Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Have A Bad Week Shock Horror

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
larus said:
What league were we in when the process started for a new site in Brighton? Yes, Div 3 (league 2). We're now in the championship (old Div 1), so even if we were to be dead certs to go down by the time of the decision (which legally must be 30 days before a general election), we would still be one league higher than when this process started.

When this process started, most fans would have been satisfied with being one league higher and seeing a team that was improving. The reason why DK gets slated is because we've been too successful, and certain fans can't see this. We have over-achieved for our resources. Look at the like of Shef Weds, Bistol, Swindon, for all of their resources, we've done better.

We have a certain amount of money coming in due to our capacity - FACT.
We have a certain level of outgoings, which I would hope are fairly well controlled.
DK is not willing to spend what the club can't afford. I am pleased about that. That's how I run my finances, and in the long run, you'rs better off. Any fool can spend money and get in debt. Yes, you getthe pleasure now, but the pain will come when the pay-back has to be made, which it does.

Also, your assumption that John Prescott is going to say "Hmmm, right lads, you convinced me that you needed a stadium first time round. You've now proved that Falmer is the best site. But bollocks to all that, you've gone daaahhhhhnnnn, so you can stay at Withdean you bunch of losers." :rolleyes:

Our league position will be totally irrelevant to JP, and to any investors. This is a LONG-TERM project, not one season.

A league higher and seeing a team improving?........... But what if we are in a league higher with no players because we do not have the money to pay them what they have proved they are worth by getting us promoted and they get snapped up by those clubs trhat have more money and ambition (eg Mansfield, Darlington, Cardiff etc). 10 players and the manager are out of contract if they go who do we put out and will they be good enough for League 2 let alone league 1. It only takes a couple of years to go down 2 divisions and with no money to improve you have to realise that the older players (who are the most likely to take what is offered) will be older and slower. How is that improving the club?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
And I was going to stay quiet.....

It's normal for us to speculate on the future... we've all done it here and while I think St Lennard's got a point to a certain degree , your last message does sound very 'doomsaying'. There are a lot of 'what if's.

You know that I think there is a striker=falmer issue and I do worry that if we go down we'll lose our polayers and things will get a lot tougher all round..... but if there are gripes to be made about the club we could spend all day on 'what ifs' and still be no nearer getting to the truth.

It is so frustarating that little clubs pick up players and we can't... it's so frustrating that we keep hanging off the edge of the cliff to heaven or hell and we can't help looking for someone to blame.... maybe there is someone to blame.... but we're going round in circles on this one. the one thing you can say about DK is that he is very determined to do things his way. This means, rightly or wrongly.... money is not going to be made available till Falmer is sorted out and then only if he thinks we've got it to spend.

I suppose there really is no choice but to sit on our hands till the end of the season...pray for survival and pray for Falmer.

And what happens if in a year's time we don't have falmer... we've fallen a division, have no team, and it's clear that DK has sold us down the river? Much as it may be galling for St Lennard and the rest of those who smell a rat.... but we'll just have to say we had no choice because if we rip the club apart now on 'what if's the result could be a whole lot worse.

I know it's getting a bit furtarting to still be told to 'keep the faith' but there it is.... if we love our club that's what we have to do for a season more.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
'furtarting'???????:ohmy: do I need to say again that I can't type well?

larus

Saint Lennard said:
A league higher and seeing a team improving?...........
By your comments here, I assume you think this team is worse than last years team, hmmm. Currie, Hammond, Nicolas..

But what if we are in a league higher with no players because we do not have the money to pay them what they have proved they are worth by getting us promoted and they get snapped up by those clubs trhat have more money and ambition (eg Mansfield, Darlington, Cardiff etc). 10 players and the manager are out of contract if they go who do we put out and will they be good enough for League 2 let alone league 1. It only takes a couple of years to go down 2 divisions and with no money to improve you have to realise that the older players (who are the most likely to take what is offered) will be older and slower. How is that improving the club?

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be patronising here, but I really don't understand what point you are trying to make. What are you trying to say, that Championship survival is paramount, or Falmer?

If it's championship football at all costs, I disagree with you. All of the players won't leave if we get relegated, as it didn't happen last time we went down. If they are good enough to get us up, then they are good enough to keep us up (following on from your comments).

If the most important issue is Falmer, then I agree that if we fail with Falmer, we stand a chance of losing the manager and the better players, as we will be doomed to be a struggling team for a few more years, and professional footballers careers are so short, they can't afford to waste years with us if they have the ability to play at a higher level and earn a lot more money.

