Hoskins fee down, valuing him at between £250K and £450K (they think Scunthorpe might sign him as he played for Alan Knill at Rotherham?) but also saying they would love to keep Tunni. Interesting too that although he was injured a fortnight ago he doesn't appear to have come back here for therapy (as McNulty has or LuaLua back to Toon etc) but has stayed with the Gas. Maybe reading too much into it but sounds like a deal done to me.................?
Or it's only a minor injury, or they have facilities as good as us.

Glad to hear Jamie Smith is staying, I'd have liked to see more of him this season. Nothing else really surprising except maybe Poke, I wonder what this means for Walker who seemed to be regarded very highly.

I think Kish might have been useful, jsut to have around (like Hart this season), and maybe to come off the bench and keep things calm late in games.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I had a feeling these were the six, who weren't going to be offered a new deal. Thank you Fran, for the goal against Oldham which put us top of the league. Kish might get a coaching role of some kind......
I dont understand these coaching role remarks (if you are talking about us). People have been saying the same about Kuipers and Gary HArt. The club has moved forwasrd and will offer coaching roles to decent coaches, not just a player would has retired or been released.

We now want top coaches if we are to push on and attrat the top players, not just someone who ised to play for us for a few years

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Just frees up some money for Lua-Lua I think.......

Good to see that Gus is concentrating on reviewing his squad for next season instead of concentrating on trying to get a premiership job ( remember Adams M. with Dave Bassett and Tinker Taylor II contracts anyone ? )

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
:nono: I can understand your posts on the Ashley Barnes thread better now. Absolutely f***ing clueless:D

Poyet as said he is welcome to come back pre-season and prove himself, and no hard feelings if he goes elsewhere.

Off course he has to prove himself. Give one good reason why he shouldn't?

Being insulted by you can be regarded as a compliment, most people consider you an idiot, I'm just one of them.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Is it really seven players given that Navarro has not been offered a contract?

This roughly ties up with TB's comment that we are looking to sign 6-7 for next season.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Being insulted by you can be regarded as a compliment, most people consider you an idiot, I'm just one of them.

Hate to say it Frank, but I'm with Phil on this one in terms of loyalty.

Disagree with him being so rude about it though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Nothing suprising on those being released much as everybody expected. Would think that Poke will be offered peanuts and be above Walker in the line up for a place. Kish said he would retire unless we offered him another contract as he couldnt play for anybody else other than us with our style of play. 6 out 6 to come in?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Nothing suprising on those being released much as everybody expected. Would think that Poke will be offered peanuts and be above Walker in the line up for a place. Kish said he would retire unless we offered him another contract as he couldnt play for anybody else other than us with our style of play. 6 out 6 to come in?

I don't think it will free up much wages though, none of them would have been on big bucks, so unlikely to pay for more than 1-1.5 CCC standard players.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that TB is aware of that just a cosmetic cost cutting of players who stand no chance of getting in the 1st team squad. Give their combined wages to Murray:lol:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Hate to say it Frank, but I'm with Phil on this one in terms of loyalty.

Disagree with him being so rude about it though.

The intention to try to show some people that when a player like Murray or Bennett wants out for money they are not showing a lack of loyalty to the club but in fact doing what the vast majority of people in any walk do, looking after number one. In the same way Navarro got injured playing for us and now has to fight for a contract. I'm not blaming anybody I merely said I felt sorry for him as this issue of loyalty works both ways. I have strong suspicion that Jim McNulty would have also been freed had he not had another year on his contract. The issue is that it's no good moaning about loyalty of players as it works both ways.

Of course Mr Burns' comments are not untypical but also a lot more polite than some of his ripostes.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I dont understand these coaching role remarks (if you are talking about us). People have been saying the same about Kuipers and Gary HArt. The club has moved forwasrd and will offer coaching roles to decent coaches, not just a player would has retired or been released.

We now want top coaches if we are to push on and attrat the top players, not just someone who ised to play for us for a few years

OGH went for a coaching course a couple of weeks a go. Kish said he was considering retireing at the end of the season. So why can't they get a coaching role and stay in the game?!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Okay. Good to know you can speak for most people.

I would say though judging by your comments in a couple of threads lately, including this one, people will be able to make there own minds up.

Still be interested to see why you think he shouldn't need to prove himself though?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The intention to try to show some people that when a player like Murray or Bennett wants out for money they are not showing a lack of loyalty to the club but in fact doing what the vast majority of people in any walk do, looking after number one. In the same way Navarro got injured playing for us and now has to fight for a contract. I'm not blaming anybody I merely said I felt sorry for him as this issue of loyalty works both ways. I have strong suspicion that Jim McNulty would have also been freed had he not had another year on his contract. The issue is that it's no good moaning about loyalty of players as it works both ways.

Of course Mr Burns' comments are not untypical but also a lot more polite than some of his ripostes.

I understand where you are coming from.

I presume that Gus has some doubts about whether Navarro has fully recovered from his cruciate injury, and wants to see him in pre-season training to establish whether he has lost any bite or pace.

That seems reasonable enough to me.

A few years ago Dean Blackwell had to retire, but was offered a contract by the Albion because Steve Coppell and Dick Knight had verbally intimated that they would sign him for another season. I thought at the time it was a pretty decent thing to do, and reflected well on the individuals concerned, but others thought it was a waste of money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here