Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Release Six Players

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
OGH went for a coaching course a couple of weeks a go. Kish said he was considering retireing at the end of the season. So why can't they get a coaching role and stay in the game?!
No reason. But as I said, when people are taking about them, its implied that they should be given coaches roles with us. And I dont think they should. We will go for the best coaches, not just ex-players of the club.

But no reason why they should go into coaching elsewhere, and bloody good luck to them.

We have one ex-player in Charlie Oatway on the coaching staff, and I don't see how we will top him from the playing ranks. We just don't need any more ex-players imo just because their playing contract run out.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
The intention to try to show some people that when a player like Murray or Bennett wants out for money they are not showing a lack of loyalty to the club but in fact doing what the vast majority of people in any walk do, looking after number one. In the same way Navarro got injured playing for us and now has to fight for a contract. I'm not blaming anybody I merely said I felt sorry for him as this issue of loyalty works both ways. I have strong suspicion that Jim McNulty would have also been freed had he not had another year on his contract. The issue is that it's no good moaning about loyalty of players as it works both ways.

Of course Mr Burns' comments are not untypical but also a lot more polite than some of his ripostes.
I would have no problem with Murray or Bennett left us for more money. Good luck to them. Why should they stay here, when they can earn better money elsewhere. THat's football. Anone who gets excited and starts bashing them for doing do are jealous idiots IMO.

I would think though Murray in particualr would be a bit silly to leave us at the moment for a grand or two a week more. If he beleives in his ability, he should sign for 2 years and after one, if he is a success in the championship, then asked for big bucks, which he would get from us or another club. If he went now I could see he struggling to make an impact at another championship club, and probably fading away into someones reserves and then back down the league on a lot less money.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I understand where you are coming from.

I presume that Gus has some doubts about whether Navarro has fully recovered from his cruciate injury, and wants to see him in pre-season training to establish whether he has lost any bite or pace.

That seems reasonable enough to me.

A few years ago Dean Blackwell had to retire, but was offered a contract by the Albion because Steve Coppell and Dick Knight had verbally intimated that they would sign him for another season. I thought at the time it was a pretty decent thing to do, and reflected well on the individuals concerned, but others thought it was a waste of money.

I agree with what you say, the main point I was trying to make is that players get accused of disloyalty simply because the chase a better wage though. Disloyal players I can think of are the likes of Mickey Thomas and yes little Leon (who's now left Coleraine). I don't consider Elliot Bennett or Glen Murray (or even Dean Hammond for that matter) disloyal, just individuals trying to make as much as they can while they can, pretty much like anybody else. I do feel sorry for Navarro though, hope he does get back.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Pleased that Smith has been offered a new deal.
No surprises with the released players, they've all had their chances and not taken them (Kish excepted).
Poke is the strange decision.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I agree with what you say, the main point I was trying to make is that players get accused of disloyalty simply because the chase a better wage though. Disloyal players I can think of are the likes of Mickey Thomas and yes little Leon (who's now left Coleraine). I don't consider Elliot Bennett or Glen Murray (or even Dean Hammond for that matter) disloyal, just individuals trying to make as much as they can while they can, pretty much like anybody else. I do feel sorry for Navarro though, hope he does get back.

Leon is fairly dislikeable on a number of levels. He has paid a price for his behaviour. Micky Thomas never wanted to sign for us, Everton were looking to kick him out, and we did not do our homework on him.

http://bit.ly/mUp5ey

It would be great if Navarro gets back, but Gus wants evidence, and he's the number one. From posts on NSC the vast majority of fans would be sad to see EB and Muzza go, but understand that money does count, and in EB's case, the chance to play in the Premiership too is a big attraction.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well, I've been receiving criticism all over the place this season for my opinions on goalkeepers. Personally, I've never seen Poke play so I won't pass any judgement on him but I don't like Brezovan as a goalkeeper and I was hoping we'd sign a more established #1. That looks unlikely now, but so long as Ankergren stays fit then I don't think the goalkeeper position is a problem.

Kishishev I agree with releasing, because from a first team football perspetive, I think his best is past him. But there was always more to it than that with Kishishev, I personally think that you can put alot of the improvement in Bridcutt and in Dicker, to a lesser extent, down to the help, guidance and coaching of Kish. His input has probably been invaluable behind the scenes this season and I wouldn't be suprised if he did get involved with the coaching side of the game with us in the not too distant future. I just echo the majority of other people there.

