Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Mooy joins Shanghai SIPG

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I'm saddened by this. Mooy was the best passer in the team by a long way IMO (aside from Lallana, hopefully). I felt after the lockdown he was misused. One of his best games for us was against B'muff at home just after Christmas, and he played just behind the striker. He was fantastic, driving the team forward and proving very creative. When Potter put him out on the right post-lockdown he just didn't have the legs for it. Even so, he still was effective, like with his assist for Trossard's goal against the carrot crunchers.

I can completely understand the move on Mooy's part if he wants to be closer to Australia, but from an Albion perspective I'd much rather have seen Gross moved on than Aaron.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If IF the club made £1,000,000 profit on 30 year old Mooy, in 6 months, then that's quite a phenomenal bit of business.

Esp in pretty much the same week the club has turned down £25,000,000 profit on White.

Shanghai have paid just £4m, so in the range of the £5m paid in January.

E6861F85-9CF0-4E7E-AA24-554A5D739E27.png

His gross weekly wages at Shanghai according to Australian websites are £100,000.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This could be our toughest season yet, championship players with a couple of old heads and prospects from the U23’s.

Spot on....except...could interpret that as.....

Maupay has a great first season behind him
Connolly now more experienced
Alzate fit (presumably)
White back, good competition at CB
Dunk signed a new contract and will be fired right up
CL and PL winner and England international signed
Ajax captain, Dutch international and CL player signed
Lamptey introduced towards the end of last season and was a revelation
Potter has a season’s experience and kept us up despite fundamentally changing the way we play

Glass half full here [emoji106]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
...? Its basically the same squad as last season but with Duffy (likely) out and White/Veltman in and Mooy out and Lallana in. I fail to see why this squad would be worse than last years.

It comes to something when a Swede who's followed us for a season absolutely nails it.

Hats off sir. You may be on dodgy ground with pizza boxes, conspiracies and love dungeons but this seems to show you know more than some of our STHs about our squad.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If a China-specific clause is built in the contract, must have been in his plans all along? Good luck to him. I was really pleased when we got him on board.

Clearly the plan, with a bit a bit of oddness (and possibly loyalty) to Hudds. I seem to recall reading that he negotiated a new contract with them only the basis he could leave.

That came from an interview with their Chairman.

Also I remember reading on Twitter / Forum whatever, that quite a few "in the know" Hudds fans were very surprised he came to Brighton because they thought he was off to China to see out his career.

Brighton was basically a "gap year" :lolol:

It's quite an unusual situation where everyone wins, but the clear winner being Mooy who must have a fantastic agent.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Spot on....except...could interpret that as.....

Maupay has a great first season behind him
Connolly now more experienced
Alzate fit (presumably)
White back, good competition at CB
Dunk signed a new contract and will be fired right up
CL and PL winner and England international signed
Ajax captain, Dutch international and CL player signed
Lamptey introduced towards the end of last season and was a revelation
Potter has a season’s experience and kept us up despite fundamentally changing the way we play

Glass half full here [emoji106]

Potter’s got a feel for the PL now as has a few of his squad + Lallana, Veltman and a White Hot CB. In the words of jazz club... Nice

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It comes to something when a Swede who's followed us for a season absolutely nails it.

Hats off sir. You may be on dodgy ground with pizza boxes, conspiracies and love dungeons but this seems to show you know more than some of our STHs about our squad.

Well thank you sir... I remember coming here, hearing about Shane Duff and Lewis Dunky.. that quickly changed. I may not understand the world or life.. but I do get football

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Disappointed. Feels he’s much better than Gross, Mccallister, AJ who he was vying with and is more productive than Trossard. Do recognise that his finish to the season wasn’t as strong as the early half but feel he’s better than much of what we’ve got. Think him and Lallana’s intelligence coupled with some pace would have been great. Sure the club know what their doing though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here