Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Mooy joins Shanghai SIPG

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
All about this $, which is fair enough for a short term career.
Though some here don't think he should leave the Premier League.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Will get an amazing pay day and I wish him well, but please don't compare the football.

Innit. How would the clubs in the Oz champions league fair against PL clubs ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As others have said, lots of money for some easy days at the office. Many of us would do the same in our careers, others would prefer a challenge.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Still think was our best and most direct midfielder. Just a pity was played out wide.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hmmm

[tweet]1304303069962932224[/tweet]

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes but many footballers have something called ambition and wanting to play at the highest level.

Some don’t clearly.

He's played at the highest level for a few seasons now though.

Like I said his whole career is a bit odd really but whatever, he is set up for life and has had a career in something the majority on this forum can dream of.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
He's not very good but he's getting paid 60,000 per week. Nice earner toward the end of his middling career, he's got a talent and he needs to milk it for all he can to set himself up for life. Good luck to him, but I don't think we'll miss him in the slightest this season.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
He's not very good but he's getting paid 60,000 per week. Nice earner toward the end of his middling career, he's got a talent and he needs to milk it for all he can to set himself up for life. Good luck to him, but I don't think we'll miss him in the slightest this season.

I think that's a slightly harsh outlook. Granted his overall levels of performances certainly dipped after the move became permanent, but he was instrumental in quite a few pivotal moments last season. His cross for the winner at The Emirates, the important cushioning goal in the home win vs Bournemouth, the assist for the winner at Norwich.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I think that's a slightly harsh outlook. Granted his overall levels of performances certainly dipped after the move became permanent, but he was instrumental in quite a few pivotal moments last season. His cross for the winner at The Emirates, the important cushioning goal in the home win vs Bournemouth, the assist for the winner at Norwich.

Absolutely this! He was more than competent for us but he wasn't top-earner good. Previous to this summer, no one at the club was on £60,000 a week. It was a great move for him.

And those doubting his "ambition" are acting as if playing in the Premier League is the pinnacle of every player's career. I'm sure he'll be proud of his three full seasons (96 appearances) in the top flight but the reality is he's probably concerned more about his national team ambitions. Australia are due to play in the Copa America for the first time next year as an invited team, a World Cup the year after that, and an AFC Asian Cup the year after that - I'm sure his ambitions are centred around success for his national side and being closer to home is probably a big part of that.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Yes but many footballers have something called ambition and wanting to play at the highest level.

Some don’t clearly.

Chinese contracts are normally Net, so he's possibly doubled his pay.

In 10 years from now many if us will still be working, on NSC talking bollox and Mooy will be walking out the door of Australian beachfront villa for a bit of surfing/fishing, wondering what to spend his few hundred K per year, for life salary on.

I guess he's looking at the bigger picture than an "ambition" of another relegation scrap for Brighton

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

To be fair, all of those moments were fantastic. His goal away at Bournemouth deserves a mention too. But are 4 moments in a whole season enough? Not for me. But he did the job he was asked to do and we certainly had less committed, determined and engaged players last season.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Absolutely this! He was more than competent for us but he wasn't top-earner good. Previous to this summer, no one at the club was on £60,000 a week. It was a great move for him.

The £60,000 a week is supposedly double what he was on with us. I wouldn't mind doubling my wages for an "easier" job.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
The £60,000 a week is supposedly double what he was on with us. I wouldn't mind doubling my wages for an "easier" job.

it’s actually more than double, I believe he’s getting 60k net so c£120,000 a week gross in UK money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
To be fair, all of those moments were fantastic. His goal away at Bournemouth deserves a mention too. But are 4 moments in a whole season enough? Not for me. But he did the job he was asked to do and we certainly had less committed, determined and engaged players last season.

There weren't 4 moments. There was 2 very different half seasons.

On loan, Pre January. He was brilliant, sometimes unplayable - id be surprised if even Lallana can hit those heights, or bring so much cutting edge between the lines, consistently to the team.

Then wtf happened? no idea, but it was like a different player, slow, ponderous, devoid of the same creativity - whatever it was, after he signed on a perm it was a totally different player and pretty much ineffective except in very minor spurts.

Did we deny him a Jan move to China and it affect him? It really was a player who went from hero to zero in 6 months in his effect.

Cant argue with the decision to get rid based on the last half a season, but he was the best player in the club for the first half imho.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here