Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Mooy joins Shanghai SIPG

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
If £4m true why on earth did we set such a low release clause for a PL player. Those on here saying went of the boil dont you think this was because he was played out wide.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
If £4m true why on earth did we set such a low release clause for a PL player. Those on here saying went of the boil dont you think this was because he was played out wide.

He insisted on it and had same agreement with Huddersfield

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Because he probably wanted it with Chinese clubs reportedly chasing him for a while. It might have been a requirement for him to sign. He will make four or five times his Brighton wage over there.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
have to say surprised but find myself not disappointed. after strong start faded in influence, especially the restarted season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We aren't very good at making decent profits from players we sell.

No wonder they always go with undisclosed.

If IF the club made £1,000,000 profit on 30 year old Mooy, in 6 months, then that's quite a phenomenal bit of business.

Esp in pretty much the same week the club has turned down £25,000,000 profit on White.

Ozymandias86

Jun 24, 2011
Kanazawa
It’s not a case of ‘us letting him go’ - he had a China-specific release clause (which we agreed to include) that was met, so they get to talk to the player. Simple as.

In terms of Mooy, I don’t think we can really bemoan his contribution at all - some decent games and seemed to be a trusted squad member (maybe less so post permanent signing and v much agree game time would have been thin on the ground this season). V harsh to use the villa game as a stick to beat him with, too. I’m guessing he probably knew the way things were going maybe even requesting the China get-out - another season or two in the PL before going closer to home for a final pay day. Goes with my thanks and best wishes. Excited to see what the new kids on the block can do in his place!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We aren't very good at making decent profits from players we sell.

No wonder they always go with undisclosed.

whow would you know if they are undisclosed? :shrug:

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
If a China-specific clause is built in the contract, must have been in his plans all along? Good luck to him. I was really pleased when we got him on board.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Seems strange but so did his loan and transfer at the time. Huddesfield fans couldn't believe he had just signed a new contract with them, but when you dug into the details it actually made sense because they ended up with some money from us rather than nothing.

I also recall reading on a forum (can't remember where) that his intention was to play abroad after Huddesfied.

Looks to me that Brighton was always potentially a short term arrangement (which made sense to both Huddesfield and us), which he was completely upfront about and was just waiting for the right offer to come in.

1) Brighton made a small profit.
2) Huddesfield got something rather than seeing him leave for nothing. He signed a contract only on the basis he would be loaned out.
3) Moor finally gets his retirement plan together.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This could be our toughest season yet, championship players with a couple of old heads and prospects from the U23’s.

Spence,Spence, hello Spence, is that you Spence?
Something's not right, you best speak to Bozza.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This could be our toughest season yet, championship players with a couple of old heads and prospects from the U23’s.

...? Its basically the same squad as last season but with Duffy (likely) out and White/Veltman in and Mooy out and Lallana in. I fail to see why this squad would be worse than last years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here