Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Mooy joins Shanghai SIPG

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Had some stand out games that can’t be denied.

However was no better or no worse than the players we had and currently have so losing him isn’t going to be a huge loss for the club.

Mooy wasn’t going to improve .... yet Alzate, Molumby, Mac Allister and Trossard are.

Bottom line is his release clause was met so the club had to allow him the move.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It makes you think who else is likely to depart who have been considered first team fixtures - Duffy, Murray, March, Propper, Gross?
Potter rates Pröpper highly ( The Athletic ) so he's staying. I also think Mooy going has saved Groß's bacon as it were.

Duffy is almost certainly gone.

If we get a striker, it'll be up to Murray if he goes or stays.

March might go, but only if we bring in a LWB ( Bernardo goes as well if that happens ).

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Gross is much the same player in terms of creativity and pace. However, he closes down much more, particularly in the top third. You could say he tries harder. Or cares more.

Just thinking about the defensive side of the game, Mooy has given the ball away a couple of times allowing the other team to break and score. Villa at home is one and I'm sure there was another really bad one but I can't remember who against.

I can't remember Gross ever doing that, his closing down further up the pitch is really important.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
His wife doesn’t seem happy about the move, I’m sure £9m will ease this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I do think this is a move that suits all parties.

The best bit about it is it removes another obstacle for Alzate to play centre/attacking midfield. I think this is going to be a massive season for Alzate after his breakthrough last season and now recovery from injury.

I’ve very rarely been so excited watching a player break into our side. He has got so much ability and confidence it’s frightening and I fully expect him to be in the running for our player of the season.

This. Thought Alzate walked into the first team and didn't look out of place at all. Is a very exciting young player for us and really did well to put himself very much in contention in Potters plans imo in his breakthrough season.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

The best bit about it is it removes another obstacle for Alzate to play centre/attacking midfield. I think this is going to be a massive season for Alzate after his breakthrough last season and now recovery from injury.

I’ve very rarely been so excited watching a player break into our side. He has got so much ability and confidence it’s frightening and I fully expect him to be in the running for our player of the season.

I do agree... Alzate was exceptional for us. A real gem of a player, total footballer who can play anywhere. So much potential.

Hopefully he’s over his injury problems and ready for the start of the season.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there

No pressure then! :lolol:

But I agree that Alzate could be something special. Seems ages since I've seen him but I remember being very impressed by his calmness and control. If he was nervous about being dropped in at the deep end, he certainly never let it show.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I do agree... Alzate was exceptional for us. A real gem of a player, total footballer who can play anywhere. So much potential.

Hopefully he’s over his injury problems and ready for the start of the season.

Agreed, and I hope his versatility doesn't tempt Potter to start playing him at left wing back. He needs to be in the middle, running the show.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
This. Thought Alzate walked into the first team and didn't look out of place at all. Is a very exciting young player for us and really did well to put himself very much in contention in Potters plans imo in his breakthrough season.

Encouraging that Molumby also seems like a player who isn't afraid of stepping up. By all accounts he has grabbed every opportunity that's come his way by the horns. If he stays, we'll have two very hungry, keen young CMs.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
No pressure then! :lolol:

But I agree that Alzate could be something special. Seems ages since I've seen him but I remember being very impressed by his calmness and control. If he was nervous about being dropped in at the deep end, he certainly never let it show.

I put pressure on him 5 minutes after his debut when I started a thread on here asking how were going to keep hold of him!

To be honest though, I don't think he is the type of player who will be fazed by pressure. What struck me last season was his level of confidence, almost arrogance in a good way.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
No he wasn't.

He posted some emojis including a pen and paper and an aussie flag. No mention of Ryan. Perhaps it referred to Mooy ?

What reference were the green gloves then?

Oh and welcome on board Mr Chegg

91aad4163c478a00af5dbb60a679c4b2.jpg

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What reference were the green gloves then?

Oh and welcome on board Mr Chegg

91aad4163c478a00af5dbb60a679c4b2.jpg

Interesting. They were grey gloves on the tweet I saw with 2 hands looking like they were together as if clapping.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Erm no.

Gross had double the assists and created 250% more big chances. Gross also spent less minutes on the pitch.

He was not good.

Are those stats based on last season (genuine question, not being sarcy)?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Disappointed. He was a pivotal player for us in some matches, and always had a goal in him.

Jul 20, 2003
can we get him back on loan? he was good when he was on loan

(haven't read the entire thread so apologies for stealing a lame joke from the 100 people who made this comment previously)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here