Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Have A Bad Week Shock Horror

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Lokki 7 said:
Ah yes, here and now. Clear of the relegation zone in the Championship, an experienced manager at the helm and possibly weeks away from a yes decision on Falmer. BUT WE HAVE LOST 3 GAMES IN A ROW! 2 TO FORMER PREM SIDES! You are right SL, Dick Knight out now! He has raped this club for too long :censored:

Weeks away?????????.Is it weeks away now cos JP knows there's goin to be a Feb election so he wants to give us a YES beforehand. Shouldn't he have told his mate Ivor about that golden re-election fodder?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Hahahahahaha!!! You're such a comedian St Lennard... if you thought I'd respond to that I'm sorry to disappoint you.

As you and the Auditor said a while ago (who I do believe is only the Auditor rather than a mutyli-headed hydra) everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if you expect people to respect yours then you have to respect others' without trying to rile them.

One thing I have learnt from NSC and Brightonfans is that nothing is gained by winding each other up. Support the club in yoru own way and I'll support it in mine.

Cheers

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Lokki 7 said:
I thought the bottom three went down from this division? Have they changed the rules?
And I said a Falmer DECISION if you read my post.
four points above and loads of games to play - we are not clear of relegation until all 46 games are played and we are still out of the bottom three - falmer decision will be April at the earliest by which time with no investment in a striker we may already be relegated - reality not rose tinted optimisium

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
SULLY COULDNT SHOOT said:
Hahahahahaha!!! You're such a comedian St Lennard... if you thought I'd respond to that I'm sorry to disappoint you.

As you and the Auditor said a while ago (who I do believe is only the Auditor rather than a mutyli-headed hydra) everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if you expect people to respect yours then you have to respect others' without trying to rile them.

One thing I have learnt from NSC and Brightonfans is that nothing is gained by winding each other up. Support the club in yoru own way and I'll support it in mine.

Cheers

Horrah I am only me ! - please tell the others !

If we get relegated and a YES decision then relegation will have been a price worth paying. Nothing you or SL says can change my mind on that. I have supported Brighton through many relegations and life goes on, without Falmer it may not.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Lokki 7 said:
If we get relegated and a YES decision then relegation will have been a price worth paying. Nothing you or SL says can change my mind on that. I have supported Brighton through many relegations and life goes on, without Falmer it may not.
yes that fine but we dont need to get relegated a small and I stress small increase in playing budget could make the difference
PS glad to see you accept I'm not SL or any other identity!

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
SULLY COULDNT SHOOT said:

Cheers

I totally agree with you and apologise for my immature approach to this serious subject. I do however feel that neither site wants anyone to challenge the board. I do not put my opinion on this board to wind people up it is because i want to vent my frustrations regarding the situation (rather than the running of the club per se) in a forum where there may be like minded people.

The appraoch of some is of denial and this needs to be addressed otherwise (whoever is in charge of the club) who knows what could happen to the Albion.

Last edited:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Cheers:clap:

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Lokki 7 said:

We may get the go ahead for Falmer but if we go down, the business plan will not stack up on gates of 7-8K so the stadium will not be built, unless you want to pay £50 per match!

Look at the clubs in League 1 - with a couple of exceptions they have no fans to speak of so they will not be flocking to Falmer. How many clubs took their full away allocation at Withdean last year, not many.

Look at the attendances at the Goldstone towards the end, no sell outs until we looked to have a chance of staying up. To get reasonable attendances at Falmer and bring out the extra Albion fans that are hopefully out there, we will need the draw of the "big" clubs in the championship and we need them to bring 2-3k fans.

You simply cannot pay for Falmer playing Torquay etc.

I'm sure we could carry on as a little club if we forget Falmer and get Withdean up to around 10K capacity and play forever in league 1 or 2, but do we really want that? We need Falmer if we are to be a serious club in the future but as someone working in finance, I cant see how the stadium can be financed unless it is around 2/3rds full and that is most unlikely if we are not in the championship when the final business plans are submitted to the lenders.

We get relegated? We bounce back the next year! Problem solved. Falmer is long term, relegation is a short term set back (and anyway I believe we will stay up).

Build it, and they will come.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
SI 4 BHA said:
We may get the go ahead for Falmer but if we go down, the business plan will not stack up on gates of 7-8K so the stadium will not be built, unless you want to pay £50 per match!

Look at the clubs in League 1 - with a couple of exceptions they have no fans to speak of so they will not be flocking to Falmer. How many clubs took their full away allocation at Withdean last year, not many.

Look at the attendances at the Goldstone towards the end, no sell outs until we looked to have a chance of staying up. To get reasonable attendances at Falmer and bring out the extra Albion fans that are hopefully out there, we will need the draw of the "big" clubs in the championship and we need them to bring 2-3k fans.

I'm sure we could carry on as a little club if we forget Falmer and get Withdean up to around 10K capacity and play forever in league 1 or 2, but do we really want that? We need Falmer if we are to be a serious club in the future but as someone working in finance, I cant see how the stadium can be financed unless it is around 2/3rds full and that is most unlikely if we are not in the championship when the final business plans are submitted to the lenders.

SI 4BHA You are too logical with your summing up it will not go down well on here.

The one guaranteed things is before very long you will be being called a non supporter, an Archerite or just a complete idiot.

One of the rules here is that you must not voice an opinion that is not in line with what the majority want to hear whether you be right or wrong or even if you think that you are right.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
BensGrandad said:

One of the rules here is that you must not voice an opinion that is not in line with what the majority want to hear whether you be right or wrong or even if you think that you are right.

