Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Release Six Players

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Don't drag me into your anti-Barnes campaign, I am not on your side about that. At all. You cut off my post so it would suit your reply. I think Barnes has put Holroyd into perspective, I don't think Barnes is as good technically yet, but he has scored 19 goals and that's not luck, that's through football intelligence and being in the right place at the right time to make a difference. It's the art of goalscoring, and Holroyd hasn't demonstrated that which is why he has gone, and Barnes is a key striker.

As for Brezovan, I have seen more of him than most on here having watched him at Swindon too and though this Brighton team and set up is miles ahead of the one he was involved with at Swindon, the same problem remains here as he had there, which led to them releasing him let's not forget. He is shaky on crosses and he isn't confident with the ball at his feet. He has improved under Gus, and Tony Godden, but he doesn't fill me with confidence because I've seen too much of him now to change my opinion of him.

I hope you still like me, but if you try and misquote me to back up your anti-Barnes rantings again, I won't like you. :)

His anti Barnes ramblings only continue because he can't admit that he is wrong or he is just an attention seeker. Simple as.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Really?

I suspect we'll see a lot more of the ball in our own penalty area in the Championship .... that means a lot more shitting yourself every time Casper decides whether he's going to come or stay, and if he decides to come, whether to punch or catch?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Casper fan, but admit it guys, he is prone to sometimes making you wish you'd brought a spare pare of undies to the match.
It wasn't that often in L1 .... but it might be a lot more often in CCC?

Suprisingly, I don't "shit" myself when the ball comes into our box. Casper's only weakness is crosses into the box, fine. We know that, and our opposition know that too. But it's better to know he isn't confident and be prepared to deal with it than not know if he's going to come and catch it, or if he won't. It means Greer and his new partner for next season can make sure they know it's their ball to deal with. Ankergren isn't perfect, but I'm not one of these people who want to criticise him for having a flaw. He is important to our team, and that's what matters.

That said, if Gus does happen to find a goalkeeper who can dominate his box, kick well with both feet, be confident receiving back passes and being our sweeper, then go ahead and sign him! But when you consider how many players the majority of us think we need this season, there isn't a bottomless pit of money to play with. I wouldn't be too worried going into next season with the goalkeeping situation as it currently is, providing we've strengthened in other more pressing areas.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
His anti Barnes ramblings only continue because he can't admit that he is wrong or he is just an attention seeker. Simple as.

I don't agree with that, I've read alot of the thread and he gets a lot of stick, gives a lot back aswell, but he's got an opinion. I can understand why he wouldn't like Barnes, or why people in general wouldn't like him. He isn't a finished article yet, he is still improving. The reason I like him is that his attitude appears to be spot on, he works hard for the team and he sacrifices himself aswell, how often did we see him drop out to the left this season? And to the right? He worked for the team and sometimes that meant he wasn't playing where is the most effective so he didn't show up as much, and that's where the bulk of the criticism comes from. I don't have a problem with Mr Burns for not liking Barnes, that's his opinion. I just don't agree with it.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I don't agree with that, I've read alot of the thread and he gets a lot of stick, gives a lot back aswell, but he's got an opinion. I can understand why he wouldn't like Barnes, or why people in general wouldn't like him. He isn't a finished article yet, he is still improving. The reason I like him is that his attitude appears to be spot on, he works hard for the team and he sacrifices himself aswell, how often did we see him drop out to the left this season? And to the right? He worked for the team and sometimes that meant he wasn't playing where is the most effective so he didn't show up as much, and that's where the bulk of the criticism comes from. I don't have a problem with Mr Burns for not liking Barnes, that's his opinion. I just don't agree with it.

I don't have a problem with him. I just think it's ridiculous that anyone can say Barnes is 'not nearly good enough for us' when he's scored the most goals per game of any of our strikers and Gus clearly believes he is good enough for us otherwise he wouldn't play him, and at the end of the day it's his decision which counts. I agree he is not the finished article, but anyone moaning about him for that amount of time is just strange

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I don't have a problem with him. I just think it's ridiculous that anyone can say Barnes is 'not nearly good enough for us' when he's scored the most goals per game of any of our strikers and Gus clearly believes he is good enough for us otherwise he wouldn't play him, and at the end of the day it's his decision which counts. I agree he is not the finished article, but anyone moaning about him for that amount of time is just strange

No-one disagrees it is Gus' decision which counts, but you're allowed an opinion, however strong it is. I don't find it strange though, Mr Burns seems very passionate about the club and that's all that matters to me, personally. We all hear opinions at matches which we think are complete rubbish, this is no different, it's just more drawn out.

