Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Have A Bad Week Shock Horror

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
we want Falmer! said:
BHAFC always have bad patches but this is VERY BAD!
3 defeats in a row is not VERY BAD, I can assure you.

12 defeats in a row is VERY BAD (and we still nearly stayed up despite that).

We'll be ok. As a wise man once said..."keep the faith".

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Easy 10 said:
3 defeats in a row is not VERY BAD, I can assure you.

12 defeats in a row is VERY BAD (and we still nearly stayed up despite that).

We'll be ok. As a wise man once said..."keep the faith".

I love you Easy :clap: :clap:

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Turkey said:

Can't wait for our 1-0 win at West Ham with a Bobby Z own goal next week.

That would be just brilliant. Please let it be so........

Nov 12, 2003
worth recalling that after two thirds of the match at Sunderland when we had been playing 3-5-2, we were looking good for a point. McGhee changed the format and said he was going for the win but that decision lookednflawed at the time. Since then we were taken apart at Derby and again yesterday. If we had stayed at 3-5-2 and got a point at the SOL, who knows what might have happened thereafter. All over the park confidence has been erased and it was only Kuipers who kept the scoreline from being extremely embarassing.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
DannyCullipLookalike'sDad said:
All over the park confidence has been erased and it was only Kuipers who kept the scoreline from being extremely embarassing.

I refer you to Neil Warnock's column on the BBC website

So there we were, looking at a 5-1 defeat from a game I honestly thought we could win.

People think you're a candidate for a role in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest when you say things like that, but that's how thin the line is between success and failure.

The defeat wasn't down to tactics, lack of movement or their quality - although they took their chances well and were better than us on the night.

So as a manager, how do you react to a defeat like that?

Obviously, in the dressing-room immediately afterwards you're shell-shocked.

Do you blast players or put an arm around their shoulders?

You try and do a bit of both. There's little point in laying into players because they don't mean to make mistakes.

But the problem of picking up your team after a defeat is one that all managers have to work out - even the likes of Arsene Wenger.

It's hard to put your finger on it, and if you could find the recipe to bottle confidence and give it to players, you would become a millionaire overnight

*I have edited this but you get the gist*

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
At least it was Crewe (surely nobody thought we would really win this one?). We could lose to bad sides like:

Burnley
Rotherham
Stoke
Gillingham
Watford
Forest

Then we should start to worry.

I am not saying we can beat these sides, because it requires scoring goals.

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
pbtz1.jpg

Damn. and to think I'd just splashed out on a new panic button.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
perseus said:
At least it was Crewe (surely nobody thought we would really win this one?). We could lose to bad sides like:

Burnley
Rotherham
Stoke
Gillingham
Watford
Forest

Then we should start to worry.

I am not saying we can beat these sides, because it requires scoring goals.

With our current strike force we wont win any of these - virtually no goals and one win in seven games - it needs sorting now before we slump to far and confidence goes - back to the proven striker issue ( wait for abuse from the usual few)l

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Yorkie said:
The CGT is there for investment in a new stadium. I fail to see why the improvements made to Withdean cannot be offset against the CGT. The Inland Revenue know that the delay in Falmer is no the fault of the clubs so why should it have been paid years ago?
The IR are now saying they are not prepared to wait any longer. It's like vultures swirling around.

I think that the CGT roll over relief cannot be used to offset the improvement to Withdean as improving a rented stadium is not the same as building/owning a stadium even thought they are still running a football club.

Another answer may be that only a proportion of the CGT liability could be used up in the Withdean improvements which would then be lost and then none available to be set against Falmer. There will be no corresponding relief available as the improvement to Withdean cannot be sold when Falmer is built. Therefore in using part of the relief now will still leave a CGT liability to be paid now.

I'm in no way an expert in CGT so the above might not be quite right, just possible reasons why.

As far as the IR is concerned the limit is three years subject to consessions, but on the IR's perspective they have now waited double that time with nothing concrete in place so to be honset I'm not surprised they want there money.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I agree with a lot of what you say Easy. This season was always going to be a struggle and there are some signs of encouragement; the young players coming through, Darren Currie ( wonderful to see a player like him at the Albion) and Nicholas. BUT I think you underestimate just how vital is it to have a proven goalscorer. At this level, we don't have one and I worry that we're just not going to score the goals needed to survive. MM knows that, he's not stupid but what can he do - we just don't have any money.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
gazwag said:
I think that the CGT roll over relief cannot be used to offset the improvement to Withdean as improving a rented stadium is not the same as building/owning a stadium even thought they are still running a football club.