There are no rules here. Just don't be suprised that if you voice an opinion there will always be someone who disagrees, another who jumps to the wrong conclusion and yet more who just want an argument and right or wrong doesn't come into it.

larus

SI 4 BHA said:

What league were we in when the process started for a new site in Brighton? Yes, Div 3 (league 2). We're now in the championship (old Div 1), so even if we were to be dead certs to go down by the time of the decision (which legally must be 30 days before a general election), we would still be one league higher than when this process started.

When this process started, most fans would have been satisfied with being one league higher and seeing a team that was improving. The reason why DK gets slated is because we've been too successful, and certain fans can't see this. We have over-achieved for our resources. Look at the like of Shef Weds, Bistol, Swindon, for all of their resources, we've done better.

We have a certain amount of money coming in due to our capacity - FACT.
We have a certain level of outgoings, which I would hope are fairly well controlled.
DK is not willing to spend what the club can't afford. I am pleased about that. That's how I run my finances, and in the long run, you'rs better off. Any fool can spend money and get in debt. Yes, you getthe pleasure now, but the pain will come when the pay-back has to be made, which it does.

Also, your assumption that John Prescott is going to say "Hmmm, right lads, you convinced me that you needed a stadium first time round. You've now proved that Falmer is the best site. But bollocks to all that, you've gone daaahhhhhnnnn, so you can stay at Withdean you bunch of losers." :rolleyes:

Our league position will be totally irrelevant to JP, and to any investors. This is a LONG-TERM project, not one season.

Pavilionaire said:
Is it just me or are you a condescending person?

I didn't say McGhee wasn't working flat out, I just question his judgement - as fans of Leicester, Reading, Wolves and, most recently, Millwall, have done before me.

Who said anything about Prem strikers coming to the Albion? Not me. Sure, Blackstock would have been great, but I assume we're also looking at divisions below us as well?

If you can't buy in then you have to wheel and deal. I don't see why we can't seek to loan one of the 5 or 6 good pros who aren't anywhere near the 1st XI to free up some wages.

I do support McGhee, I go home and away, but when you see a man making mistakes that lead to us dropping points you have to speak out. What was your stance on Hinshelwood? I suppose you backed him all the way as well?

So I'm condescending just because I happen to disagree with your unreasonable slagging of McGhee. Fine. I'll take that label all day long if that's the price for defending McGhee.

Yes of course McGhee was criticised at his former clubs - there is a moaning fringe at each and every one of those clubs - but the majority of those fans you talk about were mostly pissed off that he was an EXCELLENT manager and LEFT them, that's the reality of his record.

What makes YOU ASSUME that I was only talking about Prem clubs?

Look, any decent player capable of playing in the Championship from League 1 and 2 clubs are also going to cost us a fee, isn't that the case? A fee that we probably can't afford.

If you are talking about us getting loans from players not good enough to make League 1 and 2 teams, then I think you have to think seriously about whether a) they would be good enough to make an impact in the Championship b) whether it would be a waste of a loan and c) would they be any better than we have already got in Virgo and McPhee.

Which of the 5 or 6 players would you cut from our already limited squad then? I suspect many of the players you are talking about have either a) been needed or b) will be needed because of injuries - we still have a long season ahead of us.

Even then, the problem is not so much wages, it is more exhorbitant transfer fees. McGhee inquired for McCammon probably hopeful that we could afford his wages at a stretch, the problem was that Millwall wanted their windfall too. So no deal.

So it's all about "wheeling and dealing" then, that's where McGhee is going wrong ??? Come on.

Why not ring him up with this blinding bit of useless advice? Or better still, shout it over to him on matchdays from the South Stand and see how the manager you say you support takes it?

I wouldn't disagree with you too much that McGhee has made some mistakes in selections, against Plymouth, against Crewe, that's all arguable, even the best managers try things that don't work.

But what I strongly disagree with is people like you continually making light of the terrible contraints that McGhee has to operate under in the transfer and loan market.

"Wheeling and dealing" my big red Irish arse! Sorry if that's "condescending".

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
larus said:
What league were we in when the process started for a new site in Brighton? Yes, Div 3 (league 2). We're now in the championship (old Div 1), so even if we were to be dead certs to go down by the time of the decision (which legally must be 30 days before a general election), we would still be one league higher than when this process started.

When this process started, most fans would have been satisfied with being one league higher and seeing a team that was improving. The reason why DK gets slated is because we've been too successful, and certain fans can't see this. We have over-achieved for our resources. Look at the like of Shef Weds, Bistol, Swindon, for all of their resources, we've done better.

We have a certain amount of money coming in due to our capacity - FACT.
We have a certain level of outgoings, which I would hope are fairly well controlled.
DK is not willing to spend what the club can't afford. I am pleased about that. That's how I run my finances, and in the long run, you'rs better off. Any fool can spend money and get in debt. Yes, you getthe pleasure now, but the pain will come when the pay-back has to be made, which it does.

Also, your assumption that John Prescott is going to say "Hmmm, right lads, you convinced me that you needed a stadium first time round. You've now proved that Falmer is the best site. But bollocks to all that, you've gone daaahhhhhnnnn, so you can stay at Withdean you bunch of losers." :rolleyes:

Our league position will be totally irrelevant to JP, and to any investors. This is a LONG-TERM project, not one season.

You have voiced that in a far more literate manner than I could but that is what I have been trying to say.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
larus said:
:

Yes I agree with your comments but as a member of the paying public I want to watch the Albion play as high a standard of football as possible.
On the short term money front we should get more at withdean in the championship than in league one so surely its best to try to stay in this division even if it involves a small amount of investment in a striker

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here