Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Have A Bad Week Shock Horror

JonC

Oct 18, 2004
Stinky Kat said:
Crewe were good. But the stat that stands out after the result is a crowd of only 6100. I know Crewe sent back 350 tickets very late, but that still leave approx 350 seat empty. Are they season ticket holders who dont fancy watching the lesser clubs or are they tickets the club cannot sell? Worrying if its the later.

On a positive, if we are very lucky we may get West Ham on an off da, Currie was superb on Saturday and Michel is one of the best keepers in the league - lets hope he keeps the number 1 shirt as Robets is not as good an all round keeper

I tries to stay away but felt I had to say something to defend our fans.

We only got sent 303 tickets. Sold out halfway through last week. I know of 2 people who tried to get tickets but couldn't. If the ground didn't sell out, it wasn't our fault.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Easy 10 said:
Agreed. If we're relegated this time, I think we will stay relegated. The number of players we have out of contract next summer is frightening. Lob the manager into that bracket as well (who has already made no bones about the fact that he's not interested in managing in D2), and the worst case scenario could see Bob Booker in charge of what almost amounts to a youth team.

Doesn't bear thinking about really.

Help help wheres beachy head - just wish the board would show some flexibility on the proven striker issue (waits to get flamed again)

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Has it not occurred to you that the 'proven striker' we need might simply not be available at the money we can afford to spend. There isn't exactly a vast pool of talent out there waiting to be snapped up, unless you want to throw stupid amounts of money about. I'm quite happy that we are not panicking into making an expensive short term decision which could threaten the long term future of the club. With the possibility of an early gen election (which would add further delay to Falmer) DK and MM have to be very sure that they're spending any money the right way. OK, its been three defeats in a row, but we're still 4 points above the drop zone.

Funny as it sounds, I thought Saturday's game was one of the best I've seen at Withdean in some time. Both sides concentrated on playing football and at times it was hard to tell that the ref was even on the park. Dean Ashton looked quick and useful for Crewe (though it seems that most strikers in this division look good when being 'marked' by Danny Cullip). Knight played well and Currie had one of his best games so far. Just a shame we seem to be down to the bare bones at the moment

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm surprised many people seem to think Saturday's performance wasn't too bad.

To me, if you go 2-0 down and get the feeling it's gonna turn ugly then it's been a shit performance. And so it proved. Had it not been for Kuipers it could have been 5 or 6. They certainly should have been 4-0 up before we got our consolation goal.

I believe we can turn it around, but McGhee needs to start wheeler-dealing. I don't know what's happened to Harding since Everton and the Under-21 thing started, but he's been shit.

Get rid of him, possibly loan out a spare midfielder and let's get one or two players in.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hmmm, my two cents....

Saturday was hardly vintage stuff, but it never fails to surprise me how many people start to bite when things aren't going well.

(1) With the financial status we have, Mark McGhee performed a miracle, no less, in getting us promoted last season. Swindon, Bristol City, Tranmere, Sheffield Wednesday, Port Vale, even Hartlepool, FFS, are on a sounder financial footing than us, yet somehow when it came to the shake up, all of them finished the season looking up at the Albion thinking "bollocks, how did that happen?".

(2) Having got promoted, every single expert in the football world had us as dead certs to go down quicker than Gillian Taylforth in a country lay-by, therefore even our current position of fourth from bottom represents over-achievement in some sense.

(3) Last time we were at this level, I seem to recall we were probably on 4 points, or thereabouts, at this point, and looking more doomed than a turkey on Christmas Eve. Again, where we are now represents progress of sorts.

All of the above points to the inescapable fact that, whatever delusions some people may be harbouring about comfy mid table finishes, WE ARE GOING TO LOSE A LOT MORE GAMES THAN WE WIN THIS SEASON! Fact, as David Brent would say.

Yes, that's not easy to take, but I'd certainly rather be losing to teams like Sunderland and than floating anonymously in the middle of League One like we surely would be had Virgo not sent Andy King and his collection of prized Havanas wailing tearfully back to Deliverance-country.

If we survive this year with the very last kick of the very last game against Ipswich, I personally will be dancing around the streets of Withdean (silently of course, so as not to violate the badger related noise restrictions or Sunday barbecues) and thanking Mark McGhee for a job BRILLIANTLY done. No, I don't lack ambition for one minute, but I am realistic about the problems our crappy stadium imposes on us. Moan all you like about the need for strikers, but if we don't have any money, we have to make do, that's the way the world works! We still wouldn't have any money for strikers in League One, so what's the point in moaning? Frankly I'd like a six bedroom house with a swimming pool and a new Ferrari, but as I have no cash right now, I'll just have to put up with a 2 bedroomed flat and a Ford Fiesta....sound familiar anyone??