Another answer may be that only a proportion of the CGT liability could be used up in the Withdean improvements which would then be lost and then none available to be set against Falmer. There will be no corresponding relief available as the improvement to Withdean cannot be sold when Falmer is built. Therefore in using part of the relief now will still leave a CGT liability to be paid now.

I'm in no way an expert in CGT so the above might not be quite right, just possible reasons why.

As far as the IR is concerned the limit is three years subject to consessions, but on the IR's perspective they have now waited double that time with nothing concrete in place so to be honset I'm not surprised they want there money.

Thats about right - the CGT money has probably been spent on day to day things

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Yorkie
The CGT is there for investment in a new stadium. I fail to see why the improvements made to Withdean cannot be offset against the CGT. The Inland Revenue know that the delay in Falmer is no the fault of the clubs so why should it have been paid years ago?
The IR are now saying they are not prepared to wait any longer. It's like vultures swirling around.

After the release of Rodger and Blackwell there may be more
WAGES available but not instant cash for a transfer fee.
As has been well documented we went after the England under 18 and Southampton striker Dexter Blackstock but unfortunately injuries to the Southampton squad prevented this.

We need a break. At the moment all is going against us but the tide will turn
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you saying that all these donations to A & K fund are to pay the CGT.

The answer to that has to be yes I'm afraid - if I Rev really put the squeeze on

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sneaky George said:
I think you underestimate just how vital is it to have a proven goalscorer. At this level, we don't have one and I worry that we're just not going to score the goals needed to survive. MM knows that, he's not stupid but what can he do - we just don't have any money.
Absolutely - an experienced striker at this level is a MUST, and will be the difference between a comfortable mid-table finish, or a fight to the death which will go right down to the wire. I also think Leon would flourish with the right man up alongside him.

If we DO have to make do with Virgo up front for the rest of the season, which is looking a distinct possibility, then we will probably be relying on Forest, Gillingham and Rotherham continuing to be utter gash to keep us up. Its happened before (remember Birmingham, Walsall and Shrewsbury back in '89), where we stay up not so much because we are any good, but because the teams behind us are so appalling.

I don't care how we do it, as long as we get that 21st spot. With the squad as it is, I still think we can just about scrape it.

Last edited:

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Easy 10 said:
Absolutely - an experienced striker at this level is a MUST, and will be the difference between a comfortable mid-table finish, or a fight to the death which will go right down to the wire. I also think Leon would flourish with the right man up alongside him.

If we DO have to make do with Virgo up front for the rest of the season, which is looking a distinct possibility, then we will probably be relying on Forest, Gillingham and Rotherham continuing to be utter gash to keep us up. Its happened before (remember Birmingham, Walsall and Shrewsbury back in '89), where we stay up not so much because we are any good, but because the teams behind us are so appalling.

I don't care how we do it, as long as we get that 21st spot. With the squad as it is, I still think we can just about scrape it.

youre right but it wont be for the faint hearted - me I'd like a slight and i emphasise slight loosing to the purse stings to improve our survivial chances. If we go down the football side will be as big a struggle as the stadium issue. look at MK Dons and others who show no signs of returning

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Auditor said:
youre right but it wont be for the faint hearted - me I'd like a slight and i emphasise slight loosing to the purse stings to improve our survivial chances. If we go down the football side will be as big a struggle as the stadium issue. look at MK Dons and others who show no signs of returning
Agreed. If we're relegated this time, I think we will stay relegated. The number of players we have out of contract next summer is frightening. Lob the manager into that bracket as well (who has already made no bones about the fact that he's not interested in managing in D2), and the worst case scenario could see Bob Booker in charge of what almost amounts to a youth team.

Doesn't bear thinking about really.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Crewe were good. But the stat that stands out after the result is a crowd of only 6100. I know Crewe sent back 350 tickets very late, but that still leave approx 350 seat empty. Are they season ticket holders who dont fancy watching the lesser clubs or are they tickets the club cannot sell? Worrying if its the later.

On a positive, if we are very lucky we may get West Ham on an off da, Currie was superb on Saturday and Michel is one of the best keepers in the league - lets hope he keeps the number 1 shirt as Robets is not as good an all round keeper

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here