What I found more strange was the bloke next to me at the Huddersfield game who had a passionate hatred for Gordon Greer. I challenged him on it, and he was unrelentingly unimpressed by a player who, I think, has made the difference this season.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
No-one disagrees it is Gus' decision which counts, but you're allowed an opinion, however strong it is. I don't find it strange though, Mr Burns seems very passionate about the club and that's all that matters to me, personally. We all hear opinions at matches which we think are complete rubbish, this is no different, it's just more drawn out.

What I found more strange was the bloke next to me at the Huddersfield game who had a passionate hatred for Gordon Greer. I challenged him on it, and he was unrelentingly unimpressed by a player who, I think, has made the difference this season.

I know you're allowed an opinion, but to let a thread run on for that long is just stupid. Fair enough it is probably a lot to do with the people who bounce it, but to criticize a player that much makes me think he almost wants him to fail

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I know you're allowed an opinion, but to let a thread run on for that long is just stupid. Fair enough it is probably a lot to do with the people who bounce it, but to criticize a player that much makes me think he almost wants him to fail

I think to a certain extent the bouncers have made what was already an extreme opinion even more extreme, everytime it comes back it's like prodding the raging bull... so to speak.

It is quite funny though. :lolol:

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
I dont understand these coaching role remarks (if you are talking about us). People have been saying the same about Kuipers and Gary HArt. The club has moved forwasrd and will offer coaching roles to decent coaches, not just a player would has retired or been released.

We now want top coaches if we are to push on and attrat the top players, not just someone who ised to play for us for a few years

This is where Mr. Burns earns my respect - Pragmatism is progress! N'est pas?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Don't drag me into your anti-Barnes campaign, I am not on your side about that. At all. You cut off my post so it would suit your reply. I think Barnes has put Holroyd into perspective, I don't think Barnes is as good technically yet, but he has scored 19 goals and that's not luck, that's through football intelligence and being in the right place at the right time to make a difference. It's the art of goalscoring, and Holroyd hasn't demonstrated that which is why he has gone, and Barnes is a key striker.

As for Brezovan, I have seen more of him than most on here having watched him at Swindon too and though this Brighton team and set up is miles ahead of the one he was involved with at Swindon, the same problem remains here as he had there, which led to them releasing him let's not forget. He is shaky on crosses and he isn't confident with the ball at his feet. He has improved under Gus, and Tony Godden, but he doesn't fill me with confidence because I've seen too much of him now to change my opinion of him.

I hope you still like me, but if you try and misquote me to back up your anti-Barnes rantings again, I won't like you. :)
Chill out Winston, I was only having a laugh. I didn't misquote you by the way, it was exactly as you typed it, but I know where you are coming from and sorry if I offended you, but it was tongue in cheek.

Didnt realise Brezovan was shaky at crosses at Swindon, can't really see how a 6ft 12 keeper can be shaky at crosses. Still think he's good enough back up, but Ankergren is miles ahead number one for me

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Wrong thread Samuel. You're a bit like El Pres. Same old line over and over again. I can admit I'm wrong, have done a few times on here. But in this case I don't think I am, so why would I admit I'm wrong? If I was an attention seeker, I'll seek attention in more than the Barnes thread. So stop with teh cliches and change the record!

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Wrong thread Samuel. You're a bit like El Pres. Same old line over and over again. I can admit I'm wrong, have done a few times on here. But in this case I don't think I am, so why would I admit I'm wrong? If I was an attention seeker, I'll seek attention in more than the Barnes thread. So stop with teh cliches and change the record!

Same old line over and over again? In fact, I've never mentioned that your are an attention seeker, or afraid to admit you're wrong but if it makes you feel better...

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Doesn't surprise me that Baz, Batti and Sandaza have gone, as Art said I would have kept Kish for another year.

Problem was Kish was completely honest and transparent and did inform Gus that this would be his last season and he has stuck to his word. What was his pro-longed visit to his native country about, it was quoted for family reasons, was that house hunting or family medical reasons. Still, I'm sure Gus having been given advanced notice has it covered. Thank you Kish and "Good Luck" for the future

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Gus has got these all spot on, just as Summer 2010 (no regrets by us).

Wood & Elphick are different scenarios to the 6 out of contracts:

I really hope Wood isn't brought back. Will get no joy against better defenders and more athletic opponents.

And feel Gradel, Bothroyd, Bellamy, Becchio, Ambrose, Lambert, & many others ... will destroy Elphick, unfortunately as he loves the Club and is local.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here