A few defeats all of a sudden doesn't spell calamity, just like a couple of quick wins won't secure safety. I fancy Gillingham and Rotherham would quite happily swap positions, so FFS, will the moaners please get a grip on reality and get behind the team!

*takes deep breath and climbs down steps of soapbox*

As ever, Edna, couldn't be better put.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree, but there are things he can be doing to give us a better chance of picking up points, e.g. bringing in a striker, not playing so many players out of position and not having 3 midfielders on the bench at the start of every match.

He did a good job last year, and we appreciate that, but as a club we can't rest on our laurels.

JonC said:
I tries to stay away but felt I had to say something to defend our fans.

We only got sent 303 tickets. Sold out halfway through last week. I know of 2 people who tried to get tickets but couldn't. If the ground didn't sell out, it wasn't our fault.

All away teams are entitled to 700, please check your facts. Your club obviously sent them back before these two late punters showed their faces. Sending tickets back and selling out are two different things.

Pavilionaire said:
I agree, but there are things he can be doing to give us a better chance of picking up points, e.g. bringing in a striker, not playing so many players out of position and not having 3 midfielders on the bench at the start of every match.

He did a good job last year, and we appreciate that, but as a club we can't rest on our laurels.

What amazes me, Pavilionaire, is your belief (shared by many others on here, again amazingly) that McGhee isn't working flat out, every waking moment of his day, in trying to bring a striker in.

The facts are that Prem clubs are being slow to release loan players (as Ian Holloway complained last week) and even those that can be spared (such as with our imminent deal with Dexter Blackstock) are being held onto as clubs reassess their priorities following injuries and poor form.

We have a set playing budget which we can't breach because the club is in enough financial bother as it already. That budget means that most suitable players that become available, eg. MacCammon, we can't afford.

These are the realities of supporting Brighton and Hove Albion.

We can either moan about these realties to our hearts content, which won't change a single thing in the real world, or get behind the manager and try and raise the atmosphere at Withdean, which was for me too subdued given the last fine win over Leeds.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
What amazes me, Pavilionaire, is your belief (shared by many others on here, again amazingly) that McGhee isn't working flat out, every waking moment of his day, in trying to bring a striker in.

The facts are that Prem clubs are being slow to release loan players (as Ian Holloway complained last week) and even those that can be spared (such as with our imminent deal with Dexter Blackstock) are being held onto as clubs reassess their priorities following injuries and poor form.

We have a set playing budget which we can't breach because the club is in enough financial bother as it already. That budget means that most suitable players that become available, eg. MacCammon, we can't afford.

These are the realities of supporting Brighton and Hove Albion.

We can either moan about these realties to our hearts content, which won't change a single thing in the real world, or get behind the manager and try and raise the atmosphere at Withdean, which was for me too subdued given the last fine win over Leeds.

Please stop it, that is about the third post of yours that I have read today that I agree with, I hate Monday's....

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Pavilionaire said:

*sighs*

What does it take to make people understand we have no money? Like I said, I quite fancy a Ferrari, a ten bedroom villa in the south of France and to bath nightly in vintage champagne, but as I have no spare cash after the bills are paid, I guess I'm just going to have to wait until I win the lottery.

Do people think the Albion have some kind of Capital One Emergency Striker Credit Card, which we can just flash at another club every time our strikers aren't scoring or are injured? Life doesn't work like that, disappointing though it is!

I also feel sure the club aren't resting on their laurels either...I'm no expert, but I don't imagine for one moment that Dick Knight sits back cackling in his swivel chair, stroking his white cat and telling Number Two, er I mean Martin Perry, that he doesn't give a sh*t if we get relegated as long as we get Falmer.

He's a fan of the club like anyone else, so obviously they do what they can with the funds that we have to ensure we stay up. I'm not going to be a blind apologist for the board, but I'd hazard a guess that they work their arses off for this club, probably working very long hours and getting numerous flamings from 'er indoors for their troubles (not to mention idiots on radio phone ins)! They're certainly not in it for the money, as one plank pathetically accused Dick Knight of on SCR.

There are plenty of clubs who could be accused of sitting on their laurels, but I'm 100% convinced we're not one of them.

McGhee's tactics are another thing entirely, but on the one hand you say we're not doing anything to avoid relegation and on the other you complain because the manager tries different things to find a winning formula with what we do have!

I just think that the club deserves a bit of patience from us, and not the incessant grumbling which follows every defeat, that's all.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
you put the T on Terrific post Edna, well said :clap:

Edit: I wholeheartedly (sp?) agree of course!

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Why thank you :lolol:

If we're shit, I'll agree as much as everyone else, but where we are right now is not for lack of effort (and anyone who ever went to Gillingham during the dark years will know what lack of effort from the players looks like) so we should still be backing the team.

One win at West Ham next week (ok, long shot, but I can dream) and all the doubters will disappear again.