Holroyd is a strange one for me. I don't think he's competely useless, I just feel sorry for him. Maybe if he'd played with Murray it would have been a bit different but playing up front alone against MK Dons at the end of last season was never going to tell us anything positive about him, and nor was playing with Barnes. But I think Barnes has been the problem, Holroyd looked better technically to me but Barnes seems to have a better football brain in terms of knowing how to get himself involved in the game. I doubt Holroyd will struggle to find a new club, especially as a free signing. I think he'll do a Craig Davies if he goes to league 2.

Baz and Battipiedi were signings made before we realised we were going to be brilliant this season. I think if we'd signed the likes of Ankergren and Greer earlier, we wouldn't have signed either of the Argies. Maybe that's a bit harsh, but they were never going to be involved much as soon as we realised that actually, we could very well go up this season. They were development projects which we outgrew very quickly. I don't mean to be disrespectful to either of them, I think that's just how it worked out. I hope they stay in English football, and find a club who have the time and the need to develop them.

Fran Sandaza. :lolol: I'm glad he's being released from a football perspective, but I hope he too finds himself a new club. Never going to be my kind of player.

As for Glenn Murray, I've loved him from his volley against Crewe. I don't want the great Northerner drifting off to a new club, but if he does, I've no doubt we'll replace him and I've no doubt I'll always have fondness for him. Unless he joins Palace and becomes a pantomime villain. But that could be fun too.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Poke is the strange decision.

He is supposed to be the best keeper in training. I think he could well be our future number 1 keeper but confidence got severely knocked during pre-season and the cup game he played in.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He is supposed to be the best keeper in training. I think he could well be our future number 1 keeper but confidence got severely knocked during pre-season and the cup game he played in.

I did see him at the Northampton game and he was at fault. Hope he bounces back.

bouncing_ad.jpg

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
As Gus said about Navarro 'we are not a charity'

Actually what it says in the article is slightly different.

"I have offered him the opportunity to come back and join us for pre-season, but have made it clear to him that it is not charity"

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I am a little suprised about Smith he must be on very low wages as I couldn't see any good in him for Div 1 so no hope for the championship.

Well no-one has seen much of Smith, as his opportunities have been limited, but he was excellent at Swindon on the opening day, and (along with Murray) totally changed the game when he came on at Southampton.

I see pleanty of promise in him, and Gus clealy does too. Best of luck to the lad.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Well, I've been receiving criticism all over the place this season for my opinions on goalkeepers. Personally, I've never seen Poke play so I won't pass any judgement on him but I don't like Brezovan as a goalkeeper and I was hoping we'd sign a more established #1. That looks unlikely now, but so long as Ankergren stays fit then I don't think the goalkeeper position is a problem.

Holroyd is a strange one for me. I don't think he's competely useless, I just feel sorry for him. Maybe if he'd played with Murray it would have been a bit different but playing up front alone against MK Dons at the end of last season was never going to tell us anything positive about him, and nor was playing with Barnes. But I think Barnes has been the problem,
I like you!!

Great post and agree with most of it, but whilst I 100% agree about Barnes being the problem, I dont agree with your views on Brezovan. Brilliant back up keeper for our level. Again I can't pass views on Poke (one gane for a keeper is no where near enough to judge them on), but highly rate Ankergren, I think big Brezs condifence took a battering at Stoke, but I think hes ample back up for the big Dane.

Couldn't agree more on Barnes. I think he is definately the weak link of the side, but people are blinded by his goal tally, when if we had a decent striker like Bristol Rs Hoskins, Peter Wards record would be no more, and if Bristol Rovers had had Barnes instead, they'd have been first to get relagated by a country mile.

Lurker

62 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
.... but so long as Ankergren stays fit then I don't think the goalkeeper position is a problem.

Really?

I suspect we'll see a lot more of the ball in our own penalty area in the Championship .... that means a lot more shitting yourself every time Casper decides whether he's going to come or stay, and if he decides to come, whether to punch or catch?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Casper fan, but admit it guys, he is prone to sometimes making you wish you'd brought a spare pare of undies to the match.
It wasn't that often in L1 .... but it might be a lot more often in CCC?

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Boils down to the same he must prove his worth before being given a new contract.

I think you've missed the point. Your misquote provides a harsher, more negative impression about the general attitude of the club whereas what is actually in the article is a positive " we're not doing this out of pity" kind of a statement

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

He must be doing something right because he hasn't impressed me at all when I've seen him play.
In Gus we trust though.

Lurker

62 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
No surprise with Navs - I think we might go for Peter Leven or the Dundee Utd pair and then - if he decides to come back pre-season - Navs would potentially be in a similar position to Poke.

But that would give us 5 goalies?
Do we need 5 goalies?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here