Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Mooy joins Shanghai SIPG

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Spot on....except...could interpret that as.....

Maupay has a great first season behind him
Connolly now more experienced
Alzate fit (presumably)
White back, good competition at CB
Dunk signed a new contract and will be fired right up
CL and PL winner and England international signed
Ajax captain, Dutch international and CL player signed
Lamptey introduced towards the end of last season and was a revelation
Potter has a season’s experience and kept us up despite fundamentally changing the way we play

Glass half full here [emoji106]

I think you could add that chap from Argentina who has bags of potential

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I'm saddened by this. Mooy was the best passer in the team by a long way IMO (aside from Lallana, hopefully). I felt after the lockdown he was misused. One of his best games for us was against B'muff at home just after Christmas, and he played just behind the striker. He was fantastic, driving the team forward and proving very creative. When Potter put him out on the right post-lockdown he just didn't have the legs for it. Even so, he still was effective, like with his assist for Trossard's goal against the carrot crunchers.

I can completely understand the move on Mooy's part if he wants to be closer to Australia, but from an Albion perspective I'd much rather have seen Gross moved on than Aaron.

[emoji122][emoji122]

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
I'm saddened by this. Mooy was the best passer in the team by a long way IMO (aside from Lallana, hopefully). I felt after the lockdown he was misused. One of his best games for us was against B'muff at home just after Christmas, and he played just behind the striker. He was fantastic, driving the team forward and proving very creative. When Potter put him out on the right post-lockdown he just didn't have the legs for it. Even so, he still was effective, like with his assist for Trossard's goal against the carrot crunchers.

I can completely understand the move on Mooy's part if he wants to be closer to Australia, but from an Albion perspective I'd much rather have seen Gross moved on than Aaron.

Erm no.

Gross had double the assists and created 250% more big chances. Gross also spent less minutes on the pitch.

He was not good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Erm no.

Gross had double the assists and created 250% more big chances. Gross also spent less minutes on the pitch.

He was not good.

Gross is much the same player in terms of creativity and pace. However, he closes down much more, particularly in the top third. You could say he tries harder. Or cares more.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
BTW I don't feel nearly as bad about my "Jean Luc Picard with a charisma bypass" comment now.

Unless that made him leave.

But it's probably the 60-100k a week to play against players who wouldn't get in our U23s.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'll put that down to Friday night syndrome.

What? The spelling mistake was deliberate. Read the post to which I was replying. . . . .

???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Glad there are others on here who are waving *their GCE grade 5 O level English grammar certificate proudly this evening

*or their. Doesn't matter, really. Innit.

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017
BTW I don't feel nearly as bad about my "Jean Luc Picard with a charisma bypass" comment now.

Unless that made him leave.

But it's probably the 60-100k a week to play against players who wouldn't get in our U23s.

I always had to resist calling him voldemort.

It was 'obvious' he was off as I pointed out 48 hours ago (see posts 36 and 40 of the midfield options thread). Not that I am crowing, or banging on about sauces. We have a very smart owner and a manager with a vision that fits his plan. Good business, good luck aaron. Wages down and space for alexis, alzate and molumby. And before anyone bangs on about experience, we signed lallana who will function better in similar areas to mooy... Happy days.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Thanks Mr Mooy, some great footballing performances for us and wish you well in China. Or Chi-NAA as trump pronounces it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You have a really cool life.

6b85347c9d6c473ec32899fe8fc3704b.jpg

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
He was great when he was great, and absolutely absent when he was bad. Lallana is better than Mooy so if Lallana stays fit this is the right move. For a 30 year old who’s never going to be as good as he was, with other youngsters coming in, we won’t miss him too much. He was good, we got him and released at the right time.

And a release clause to China?? That’s gotta be more money than he’s worth.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
So... which scenario is most likely?

1) We told him he wasn't needed and to look for a move
2) He wanted to leave, possibly to be closer to home or earn more money in the later stages of his career
3) Shanghai made an offer out of the blue, which was too good for both parties to refuse

I suspect number 3 happened... but with 1 and 2 coming into play once it was on the table.

4) Both players to get a red card under Potter are no longer playing for us?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Let's go the whole hog.

Mooy

View attachment 127792

Gross

View attachment 127793

Looks to me like Gross creates more, wastes less and has a better crossing accuracy.

Is that just last season? Because we have to be fair as Mooy hasn’t been with us as long.

Gross always takes the free kicks which may skew the results.

The impression I always had was that Mooy has a goal threat in him. Never get that impression from Gross. But good stats, interesting to see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here