Can't wait for it....at least until 3pm :lolol:

larus

Good posts Edna.

We're doing OK overall, and the only important thing is Falmer.

If we end up getting relegated but Falmer is given the green light, I would think we would have a good chance to keep the manager and playing staff we wanted to, as the promised land wuold be within touching distance.

However, if we stay-up and get a NO on Falmer, different story.:(

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes but SURELY we can find some money from somewhere. It can't be that hard to raise £100,000. That would cover say £50k for a transfer fee and we'd still have £50k to spend on wages for thats striker between now and next June.

We ALL have to tighten our belts. Perhaps some of the directors could remortgage their houses, or sell their cars. Its all very well asking the fans to dig deep and help out (again), but how much are the likes of DK and the board REALLY doing to help this club ? Or do they secretly want us relegated, so they can take up the cheap option next season of releasing all the experienced players and just having what amounts to a youth team being paid buttons ? You all need to take the BLINKERS off. *

* (just thought I'd try posting from the other side of the argument for once...it really was absolute bollocks, wasn't it.)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
agree totally, Easy.

It's all about sacrifices at times like this.

Why can't the staff from the club shop prostitute themselves, for example? It wouldn't cost much to put a few cards in phone boxes, and I'm told the going rate for ladies (and gentlemen) of the night these days is pretty good, particularly if you can guarantee no sexually transmitted diseases.

Mark McGhee and Bob Booker should stop moaning about having no money and consider doing something about it. Why not sell their grannies? At least with Christmas coming up, some people in this world might like a granny to keep them company or babysit, and it would save Mark and BOb from having to buy them presents too.

And as for the players, well I'm sure if they all agreed to forego their wages for say a couple of weeks to fund a new colleague, that would do the world of good. And think of how much it would do for team spirit for the lads to know their sacrifice wasn't in vain, and the new striker sitting in the dressing room is being paid out of their money.

Yep, I think Easy's solution is definitely the way forward. Why didn't we think of this before?!

(Although I did suggest a Blue Peter style Bring & Buy Sale at the Crewe game, along with a flashing Totaliser at the East end of Withdean stadium)

:lolol: :lolol:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
My turn on the soapbox.

MM, DK, the team, the backroom staff and NSC are all working flat out to keep us in the Championship and get us Falmer....

But....

Making effort doesn't make it right. We haven't all started 'bleating' because of three defeats. The 'we haven't got a proper striker' argument has been going on all season. My expectations are still the same as they were at the beginning of the season... to stay up (and it was always going to be a close run thing I thought)... and I still think we can do it and get Falmer.

But...

Effort..... sometimes we put in effort and ignore the one weakness in the hope it will go away.... and I think this is what's happening here. If we go down we lose ten players and the manager... count on it.... and we will probabaly lose Falmer too because a second division club(or League 1... whatever) doesn't need a plush new ground unless its located in a metropolis like Hull... so then it's Coneference here we come....

So getting a reasonably good striker for a little bit more than we'd like is not only an attempt to keep the club in the Championship but also towards getting us Falmer too...

It's not striker or Falmer.... it's striker AND Falmer.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
SULLY COULDNT SHOOT said:
My turn on the soapbox.

MM, DK, the team, the backroom staff and NSC are all working flat out to keep us in the Championship and get us Falmer....

But....

Making effort doesn't make it right. We haven't all started 'bleating' because of three defeats. The 'we haven't got a proper striker' argument has been going on all season. My expectations are still the same as they were at the beginning of the season... to stay up (and it was always going to be a close run thing I thought)... and I still think we can do it and get Falmer.

But...

Effort..... sometimes we put in effort and ignore the one weakness in the hope it will go away.... and I think this is what's happening here. If we go down we lose ten players and the manager... count on it.... and we will probabaly lose Falmer too because a second division club(or League 1... whatever) doesn't need a plush new ground unless its located in a metropolis like Hull... so then it's Coneference here we come....

So getting a reasonably good striker for a little bit more than we'd like is not only an attempt to keep the club in the Championship but also towards getting us Falmer too...

It's not striker or Falmer.... it's striker AND Falmer.

dangerous Sully but I like it - You'll get rounded up by Dicks anti dissenting police

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The Auditor said:
dangerous Sully but I like it - You'll get rounded up by Dicks anti dissenting police

not dangerous. Just another ignorant person who is ignoring reality.

We haven't got the money for a decent striker FULL STOP

* use of ignorant is not intended to offend

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Doesn't offend Yorkie but a bit surprised...... youi knwo I've been foloowign these discussion for months and have been on the side of DK and the team for ages..... still am and I am happy with the position of the club.... alll I'm suggesting is the arguement of players versus Falmer is not as simpel as it sounds... I think it is players=Falmer. If I haven't made that clear I'M sorry I offended.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here