If DK borrows a lot of money to fund the playing side, and then we get turned down for Falmer and the Inland Revenue demand their Capital Gains Tax from the sale of the Goldstone, we would be in deep shit. By keeping the finances in check, we have room for manoeuvre should the worst happen. By spending up to your limit, you don't have a safety net.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
SULLY COULDNT SHOOT said:
And I was going to stay quiet.....

It's normal for us to speculate on the future... we've all done it here and while I think St Lennard's got a point to a certain degree , your last message does sound very 'doomsaying'. There are a lot of 'what if's.

You know that I think there is a striker=falmer issue and I do worry that if we go down we'll lose our polayers and things will get a lot tougher all round..... but if there are gripes to be made about the club we could spend all day on 'what ifs' and still be no nearer getting to the truth.

It is so frustarating that little clubs pick up players and we can't... it's so frustrating that we keep hanging off the edge of the cliff to heaven or hell and we can't help looking for someone to blame.... maybe there is someone to blame.... but we're going round in circles on this one. the one thing you can say about DK is that he is very determined to do things his way. This means, rightly or wrongly.... money is not going to be made available till Falmer is sorted out and then only if he thinks we've got it to spend.

I suppose there really is no choice but to sit on our hands till the end of the season...pray for survival and pray for Falmer.

And what happens if in a year's time we don't have falmer... we've fallen a division, have no team, and it's clear that DK has sold us down the river? Much as it may be galling for St Lennard and the rest of those who smell a rat.... but we'll just have to say we had no choice because if we rip the club apart now on 'what if's the result could be a whole lot worse.

I know it's getting a bit furtarting to still be told to 'keep the faith' but there it is.... if we love our club that's what we have to do for a season more.

Fair point, my glass is half empty. I still have a sick feeling when i think of the Hereford game and that will be with me forever....

I am not saying DK is selling us down the river. I suppose what i am trying to highlight is something that other pessimists are thinking and just want to know what is the clubs plans to deal with this what if scenarion. We have no plan B over Falmer but what is the Plan B for losing these players and if we get relegated. Any Chairman will be thinking at least one season ahead so what is DK planning? I am always being told how open the club are but i no idea of the cklubs stance on these scenarios or DK's stance for if the worst happens.

IF there is a plan B on Falmer, and on getting relegated, what would the club gain from making these public? Would you if you were DK? A public show of support for a Falmer alternative would harm the current application, and a public announcement on what we will do come relegation would show a complete lack of support and respect for the current players and staff.
I do not follow the club blindly, but I think their actions are logical given the difficult circumstances.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Lokki 7 said:
IF there is a plan B on Falmer, and on getting relegated, what would the club gain from making these public? Would you if you were DK? A public show of support for a Falmer alternative would harm the current application, and a public announcement on what we will do come relegation would show a complete lack of support and respect for the current players and staff.
I do not follow the club blindly, but I think their actions are logical given the difficult circumstances.

I cannot see the problem with telling us putting our money into the club what efforts are being made to keep the current squad and managers. But there, again we are not being told what the club are doing to improve the squad. Spin like "we are actively seeking..." and we are doing evrything we can isn't tangible enough for me i'm afraid. Particularly when MM states that we do not have the money to get an experienced player in on loan!

I understand the confidentiality regarding Falmer but why the secrecy over the squad and improving it etc. After all i am paying to watch somethin aren't i or is the entrance fee just to subsidise lawyers and we should no longer be interested in the playing side of things. Would you be very happy if you bought tickets to see coldplay but the Mcfly turn up.

I agree with you SL (amazingly!) but as we both know, we are doing little in terms of bringing someone in because we are skint. If we find a cheap alternative I'm sure we will snap him up, MM is no fool and he wants new players more than you or I do.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Lokki 7 said:
I agree with you SL (amazingly!) but as we both know, we are doing little in terms of bringing someone in because we are skint. If we find a cheap alternative I'm sure we will snap him up, MM is no fool and he wants new players more than you or I do.

Lets hope something comes out of last nights trip to Arsenal

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Re: Re: Albion Have A Bad Week Shock Horror

Lush said:
That's the BIG difference between us and the 3 teams we've played this week. Virgo makes things better, but not much. We urgently need to get it sorted

Well said, just need to get a striker in...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here